Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Cracked windshield, no OE parts? TF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:38 PM
BoostedLSX
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked windshield, no OE parts? TF?

Talked to a dealer today that said they could get me a new windshield for around $1050.00. Incidentally I also looked up the part number on a thread started nearly 5 years ago, both indicate that OE windshields with (hud), (slr contr), (4.8mm), (shaded) options windshields are no longer being sold nor stocked by suppliers/dealerships. Thought it was BS so now a few years later I call my local dealership and the only dealer with a DW 1514 windshield w/ above options is somewhere in Oklahoma at a backwoods dealer.. Someone tell me this is BS cause I need a new windshield and I've heard that the aftermarket one has a bug which causes the hud to be blurry or not show correctly or even at all. In some cases where OE windshields where requested, cars waited at dealerships in excess of 4 months for part/s? Wtf? I've called four dealers in my area, none have them in stock claiming not to have an oem supplier? Normally I wouldn't care but the car has less than 25k miles on it and I want an OE replacement. Also I'm not being picky but according to GM, they say that the C5Z windshield is 5.7 lbs lighter than a base model as well..

Aftermarket 'buggy windshield' part no.#
DW 1430
same options claimed, quoted 340.00$ installed, bs.

OE part no.#
DW 1514
(hud) (solar contr) (4.8mm) (Shaded)
40.3x63.6
$1366.50 after taxes on a cheaper comprehensive deductible and labor costs including primer, dam, and the other random stuff used for window install makes the price close to 1400 bucks..

Okay, lmao, this is a joke right? My insurance company will see the difference in prices and think I'm some pricky jackass who wants everything in tip-top condition and not pay for the OE part just like the stock TI catback being sold by dealers in excess of 2000.00$ they will of course recommend the DW 1430 to save money or not pay at all and this is Allstate with full coverage.

Last edited by BoostedLSX; 05-27-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Eric Reeves
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I just went through this two days ago. Make sure whatever you get has 4.8mm in the lower corner on the drivers side. It will also be engraved across the bottom of the backside when pulled out. Be leary of Chevy dealers and glass stores. Go to Gene at GM Parts Warehouse on here. He will quote you under $700 for Z06 windshield which is what I was quoted. FYI, get new weatherstrip and side moldings/clips everything because mine LEAKS on both sides now and I will have to get it fixed. Again, do not reuse anything or you will regret it.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Its been that way for a while. I had my windshield replaced twice starting in 2007 after the stock glass cracked as I was trying to remove the review mirror. The original installer screwed up the installation so I had really bad water leaks. He kept trying to patch it and it just kept getting worse. Finally, I stopped by my insurance agent and asked what should be done. They said why did you wait so long and State Farm paid another installer to install a new windshield and got their money back from the first one I chose. Neither windshield had the 4.8 mm markings and no GM markings. All they had was the standard aftermarket replacement markings and both were purchased from GM. Since the C5 is out of production the service parts guys buy to a spec and various glass suppliers provide the glass. Another thing that was noticed about the first replacement glass was a huge distortion on the drivers side. You could feel it with your hand. The second windshield didn't have the distortion.

Don't worry about the glass as much as the install. If you get somebody who doesn't know anything about C5s and has no idea what sealants the factory recommends you are facing a potential major issue.

By the way, don't worry about the cost of the glass your insurance will cover it. It isn't chargeable against you as it isn't a collision. Let the insurance company handle things and then you have a major player on your side if things get screwed up.

Bill
Old 05-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Mod 77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the heads up display work as well with the aftermarket glass?.....Gord
Old 05-29-2011, 07:03 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Had mine replaced last year by ins co..used Pilkington glass.Fit was great,tint was about the same and HUD works well with it.

No leaks......

\db2
carolina

Get notified of new replies

To Cracked windshield, no OE parts? TF?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Cracked windshield, no OE parts? TF?