Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 10:33 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Halltech customer makes 467 HP with Halltech STinger-R package

In his own words:

"As several of you know , I am running the Stinger the Halltech package with the carbon fiber T1 option. I am using the MAFT in place of the AFR1 box.

Jim and his staff at Halltech are terrific people...they were a pleasure to deal with.

Now for the Goods! AWESOME!!! Ernie at Breathless Performance under his guidance had 1 of his technitions install the Stinger package for me. As you can see in my sig below I already had BPP's LT Step (2 piece design) headers and rear BPP X pipe installed and was still running the stock Ti cat backs...I later installed the Stniger cat backs.

After 6 weeks of of trying to dial in at 12.5 ( the MAFT adjusts at bigger increments than the AFR1 BOX...I would either run a bit to lean or rich...I could not not not the sweet spot).

2 weeks ago Ernie called me and asked me if I would be willing to swap my 2 piece Step headers for his new 1 piece design as a test project....the other set was going on Andy Pilgrims personal Z06. I took him up on the offer...what the heck...my Z06 was the 1st Vette to get the Step headers 8 months anyway.

In any event my car ran a tad bit richer....giving me the room to dial in at 12.6.

At 4PM yesterday I ran 397RWHP and 379RWTQUE on a Dynojet with winpeps..

I am not so keen about adding a under drive pulley...I have heard some negative comments regarding the effects on the A/C and lighting.....In any event I'm done with this project...My Head and Lunati custom grind cam just arrived....installation should take place within 2 weeks,

I want to thank Halltech and Breathless Performance for all their help...these are 2 AWESOME compaines.

Fubu/Les

BTW, I will be in my office somtime early this week...I will scan and post my sheets."

There are now 6 Halltech T-1 customers that have made BIG numbers with our STinger package. (T-1 Intake, Ported TB, RC injectors, AFR1 or MAFT)

Check out this thread for the plain truth about dyno tests and the T-1:

I have seen a couple of threads and received an email regarding disappointing dyno numbers with the T-1.

First of all the dyno.

We use R&D Dyno for all of our testing for a good reason. Consistency. Darren's dyno is 30 miles from our shop, and we have two dynos just around the block from our shop. We have dynoed on all three.

When you dyno test, the gross numbers are far less important than seeing the actual delta between the before and after.

When we drove our 2002 Z06 back from BG, our first stop was the dyno. Our results were all over the place. The best dyno was 345 RWHP, but most were around 337 RWHP. Disappointed wasn't the word that came to mind. Tom Easterday's 2001 Z06 dynoed 345/345 on the same dyno a year earlier.

I dynoed on two more dynos and noticed that the first pull was always the best pull. When the water temp went up to 212 the power dropped off 15 RWHP. In fact the best pull ever was with 195 water temps (350.8). The pull directly after that one, dropped to 334.7 (See dyno)

That same day we dynoed 367 RWHP/357TQ with Just the T-1

GM built the 2002 with much higher ring tension for better oil control and the piston to wall clearance is very tight. The 2002 takes many thousands of miles to properly break in completely, but the motor should be good for 250,000 miles easy.

It is the only motor I have ever seen that actually dynos less on all pulls after the first. Most LS1 and LS6 engines dyno better on subsequent pulls.

Halltech addressed these heat issues with our SideWinder package and spent over 3 months coming up with a specific combination of mods that work together.

If you take the T-1 by itself, you will see 12 to 18 RWHP, gauranteed. We got 16.2, and since our testing at least 20 other guys have made over 365 RWHP with just the T-1 on their 2002 Z06: Take a look at the stock dyno numbers above #11 #12, and compare them to the dynos 13, 14 and 15 done 35 minutes later with JUST the T-1. Dyno numbers don't lie, but how you interpret them makes a difference.

Check out this testimonial from one customer:
"Sidewinder dyno results
A friend of mine let me use his sidewinder to see how well it work before going out and shelling out $600. The car put down roughly 366.3 rwhp with the sidewinder. I had the dyno tech put my stock dyno up on the screen which actually went up in hp today because of the better air. This will make a far better accurate measure on how well it did..I originally made like 352.9, but today it jump up to 354.7 because of the better air...So that comes out to about a 12hp gain..The car was running rich at top end with the sidewinder so that could have cost me some ponies.."

and another:

"Cartek Inc.''DYNOJET RESULTS''are in after Halltech T1 install
Dynojet Results:
On 2002-Z06 3/7/02 tuesday 9:30 a.m.

Stock#'s w/2036 hard miles- pre-mod

H.P.=352.2
RWTQ=348.3
Flywheel H.P.=415.6
A/F=13.6@4800R.P.M

After Carbon T1 Sidewinder install w/TBCB #'s

H.P.=369.9
RWTQ=360.9
Flywheel H.P.=436.5
A/F=12.9@4800R.P.M.

I'm Running a little lean but no codes yet after 200 miles of spirited driving.

