Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Is There a Major Issue with C5 Z06 Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 AM
alnassak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is There a Major Issue with C5 Z06 Transmission?

I am looking to buy 02-04 C5 Z06 and I have found 5 in my local country, however, all of the 5 have issues with their Transmissions!

2 of them have just replaced it with new one

Another one has problem when shifting to 4th gear

Another one has problem when shifting to 5th gear hardly it can get to R mode!

Another one has problem when you shift to reverse, it doesn’t go smoothly you have to keep trying for minutes!!

So, it is obvious that there is in issue with the transmission especially if you know that all of these nice C5 Z06s are almost stock and have low to mid mileage!

My question is, if I decide to go with C5 Z06; How can I avoid these issues..? Or, shall I wait 8 months and get a 09 C6 Z06..?

Your cooperation is highly appreciated.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 AM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NO. The stock C5Z transmisions are pretty stout units. I havent had any issues with mine,thank the Lord,other than the notchy shifter,which ill soon change with a shifter upgrade. If youve found that many Zs in your county with tranny problems, more than likely these cars have been drag raced,thrashed,on more than one occasion. You probably should wonder if theres other issues besides the transmissions on these cars. Keep looking. And if ou have the option of buying a newer car in 9 months, that might be the way to go if you cant find a decent C5Z,but Im sure if you keep looking you'll find one.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles on these cars? How were they driven? What condition is the rest of the car in? I have not heard of any special troubles from C5Z trannys. If you don't mind spending the money and don't have a special attraction to the C5 like I do, I would get the 09. Huge difference' but some like myself, just would rather have the C5. Good luck with what ever you do.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 AM
alnassak
Instructor

^ Thank you for your replies. For time being, I will keep looking!

Actually, I like the look of C5 Z06 more than I do with C6 Z06.

Any other feedback ..?

Last edited by alnassak; 04-03-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

PPL that had challenges with the Stock trans, abused them ie power shifted.

the stock trans is VERY STRONG, but not meant to be power shifted.

Good Luck
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Although there are no known defects with the C5 Z06 transmission, you have to look carefully at the car's history if possible. As mentioned above, the trans is not intended to be power shifted - the aluminum shift forks will tend to bend. That can cause the problems you've seen with difficult shifting. This is also a problem with the C6 Z06 trans so you're not going to get away from it. Settle on the car you want and be prepared to have the trans rebuilt sometime in the future. When you do, be sure to specify that you want the upgrade forks. Good luck!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 AM
mchicia1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup my Dad's had issues at only 15k miles and didn't even shift it hard...was a shift fork. No issues in my '99 and it is heavily modded. Could be just the luck of the draw or maybe the previous owner power shifted it, but I do read about many c5z's having the same issue.

Last edited by mchicia1; 04-03-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:56 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Unfortunately they get drag raced and street/drag raced. This car was never really intended to be a drag racer. It's a road racer. I've had 2 of them and several friends have them. The only ones with trouble drag race them.

Also if it is just rough shifting and low miles. Probably still has stock fluid. Dump it and put in a good synthetic like RP Synchromax. Smooths up the shifts and last much longer.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:28 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Just remember the car you are looking for is 8-10 years old and has probably been through several owners and more than likely been driven hard or had race track days.. Thats what these cars are made for and what people use them for.. There are still plenty of used 1 owner low mile bone stock garage queens out there.. Take your time and be patient. It may take awhile.. Buy from an individual instead of a dealer..
Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

My 02 Z06 had a transmission problem when I bought it. Bad thing was that I didn't find that out till after I bought it. I'm still glad that I bought it. I replaced the clutch and trans and now I feel good knowing that both are new. I plan on keeping the car for a number of years so I'm OK with that. I don't power shift, I don't see the need to do that.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:37 PM
RW Foster
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm the 2nd owner of my 2004 Z06. I bought it in 2008 and it had only 10K miles on it. The original owner had the transmission replaced under warranty at around 5K miles.

The only issues I've had are that it sometimes doesn't want to go into reverse. And, when I had the oil changed recently, the dealer said the gasket where the tranny mates to the torque tube was wet. However, I have no drip spots on the floor of my garage where it sits when not being driven.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:42 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by David426
Thats what these cars are made for and what people use them for..
This.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:46 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RW Foster
The only issues I've had are that it sometimes doesn't want to go into reverse.
First shift into 3rd or 4th gear, then try reverse, and I bet it will drop right in without a problem.

