Sponsored by:

[Z06] ***Bi-xenon ACA projector headlight by Radioflyer: GP1!!***

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Default ***Bi-xenon ACA projector headlight by Radioflyer: GP1!!***

The Bi-xenon Radioflyer ACA Projector Headlight is the most powerful headlight system for the 97-04 corvette that retains the factory flip-up look. These take the already popular ACA headlights and modify them with a tuned and aligned Bi-xenon main beam projector.

(photo curtsey of "Mr bill")

The "bi-xenon" projector is capable of producing both high and low beam patterns by using a very small 12v current to move the cutoff shield. This allows for instantaneous high beams with a wider pattern and virtually no additional current draw over the normal setup.

The ACA design lights was plagued with an alignment issue where the high beam did not line up correctly with the low beam. Since the housing is a single solid unit, the high and low cold not be independently adjusted. Therefore a car with correctly aimed low beams would find the high beams useless. The projector modification I offer can correct for this by angling the projector to match where the high beam will hit.

The Kit I offer will come with a 55w HID kit. This is the same type of kit used on the now legendary Light cannon and stealth light cannon headlights. With nearly 3 times the luminosity of the factory halogen bulbs, and with a projector housing specifically designed for this bulb, the result is the ability to see further in the dark resulting increased safety and reduced fatigue.

Q: What makes Light Cannons superior to other options?

- OEM: Your OEM headlights have a horrible pattern and the bulb only produces 1000 lumens. It’s almost dangerous to drive on an unlit or poorly lit road.

- Aftermarket halogen bulbs: These draw more wattage and will often fail faster than OEM bulbs. In addition most “blue tinted” bulbs produce less usable light since the tinting eats up the light output.

- HID plug and play kits: The output of the HID bulbs are limited to the poor reflector and lens of the OEM light. There’s often a horrible glare and the output has hotspots that hamper your night vision.

- T84 Euro spec headlights: This kit requires 120 watts of power to get the same amount of output as the light cannon kit and the T84s are not HID friendly housings.

- ACA Original: The second best option, but many have reported the high beams section of the housing is not correctly aligned with the low beams resulting in a high beam that shoots into the sky instead of down the road.

- Modified ACA: This is the ONLY Bi-xenon projector-based HID headlight offered for the C5 that retains the pop-up feature. Superior optics and elegant styling make this the pinnacle of Corvette performance lighting.

Notes on the Modification:

The most noticeable difference was the increase in width of the modified lights. The modified lights had a beam spread of 76 degrees (the full width of a 16' garage door at 10 feet) compared to the original projector's 60 degree width.

ACA projector with 5000K 55w H9 HID bulb:

Modified projector with 5000K 55w HID bulb

The 16 degrees of additional width may not seem like much, but at a distance of 50 feet, the modified projector will illuminate an additional 10+ feet on either side!

You'll also notice that the modified projector focuses the most amount of light at the top of the cutoff while the factory projector has a distinctive hot spot in the center. This results in "tunnel vision" for the ACA projector while the Modified version illuminates in a more uniform pattern making the entire road light up.

Now on to the high beam alignment issue. This seems to be the most common complaint among ACA users. A the housing is a single unit, there's no real way to adjust the high and low beams interdependently. The test shows that the ACA high beam is aimed far to low to be of any use.

ACA low beam:

ACA high beam:

ACA Low and High beam

The High beam should be aimed dead center on the step of the cutoff or slightly higher. The current ACA kit has the high beam aimed below the cutoff which means on the road it will be useless.

The Modified projector solves this problem in 2 ways. First, the projector is tilted down slightly to compensate for the high beam's position:

Modified ACA low beam:

Modified ACA high beam halogen over low beam

The second solution is the bi-xenon mechanism which moves the cutoff shield on the projector down to allow for a full-spread of the light. As you can see most of the light in the high beam pattern comes from the projector. In this kit the halogen bulb will serve mostly as a signaling device to other drivers. Unlike other HID high beam setups, the Bi-xenon mechanism has zero warmup time, draws virtually no additional current and can be flashed repeatedly with no damage to the HID bulb.

Modified ACA High beam with Bi-xenon high beam

The last significant difference is the quality of the beam pattern. The ACA projector is a very simple design with a flat cutoff shield designed to be easy to mass produce. As a result the optics were only focused correctly at a small part of the beam pattern resulting in a skewed cutoff pattern:

ACA cutoff pattern:

The Modified projector has a curved cutoff shield that correctly focuses light across the entire width of the pattern and contributes to the useable width of the beam.