Thanx Dave at Cartek Inc. Garwood N.J.
Ph#908-317-4496
I highly recomend Dave's shop for any mod's.
Extremely professional
Tell him TROY sent you
Z-U-Later

I am completely satisfied w/the results, Jim Halltech's claims are now proven to me and I am convinced that his test results are up to par!

THANX JIM HALLTECH "

and another:

'02 Z06 w/ T1 Sidewinder Package and AFRC:

Actual HP: 395.4 hp
Torque: 378.6 ft. lbs.

SAE HP: 383.1 hp
Torque: 366.9 ft. lbs.

==============

'02 Z06 w/ T1 Sidewinder only:

Actual HP and Torque: don't have

SAE HP: 364.8 hp
Torque: 355.4 ft. lbs.

==============

Bone Stock '02 Z06:

Actual HP: don't have

SAE HP: 354.5 hp
Torque: 346.2 ft. lbs.

and another (2001) Z06:

My T1 Dyno Numbers
Here it is Folks!!!!

"I'm now the proud owner of a 415 HP 01

DynoJet
354 RWHP (corrected)
347.8 RWTQ

Uncorrected numbers were almost identical as it was 76 deg. and dry in Jax today

I didn't do pre-mod runs but if it was pushing 385 as advertised, I got a 30 HP increase from a couple of very simple mods.
And I'm happy as a clam
My first pull was the best.....at a coolant temp of 215. My numbers may have been a bit higher if I had the 170 Tstat and TBB

Definately a great day. Did all my own mods, scans and tuning and didn't need to touch a thing after the runs. My AFR was 12.3:1 which was a hair rich but not worth changing. Not too shabby for a rookie"

and a 2002 LS1 Convertible now making 405 HP:

and our dyno comparing stock, just the T-1, and the SideWinder Package:

I have a T-1C that is being returned because the customer cannot make better numbers than his previous intake. If folks would post their results on the forum, we could look at what is happening. One customer send me a dyno, and it was the actual hp rather than corrected. All of the actual numbers for our SideWinder mod have been in the 395 RWHP range.

Last but not least, the T-1C. Same numbers as the T-1:

"Just dynoed my 02 with Halltech T-1C, #30 R/C Injectors , AFR1, Ported TB
I dynoed my 02 Z with 1300 miles today I went down to Halltech and picked up T-1c, AFR1, #30 R/C injectors and ported TB . When I returned home I installed all of the mods it took me about 2 hours . After I installed the mods went to Swanson Performance in Torrance Ca and made 2 runs there was a person waiting for me to get off and I was late so I only got to make 2 runs. I set the AFR1 how jim told me to 5 clicks rich on the low and full lean on the high. Ran Autotap while on the dyno my L'trims were 0 no knock retard AFR was 12.0 need to be leaner but it was safe

Dynorun 001= Max POWER= 376.4 Max TORQUE= 346.4
Dynorun 002= MAx POWER= 374.6 Max TORQUE= 345.1

Well the car Is like a beast now im very happy that I did the mods

Swanson said that If he had more time to look at the autotap and play with the AFR1 he thinks that we could get more power out of the Z anyway im going back to the dyno soon

Last edited by TOM91722 on 05-10-2002 at 01:16 AM"

I have more, but I think it is safe to say, if you mix and match mods, don't be surprised if your numbers disappoint you.

Jim Hall

This should settle any question about our claims. Those that "Claim" to have no gain with the T-1 should post their before and after dynoes as we have done.

Here are a few more:

hcvone
Elite Member

14346 posts [100%]
Huntingdon Valley Pa

Re: Just got back after Dyno-ing the car with the Halltech T1 (SMFCPACFP) 11:35 AM 5/19/2002

I have been on the dyno for 18 sessions now, we have tested 3 sets of headers, different cat backs, different cats, different intakes and we saw 13.6 rwhp from just bolting on the T1 Sidewinder, the plastic Sidewinder made 2 hp more than the carbon fiber, that was before the computer was reprogrammed, the car was 100% stock with just a Sidewinder bolted on.
_______

Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.
**2002 Z06 Electron Blue/Mod Red** http://www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: Zaino@hcvind.com

opticZ06

300 posts [100%]
Atlanta GA

Re: Just got back after Dyno-ing the car with the Halltech T1 (Jim Hall) 1:54 AM 5/19/2002

AFY my 02 made 356RWHP with no mods with 300 miles on it and with the Halltech it went to 371.9 RWHP, that is my dyno sheet on Jims site. I will be doing this test again soon I just purchased a new Electon Blue 02 Zo6 and will be doing the same testing and mods again. Jim you got anything you need tested on my new sled, your products always worked for me. AFY do this test, take the car to the 1/4 mile and make three pass with the stock intake and then change it out and do another three you will see a difference. Power Shifter I just wanted to be like you with the blue!!
Optic
_______