EDIT: I've driven a Dodge pickup and a Honda sedan that also didn't like reverse, so I think this may be a common issue with manual trans. Something about the reverse gear being cut the opposite direction of the forward gears.

Last edited by skyavonee; 04-03-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

If you shift them hard or miss a shift you might bend the aluminum 3-4 shift fork in the 01 & 02 models, also the weak stamped synchro keys will likely break in all years. I had to fix my tranny and upgraded to heavy duty components, bronze pads, billet keys, and steel 3-4 fork. So if you find a stock tranny that has been power shifted or you do power shift, chances are it does or will have problems.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:21 AM
alnassak
Instructor

Thank you guys for your worth feedback, I really appreciate your support.

Ok, now if I buy one with no tranny issues; how can I upgrade its Tranny..? I mean what are the parts that I have to replace..? And how much it will cost me..? I would
appreciate if you provide some links to the parts.

Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I haven't abused my transmission and it grinds in 4 when its cold. I've owned the car since 34k miles and it has about 90k on it now. Fluid was changed with my clutch about 20k miles ago. The grinding was the same before and after.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 AM
C5_LS6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RW Foster
I'm the 2nd owner of my 2004 Z06. I bought it in 2008 and it had only 10K miles on it. The original owner had the transmission replaced under warranty at around 5K miles.

The only issues I've had are that it sometimes doesn't want to go into reverse. And, when I had the oil changed recently, the dealer said the gasket where the tranny mates to the torque tube was wet. However, I have no drip spots on the floor of my garage where it sits when not being driven.
I am also the 2nd owner of my 2002 Z06. I just bought it 4 weeks ago with only 42k miles on it. The original owner (age 65 as of today) told me and documented it that there was a (Silent Recall) on his transmission and they had to rebuilt it on 7/23/2004 for free with 21k miles on it at Graff Chevy in MI. He also had the steering column lock recalled and fixed the next year later at Simms Chevy, buy anyways he said it was getting hard to shift. After the rebuild he never had a problem with the trans ever again. I think it feels very durable and strong, and works very well. I like it.

Get notified of new replies

To Is There a Major Issue with C5 Z06 Transmission?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 AM
Camaro_94
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My transmission went when mine was bone stock. 4th gear decided it didn't like me anymore and went on strike. I read it is somewhat common. I'm pretty sure the 03/04's have a stronger transmission than the 01/02 Z's. I didn't read too much into it. I just bought a built one from RPM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:48 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Frankly...these trannies have a lot of flaws that can easily fail and require a full rebuild to repair. First is the pot metal keys, second is the plastic slider pads...then the shift forks, especially before 03...

The pot metal keys are the worst and I can not believe they were ever used in a performance tranny... My bone stock 25k mile, never abused tranny sheered a key and got stuck in 4th gear permanently... Never once powershifted... I spent $3200 to rebuild/upgrade the tranny... So far, so good but I still shift it easy..

Personally I think these trannies are junk...they cost a lot to repair and will likely break again. If you even remotely drive these cars the way you would expect a performance car to be driven, the trannies break in no time..
Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 AM
alnassak
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Frankly...these trannies have a lot of flaws that can easily fail and require a full rebuild to repair. First is the pot metal keys, second is the plastic slider pads...then the shift forks, especially before 03...

The pot metal keys are the worst and I can not believe they were ever used in a performance tranny... My bone stock 25k mile, never abused tranny sheered a key and got stuck in 4th gear permanently... Never once powershifted... I spent $3200 to rebuild/upgrade the tranny... So far, so good but I still shift it easy..

Personally I think these trannies are junk...they cost a lot to repair and will likely break again. If you even remotely drive these cars the way you would expect a performance car to be driven, the trannies break in no time..

Your post bro made me think that I should forget about the C5 Z and wait 8 more months and then get the C6 Z

I would love to have a C5 Z now, but I don’t want to spend lots of money on it because I have no plans for keeping it more than 1 year. 2013 will be the year to get a 09+ C6 Z for me!

However, I am thinking now to skip the C5 Z and wait 8 months and then get the C6 Z. What is your thought on that idea guys..?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is There a Major Issue with C5 Z06 Transmission?