Modified ACA cutoff Pattern

It's also noteworthy that the modified headlights look exactly like they came from the factory in appearance:

For more information on the development of these lights and a review from the owner of the first prototype set, visit:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...onversion.html

To get on the GP, visit one of the 2 links below. I will be offering this product as a complete kit, or as a modification to current ACA owners. The GP will last from Today through Sunday March 25. From there it will be about 2-4 weeks until the kits begin to ship.

Complete kit: $600
http://shop.radioflyerinnovations.co...dlights-15.htm

Modification: $275
http://shop.radioflyerinnovations.co...cation-016.htm

For this first group buy, I will require that those getting the modification to their existing ACA units send me their lights. I will install/aim/test the projectors and the mounts. Once I am satisfied with the consistency of the modification, I will begin offering the upgrade kit with projectors, adapters harness and HID kits for customers to install it themselves.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:11 PM
SJSZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interested in this!
Just can't decide whether to send you my ACA lights or wait for the kit...

Since my Z06 is no longer my DD, I might just have you do it so I know it's done right. Just not thrilled with packaging and sending them...
Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I might be interested once you start sending the conversion kits out... if I already have an hid kit for the aca's will it transfer over to the bi-xenon projectors?... do you modify the cutoff shield or is it left as is from the manufacturer?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Can you do the Halo rings on the modified ACA units ?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by neutron82
I might be interested once you start sending the conversion kits out... if I already have an hid kit for the aca's will it transfer over to the bi-xenon projectors?... do you modify the cutoff shield or is it left as is from the manufacturer?
You will need new HID bulbs (which i can provide). no modification to the projectors will be needed.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Can you do the Halo rings on the modified ACA units ?
Not at this time. I would only be able to a halo on the projector since the High beam has an oblong reflector.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:02 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

ttt
Old 03-20-2012, 01:26 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

This is very cool. Complete plug and play housing. Although I like the way your light cannons look, this looks like a much easier install.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:33 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
Not at this time. I would only be able to a halo on the projector since the High beam has an oblong reflector.
Would your Light Canon high beam retrofit into the housing in place of the ACA high beam?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:31 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Would your Light Canon high beam retrofit into the housing in place of the ACA high beam?
Not without significant modification and a definite weather-sealing issue.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:15 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

ttt
Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 AM
SJSZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

You will need new HID bulbs (which i can provide). no modification to the projectors will be needed.
Don't you have to modify the projectors to allow moving the shield?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by SJSZ06
Don't you have to modify the projectors to allow moving the shield?
No, I'm using entirely new projectors that have significantly better performance. The ones that came with the ACA kit were generic and easy to mass-produce, but lacked critical elements like a compound-contoured reflector bowl or curved cutoff shield. This is what makes the patten from the modified ACAs so much wider and better focused.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 AM
SJSZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

No, I'm using entirely new projectors that have significantly better performance. The ones that came with the ACA kit were generic and easy to mass-produce, but lacked critical elements like a compound-contoured reflector bowl or curved cutoff shield. This is what makes the patten from the modified ACAs so much wider and better focused.
So for the conversion if I send you my current ACA's then you replace the projectors? Just want to be clear what all is included.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Evil Oil Apologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Order sent!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:39 PM
SJSZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Evil Oil Apologist
Order sent!
Ditto!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Ordered.

You know when your car is getting old when you have to order Bi-focals for it.
Hell, I'v been wearing them for a number of years so why not the car.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To ***Bi-xenon ACA projector headlight by Radioflyer: GP1!!***

Old 03-23-2012, 12:24 AM
soroZ
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Why does the non pop up design cost twice as much? I am just curious I am interested but the price is VERY steep for me.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:45 AM
TheDVS1
Drifting

You will love the bi-Xenons! With the halogen hi-beams running at the same time, the light output is phenomenol. I've been running this setup for over a year now and I look forward to driving at night!

Doug
Old 03-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Evil Oil Apologist
Racer

I get the impression that the so-called bounce factor is simply related to good focus light patterns (cuts off high so there's a stark contrast), and the fact that OEM lenses scatter light all over the place. Good lord, GM Vette lighting on the '03 Z is horrible.

Looking forward to this upgrade.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ***Bi-xenon ACA projector headlight by Radioflyer: GP1!!***