Sponsored by:

[Z06] LS7 Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default LS7 Clutch Question

I have finally had it with the clutch sticking to the floor. I dont beat on the car but do a couple of track days a year and am sick of the clutch. I have 404 RWHP and a 6800 fuel cut off. High RPM and clutch is on the floor. Have installed remote bleeder and new master cylinder with very little improvement. Everthing was good until about 35000 miles and some extra HP.
New clutch is my next step. thinking about a LS7 clutch with an alluminum flywheel. I hear the LS7 clutch weighs more and the aluminum flywheel will get me near to what the old clutch set up weighed. Wont lose any HP due to rotating mass.
Anyone have any comments on this combination.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:40 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Bobtam
I have finally had it with the clutch sticking to the floor. I dont beat on the car but do a couple of track days a year and am sick of the clutch. I have 404 RWHP and a 6800 fuel cut off. High RPM and clutch is on the floor. Have installed remote bleeder and new master cylinder with very little improvement. Everthing was good until about 35000 miles and some extra HP.
New clutch is my next step. thinking about a LS7 clutch with an alluminum flywheel. I hear the LS7 clutch weighs more and the aluminum flywheel will get me near to what the old clutch set up weighed. Wont lose any HP due to rotating mass.
I had an ls7 clutch installed when my power level was at 430 rwhp (RPS single came apart)and 6700 rev limiter. I did two seasons of track days (40-50) and never had a problem. Thousand of street miles also on that clutch, and lots of "quick" releases from a stop light. After I increased my hp to over 500 the clutch gave up. At your power level and number of track days you should be fine. It was as light as the stock one was, very smooth on release, good luck.

Last edited by GeorgeZNJ; 09-21-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:49 PM
HarryZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing the same clutch swap for the same reason. 410rwhp so I think it should work.
Will be at the track next month so I will post result.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I thought about the SAME combo this spring with my 04 Z06 (448rwhp/432rwhp). I talked to a bunch of folks and they told me that the flywheel needs to be balanced with the clutch (Machine shop). Extra $$ and hassle right there.

The LS7 clutch assy is 60lbs
The LS6 clutch assy is 50lbs

I ended up going with the Monster Stage 2 with the light weight 18lb flywheel. Good for up to 550rwhp. I am SOOOO happy I did because I can feel the lighter rotating assembly. It feels just like stock except the clutch engages at about mid way. Quicker rowing thru the gears !!!

See my review here on it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...pressions.html

Hope this helps.
Toque
Old 09-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Default Aluminum flywheel?

Harry and George did you go with the aluminum flywheels and what about the balancing problem posted.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
BLACK 01Z
Advanced

Check out the Mcleod rxt, I'm the same power level as you and I just
had it installed and it feels great.
I also have the Tick master so the pedal is a little stiffer than stock.

I took it to the drag strip after 400 easy miles and it was perfect never
missed a shift at 6800-7000rpm.

Great clutch and its rated up to 1000hp.
I also have the Mcleod billet steel flywheel.

Last edited by BLACK 01Z; 09-22-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:12 PM
98DC231
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Going this route, really want LS7 with an aluminum flywheel. Sick of the clutch sticking on the floor while only going 7/10ths.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:58 AM
zo6_yellow
Racer

Old 09-27-2011, 03:06 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Our Level 1 Monster is superior to the LS7 from the pressure plate to the disc in holding power and is conservatively rated at 450rwhp. Our Billet 18lb flywheel will allow the engine to rev quicker and rev match easier as the total assembly weighs 42lbs. You don't have to worry about balancing and it doesn't require a shim. Feel free to contact me with any questions about our clutch packages which include everything you need to do the install.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:48 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

How is the feel of the Monster clutch compared to the LS7? I want something that drives close to stock and has a similar feel. How is the engagement of the clutch?
Do you have a link to the clutch package?
Also, what is your turn around time on a clutch? I'm located near the Houston area and will need a clutch job within a month or so. Could you PM me a price please with install.
Its an 02 Z06

Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 05:02 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by ck9887
How is the feel of the Monster clutch compared to the LS7? I want something that drives close to stock and has a similar feel. How is the engagement of the clutch?
Do you have a link to the clutch package?
Also, what is your turn around time on a clutch? I'm located near the Houston area and will need a clutch job within a month or so. Could you PM me a price please with install.
Its an 02 Z06

Thanks
Here's a link to the clutches offered for the C5
http://www.monsterclutches.com/shop/...5corvette.html

Level 1 utilizes a pressure plate that has substantially more clamping force yet is only ~8% stiffer than stock because of the fulcrum point in the diaphragm springs. We can get you in and out in a day if you get here first thing in the morning. PM me your name, e-mail address and if you have headers and I'll send you a quote.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:11 PM
HarryZ
Advanced

Harry and George did you go with the aluminum flywheels and what about the balancing problem posted.
Used the Ls7 flywheel and Ls6 slave cylinder with the Ls7 clutch and pressure plate. Have not tracked yet.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:48 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Have yet to run into any balancing issues with the OEM units, some of the aftermarket flywheels did have to have some touch up to make sure they were correct.

The LS7 is a bigger clutch, both weight and diameter as well so there is more area there. For a budget upgrade it is a very good solution for a lot of guys as it drives OEM, and has no real grab to it.

You need to be careful with the aftermarket and know what you are getting into, especially with material as that can change how the clutch grabs, how it takes heat, and how they wear.

Clutches, like camshafts or anything else there is almost always something that you will give up, to get something else.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Have yet to run into any balancing issues with the OEM units, some of the aftermarket flywheels did have to have some touch up to make sure they were correct.

The LS7 is a bigger clutch, both weight and diameter as well so there is more area there. For a budget upgrade it is a very good solution for a lot of guys as it drives OEM, and has no real grab to it.

You need to be careful with the aftermarket and know what you are getting into, especially with material as that can change how the clutch grabs, how it takes heat, and how they wear.

Clutches, like camshafts or anything else there is almost always something that you will give up, to get something else.
If I go with the LS7 clutch and aluminum flywheel I would have it balanced. I like the idea of the of the lighter flywheel to make up for the weight increase of the LS7. Am l looking for trouble going in this direction?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:27 PM
HarryZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports

Listen to the man
Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Are you saying I should stay away from the aluminum flywheel with the LS& clutch?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:05 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a LS7 clutch and aluminum flywheel. 386rwhp. Although it might weigh about the same overall, the clutch disc itself weighs more. That makes it harder to shift at high rpm's. At least that's what happen to me.

Steve A.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Clutch Question

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 Clutch Question