1/4 Times Quick Silver 2002 Zo6:
Motor Pass: (375 RWHP) 11.936 at 119.96 MPH
375 RWHP smash:
75 shot NOS 426RWHP 11.41 126mph
All 1/4 runs done on Stock F1's
Mods TTS long tubes headers, Halltech TRIC, X pipe, B and M Ripper shifter.
New Toy Bone Stock Electron Blue 02 Zo6 "Stock For Now'

ZO6Les

55 posts [100%]
Atlanta Georgia

Re: Just got back after Dyno-ing the car with the Halltech T1 (Afy) 6:12 PM 5/16/2002

I am sure Jim will stand behind his product. Every car is different but one thing for sure is that MOST of the 02's run pig rich from the factory and the T1 can't fix that by itself. If you add more air (via any intake) and the computer adds even more fuel (common) you will lose HP (or not gain much) until you get a MAFT and get the A/F close to 12.8.
If you believe that a MAFT somehow exceeds the bolt on claim and find dyno tuning beyond your capability or interest then I highly recommend you keep the car bone stock and enjoy it as is! IMO you need a T1, MAFT, injectors, 170 stat and fan controller to get the best bang for the buck when doing any bolt on mod to these fine cars.
In my case I picked up 12 RWHP with the T1 alone and after MAFT and 30# injector install I picked up another 11 RWHP under the curve - peak was about 15 RWHP.
Les
_______

02 QS Z06
370 RWHP
12.19 @ 115.66 MPH
Halltech T1
30# injectors and MAFT
170 stat and Vinci Fan Controller
Vinci springs, push rods and rockers
B&B Shortie headers

Jim Hall

[Modified by Jim Hall, 5:10 PM 5/19/2002]
Old 05-12-2002, 10:37 AM
VettTheRipper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Halltech customer makes 467 HP with Halltech STinger-R package (Jim Hall)

Way to go Jim. One of those testimonials was mine. Here's another......
My car was recently in the shop for a few days. The tech said after driving it that it felt stronger than the 02 models he had driven. Of course I had done some additional MAFT tuning since my posted dyno numbers :cheers:

[Modified by VettTheRipper, 2:39 PM 5/12/2002]
Old 05-23-2002, 09:27 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Halltech customer makes 467 HP with Halltech STinger-R package (Jim Hall)

I'm familiar with the MAFT. What is the AFR1?

:confused:
Old 05-24-2002, 12:00 AM
Afy
Team Owner

Location: Waiting for a flight Trying a Peaceful State of Mind
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '15

Jim,
i am glad his car ran a 12.6 considering that a sto Z06 s supposed to run a 12.5 ...

mine ran a 12.2 with the T1..

With the stinger he made 367 RWHP so.. if I decide to get the Stinger package I shoud gain a grand total of 6 RWHP.. :confused:

will post the airwaybill in the morning.. your intake is on its way back to you. I am sorry but I am not a happy camper..

Old 05-24-2002, 02:57 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Halltech customer makes 467 HP with Halltech STinger-R package (Afy)

Eveyone that has installed the T-1 properly have made the numbers claimed.

The couple that didn't had the MAF in backwards, which causes a rich condition.

Have you posted your before after after dyno sheets. There are folks interested in your results.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:40 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I may have missed it above, but what makes up a stinger package?

Old 05-24-2002, 11:13 AM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Halltech customer makes 467 HP with Halltech STinger-R package (rschiltz)

So what happened with Afy's car? I think we all want to know how that was resolved.

My Dad is waiting to order one depending on whether or not Afy's car actually made power.

Ed
Old 05-24-2002, 11:59 AM
Afy
Team Owner

Location: Waiting for a flight Trying a Peaceful State of Mind
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Re: Halltech customer makes 467 HP with Halltech STinger-R package (EdwardETraylorIII)

I will send out the dyno's to anyone intereseted..

If anything My car lost power.. and with all due respect to Jim.. the person who did put in the filter.. builds race cars for a living. His daily driver runs in the low 10's.

In anycase I am dispatching the intake back to Jim today.. and hopefully he will refund the cost+shipping.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:14 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Halltech customer makes 467 HP with Halltech STinger-R package (EdwardETraylorIII)

Hey Ed, nice talking with you today. Hope your enjoying your T-1 as much as I do.

Jim
Old 05-28-2002, 10:15 PM
Gen II
Instructor

Eveyone that has installed the T-1 properly have made the numbers claimed.

The couple that didn't had the MAF in backwards, which causes a rich condition.

Have you posted your before after after dyno sheets. There are folks interested in your results.
For the record, what's the claim?
Old 05-30-2002, 03:09 AM
Gen II
Instructor

Default Re: Halltech customer makes 467 HP with Halltech STinger-R package (Gen II)

Jim, for the record, what is the claim. Not to put words in your mouth but 8-15 RWHP and 6-10 RWT seem logical.

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech customer makes 467 HP with Halltech STinger-R package

Quick Reply: [Z06] Halltech customer makes 467 HP with Halltech STinger-R package