Sponsored by:

[Z06] What's up with Z06 spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:03 PM
bing44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with Z06 spark plugs

I can understand why GM wants to protect their plug wires which explains the shield, but I can't for the life of me get the spring at the plug end of this shield/spring/boot. The biggest nightmare of doing the valve spring upgrade was getting the plug wires to stay on the plugs. I eventually succeeded, but don't have a warm, fuzzy feeling for the reliability of the wires. Am I missing something here? The manual says to twist them a half turn (or maybe a quarter) but ...........pfffft.......no help. What really is going on here?

jim
Old 03-25-2012, 10:17 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bing44
The biggest nightmare of doing the valve spring upgrade was getting the plug wires to stay on the plugs. I eventually succeeded, but don't have a warm, fuzzy feeling for the reliability of the wires.
When I did my valve spring replacement, I ended up destroying about 1/2 the spark plug wires, so I just bought a nice aftermarket set of silicone plug wires and threw the OEM wires in the garbage.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 AM
bing44
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
When I did my valve spring replacement, I ended up destroying about 1/2 the spark plug wires, so I just bought a nice aftermarket set of silicone plug wires and threw the OEM wires in the garbage.
Well that was certainly my first choice, and the day ain't over yet. I looked at it as a challenge though. and eventually got them all on, but I will probably change them soon because I don't trust them. Too bad there's no mention of what their intent was; this is the dumbest thing I have seen next to putting hard pipes directly in the way of the plugs.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

grounding/EMI sound?? I don't have the correct answer....but if you replace, go with the LS2/7 GM wires, can't beat OEM
Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 PM
pit-pony
Burning Brakes

Anyone have the GM part number for the best plug wire set?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by pit-pony
Anyone have the GM part number for the best plug wire set?
www.gmpartshouse.com ask for the LS2/3/7 wires, IIRC they are all the same
Old 03-27-2012, 06:42 PM
pit-pony
Burning Brakes

Thanks.
The NGK wen site shows different looking wires for the LS6 vs LS2/LS3 ??

While were at it may as well swap for new plugs.
Which ones are you using?

PTR5D-10 Double Platinum
TR5IX Iridium
1ZTR5B11 Iridium long life
TR5GP Platinum
TR-5 cheapo

Last edited by pit-pony; 03-27-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 AM
KrispyZ06
Racer

*Subscribed.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the GM performance plug wire set from Gene at GM Parts House. They're the red ones with black tops. Work excellent and should last a long time.

On plugs. Save yourself money. NGK TR55 V-Power. They're about 2 bucks each. They tuners and performance builders seem to pick these consistently. That's what's in mine with new head/cam package. That's what I put in there previously. Never had problems with them. The GM plugs that came in it should actually last quite a lot of miles. I can't remember if they are iridium or platinum but they last. When I pulled mine at 40K they looked pretty good.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:11 AM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
Get the GM performance plug wire set from Gene at GM Parts House. They're the red ones with black tops. Work excellent and should last a long time.

On plugs. Save yourself money. NGK TR55 V-Power. They're about 2 bucks each. They tuners and performance builders seem to pick these consistently. That's what's in mine with new head/cam package. That's what I put in there previously. Never had problems with them. The GM plugs that came in it should actually last quite a lot of miles. I can't remember if they are iridium or platinum but they last. When I pulled mine at 40K they looked pretty good.
Iridium. Just replaced mine. And they're probably Denso.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by vms4evr

The TR55 is a hard plug to beat if anyone is stock or bolt on only. Once you get up over the 400 rwhp range you typically will move to a TR6 plug.

I change my plugs about once a year and swap between a plug I use for the street and my nitrous plug.

Get notified of new replies

To What's up with Z06 spark plugs

Quick Reply: [Z06] What's up with Z06 spark plugs