[Z06] Monster Clutch Pack Causes Slave Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Ngineer
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Clutch Pack Causes Slave Failure

I'm new to forum and have searched for relevant postings and threads. I apologize if there is a thread that covers this specific problem. The problem and repair history is as follows:
Lost clutch in my stock C5, 2003 Z06. The problem was traced to leaking slave (w/contaminated fluid).
Contracted with an experienced, GM certified Corvette technician to replace the slave unit, flywheel and clutch.
Purchased a 12" Monster Clutch with 18 lb. flywheel (along with new slave and remote bleeder).
New parts installed, new slave leaks. Slave removed is extended too far and cannot be retracted against the compression spring
Mechanic orders new slave from GM and installs it in the car.
The latest slave leaks, but has not yet been removed, but we suspect the same failure as the previous repair.

A final note, no spacer was supplied and the instructions included clearly state no spacer was to be used. The service manual provides no dimensions on installed slave to ensure proper operation and prevent overextension and failure.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:19 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Even though it says no spacer, it sounds like you might need this(?)

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...im-kit-3-pack/

Just a guess.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Ngineer
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Spacer Thickness

I think it needs a spacer, but at 8 to 9 hours per teardown and repair, I'd like to know what to measure to ensure I'm putting the right thickness of spacer in place. Still waiting to hear from Monster; maybe they'll know how to measure.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Ngineer
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Tink Shim Kit

I'll send the link above to my mechanic and see if that helps us make the right decision. Thanks for the help!!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I have a stage 2 Monster clutch with a 18lbs flywheel. I did not need a spacer.

Toque
Old 11-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Ngineer
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Bad Clutch Parts

Talked to Steve (owner) today about this problem. Also talked to my mechanic. I guess the two of them are going to discuss problem resolution options.

My package was the Stage 1. If I was doing this (need a lift), I'd take some measurements to track down the problem, but I'm sort of a bystander in this, even though I'm paying the bills.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngineer
Talked to Steve (owner) today about this problem. Also talked to my mechanic. I guess the two of them are going to discuss problem resolution options.

My package was the Stage 1. If I was doing this (need a lift), I'd take some measurements to track down the problem, but I'm sort of a bystander in this, even though I'm paying the bills.

Make sure to post your findings on this issue. I am pretty much sold on installing the Monster Stage 1 and 18lb flywheel before spring. Sure as heck don't want to have to pay twice to put some $40 shims in...

Edit In looking at the TickShift clutch package again it comes with the shim kit.

Last edited by Omaha02Z06; 11-29-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Chaplain
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default me too...

Originally Posted by Omaha02Z06

Make sure to post your findings on this issue. I am pretty much sold on installing the Monster Stage 1 and 18lb flywheel before spring. Sure as heck don't want to have to pay twice to put some $40 shims in...

Edit In looking at the TickShift clutch package again it comes with the shim kit.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Ngineer
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Default We're tearing it down again

Steve, owner of Monster Clutch, talked with the mechanic today. No great epiphany resulting from brainstorming so they agreed to do another teardown and check the pressure plate for defects. Steve has agreed to overnight a new pressure plate if it is thought to be defective.

As for me, this is getting real expensive and I would still like to take some measurements on the parts before they are reassembled (see Tick Performance link above) before reassembling. The GM service manual doesn't provide any checks to be done before assembling, so the current process is put it together and hope it works.

I'll post again after the next try (#3).
Old 12-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Deviant LS6
Instructor

The GM process requires no measuring because they sell you the flywheel, disc and pressure plate as one unit and the stack height is already measured and adjusted to what factory specs are.

I always recommend checking stack height prior to install to ensure you get proper engagement.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:16 PM
0Joey@Tick
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngineer
Steve, owner of Monster Clutch, talked with the mechanic today. No great epiphany resulting from brainstorming so they agreed to do another teardown and check the pressure plate for defects. Steve has agreed to overnight a new pressure plate if it is thought to be defective.

As for me, this is getting real expensive and I would still like to take some measurements on the parts before they are reassembled (see Tick Performance link above) before reassembling. The GM service manual doesn't provide any checks to be done before assembling, so the current process is put it together and hope it works.

I'll post again after the next try (#3).
Kudos for Monster taking a hands-on approach and working with the shop to come up with a solution quickly. I have dealt with many clutch companies in that past that haven't been nearly as helpful when a potential problem arises. Make sure you do take the proper measurements as described on our website while everything is apart, and keep us posted.
Originally Posted by Deviant LS6
The GM process requires no measuring because they sell you the flywheel, disc and pressure plate as one unit and the stack height is already measured and adjusted to what factory specs are.
How I wish this were true! We've had to shim multiple LS6 and LS7 clutches before, unfortunately. Every car and every setup is different - it's imperative that you measure to determine if a shim is needed during every install, no matter the brand of clutch.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Ngineer
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Default The red car is back home

After three attempts to install the Monster Clutch, my mechanic has been successful. We were taking things apart to return all to SNL Performance as per Steve's request. When removing the pressure plate, the mechanic saw that the diaphragm fingers were in a different position, further extended, then they had been. With this change, he re-torqued the pressure plate and measured according to the instructions on Tick Performances web site (see post from Joey@Tickshift, this thread). So the assembly was completed and the clutch works flawlessly (maybe 100 shifts before getting the car home and putting it up for the winter).

The root cause of this problem is unknown. The mechanic, who is a GM certified Corvette tech, doesn't know what happened when he tried to remove the pressure plate. Steve @ SNL maintains that he has never seen this problem in over 3000 installs and believes something went wrong during the install, but the problem was not in the pressure plate. As for me, I'm not taking it apart to do a failure analysis. I'm already in to this project for $2.5K.

I would make the following suggestions and recommendations:
1. Since SNL custom builds these kits for each car, having a reference dimension from the diaphragm fingers to the outer surface of the bell housing would give a way to check the install prior to reinstalling the torque tube and/or
2. The included disc alignment tool could incorporate a feature that enabls a quick check for stack height to QC the install before completing the entire re-assemble.

I plan on completing an analysis on the original failure of the slave unit. The information Ranger has provided is essential to understanding, but doesn't explain why the clutch wear debris is able to bypass the wiper and seals ofl the slave and contaminate the hydraulic fluid.

I installed the remote bleeder so I will be able to easily accomplish Ranger's maintenance procedure. However, while this procedure may extend life, it is likely that it is only extending the useful service interval.

Get notified of new replies

To Monster Clutch Pack Causes Slave Failure

Quick Reply: [Z06] Monster Clutch Pack Causes Slave Failure