Sponsored by:

[Z06] Help Needed! Driver door will not lock or unlock

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:26 AM
dh0765
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Needed! Driver door will not lock or unlock

I am having a problem with my drivers door lock. The drivers side door will not lock or unlock using the FOB or the switch on the inside door panel. The passenger door and rear hatch work fine. When pressing the lock or unlock button on the FOB or the door switch, I can hear a click inside of the door, but it doesn't lock or unlock. Would this be the door lock actuator? I am asking because I can hear a click in the door, but the locks just don't do anything. As a note, I have the passive turned off on the remote and in the DIC. Any help on this issue would be very much appreciated.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:32 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The relays in the door control module are toast.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ule-today.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...door-lock.html
Old 06-17-2011, 02:46 PM
dh0765
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. You seem pretty confident in this. I checked out your links to the other threads, and I have decided to try to tackle the relay replacement myself. I have already ordered the relays for the DCM. I will let you know how it goes, once I tackle this.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:20 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did this solved my door problem and now the other door doing the same thing. If you dont have great i mean really great skill needed to unsolder and solder back that relay than give this job to some electronic guru's, also needs a lot of patience no rush on this job. GL its a cheap fix.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:19 AM
jstaffon22
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too bought some relays from DigiKey but haven't installed them yet. I got thinking about the noises I was hearing when I locked and unlocked the door. It sounds like the actuator is trying to lock and unlock the door. If you hear the noise that sounds like the actuator does that mean the relay is ok?
Old 08-22-2023, 06:11 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

There's a guy in Maryland that I used to replace my door relays. About a year ago, turnaround a little over a week, and cost including shipping was about $60.00 for one board. Warrants them for life...

Autoclockrepair - Home

Last edited by bc6152; 08-22-2023 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:10 AM
jstaffon22
Heel & Toe

Thanks! I've book-marked his website. That's a great place. Thanks for your reply.

I'm trying to determine whether or not it's the control module. I know the relays are a common problem but I keep hearing noises coming from my door when I hit the lock/unlock button. It sounds like things are moving in the door but the lever doesn't always lock or unlock the door. I would think if the relay was not working, I wouldn't hear anything except a faint click from the relay and no locking and unlocking noise. Any thoughts on what I'm experiencing?

Last edited by jstaffon22; 08-23-2023 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:21 AM
bc6152
Drifting

You may have to remove the door panel to see what's going on. If you do and find it's the relay you're half way there. Just remove the board and send it out. Otherwise it may be obvious if the actuator.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-23-2023, 09:34 AM
jstaffon22
Heel & Toe

Yea...that's what I was thinking too. I've been putting up with this issue for a couple of years now. It's probably time to bite the bullet and get it done. I'm fine with doing the soldering myself, I just hate tearing into the car door. I've only got 20K miles on the car and everything looks brand new. Thanks again!

Old 08-23-2023, 09:45 AM
bc6152
Drifting

Originally Posted by jstaffon22
Yea...that's what I was thinking too. I've been putting up with this issue for a couple of years now. It's probably time to bite the bullet and get it done. I'm fine with doing the soldering myself, I just hate tearing into the car door. I've only got 20K miles on the car and everything looks brand new. Thanks again!

https://youtu.be/4kmCaL54UdM
Get yourself a set of interior panel removal tools at Harbor Freight or Ebay. Take your time and pry each clip carefully. I have a '98 with only 22,000 miles so I feel the same as you. Don't want to wreck anything...
BTW the car looks magnificent. Love the red...
Old 08-24-2023, 07:03 PM
jstaffon22
Heel & Toe

Haha...I bought a set of those tools about two years ago. I can't seem to get the motivation to start taking things apart. I guess I'm chicken. Haha. Thanks, btw, for the compliment on my car. Every year I say I'm going to sell it...then I take it for a ride. Your car sounds awesome too! Thanks for taking the time to discuss this with me. Cheers!
Old 08-25-2023, 09:42 AM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by jstaffon22
I too bought some relays from DigiKey but haven't installed them yet. I got thinking about the noises I was hearing when I locked and unlocked the door. It sounds like the actuator is trying to lock and unlock the door. If you hear the noise that sounds like the actuator does that mean the relay is ok?
It's unlikely that both relays would fail at the same time.
I would say if it would lock OR unlock with the fob one day, then some number of months or years later it would do neither using the fob it's probably the relays in the door control module.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Needed! Driver door will not lock or unlock

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help Needed! Driver door will not lock or unlock