Sponsored by:

[Z06] ***Build Date/VIN Analysis of LS6 Valve Spring Failures***

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 05:08 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatMike
What are the Forum Senior Members gonna do about this?

Not so cheery . . . . .
Mike

Why would "Senior" forum members have any more responsibility to do something than you? If you want to carry the torch for a class action against Chevy, then have at it. I'm sure you'll have supporters. But, I personally don't really see the point. We're talking about cars that are 12-15 years old. And for all the broken springs, there have been comparatively few catastrophic engine failures.

Just my $0.02.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:35 PM
TomcatMike
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let's Git 'er Done?

Originally Posted by skyavonee

Why would "Senior" forum members have any more responsibility to do something than you? If you want to carry the torch for a class action against Chevy, then have at it. I'm sure you'll have supporters. But, I personally don't really see the point. We're talking about cars that are 12-15 years old. And for all the broken springs, there have been comparatively few catastrophic engine failures.

Just my $0.02.
Sky,

I’m retired. I’m new here. This is my first Corvette. I’ve been a Ford guy forever. My Dad, a staunch Chevy guy, laughed hard when I told him I came over to the dark side.

I figure that the more wise old “senior” heads of this Forum (those who have been around a while) would have a vested interest in resolving this less-than-optimum situation with the valve springs. Truly, I don’t mean to say things on your behalf or imply things that aren’t true.

By your own research and statistical analysis, which at face value looks robust and well done, kudos to you, we have guys who obviously love their cars, and who are terribly inconvenienced by a broken valve spring. This is not like a flat tire or a cracked windshield or a window that won’t roll up – this is a serious mechanical engineering casualty. At best, the car limps home, the owner gets it to a shop, and for about $800+ gets it fixed, after one or more days. The budget takes a hit, but the engine remains healthy, better than before.

At the worst, a spring breaks at very high RPM, the coil gets shoved outside the helical domain, the valve stays down (or is completely dropped), and we have a nasty internally damaged engine. About $7K+ or so to repair or replace. If this occurs 1000 miles from home, that would really stink.

Just how many catastrophic engine failures meet the threshold of “that’s enough?” When should this Forum be mad enough to hit Chevrolet between the eyes with news releases and an appeal to the NHTSA for a complete recall and mandatory replacement of the springs in the at-risk cars?

Just because the cars are 12-15 years old should not matter. I have almost 600,000 miles riding motorcycles. 67K of that was on a 750 two-stroke, but the rest of the miles have been on four-stroke bikes, and I never suffered a broken valve spring. Some of those bikes had redlines of 10,500 or more. My current 2003 Beemer boxer oilhead has almost 155,000 miles and is happily running just fine. Been all over the U.S. with it. I’ve driven cars perhaps 700,000+ miles. No broken valve springs. Two blown head gaskets on a Chevy wagon diesel. That was a pain and expensive. Valve springs for street cars should not break. If the car is raced, that’s a different story, perhaps, but I would think the bigger risk is valve-float past redline with subsequent valve / piston contact.

I’ve lived this dream before. In 2003, my wife and I were driving our 1996 Chrysler Concorde, with about 95,000 miles, to our daughter’s college for a football game. About 90 miles from home, the engine started knocking badly and got worse. The call for a tow and the roll-back return home to our home dealer was not fun, took all day. The Concorde had spun a rod bearing and ruined the crank and engine with metal debris. Over $5K with a “new” reman engine and three weeks later, we got our car back.

I can attest that this sort of thing is not fun. I’m retired and on a tight budget, so I’m not real keen on rolling the dice and wondering if I’m next. This should be a Chevrolet recall to fix ALL affected C5 Z06 engines. I repeat, valve springs on a street non-raced car should not break.

Again, I commend you for the excellent analysis of this bad situation. Your homework looks impeccable. I don’t wish to lecture or preach. This situation is unacceptable. I am willing to start the ball rolling and see if we can raise enough Cane to get positive responses from the NHTSA.

Feedback is welcome.

Mike
Old 12-09-2015, 08:06 PM
maxgee
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My 02 Z broke a spring in the way to tune a car. I was cruising at 70mph, then I felt power loss. Babied it home 44 miles 😁
Pulled valve cover on driver's side and voila, split spring 😕.
Ordered new set (came in blue) replaced and now back on the road.
79k miles on my Z.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:20 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I have an 03 Z06 with an 04+ LS6 crate engine.

Broke a blue spring at 30,000 miles.

Now has PAC 1218X on it.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:39 AM
TomcatMike
Advanced

Default Crate Engine Springs Failure

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I have an 03 Z06 with an 04+ LS6 crate engine.

Broke a blue spring at 30,000 miles.

Now has PAC 1218X on it.

That really stinks. I ordered OEM Genuine Chevrolet new springs and plugs and plug wires last week and they should arrive later this week. If all goes well, I hope to start the work this coming Sunday afternoon and hopefully wrap it up the next day.

Additionally, I am trying to compile a dossier on all this stuff, and combined with the excellent work of others on this thread such as Skyavonee, Trash, etc., I will try to carry the ball to Chevrolet. I'm good at writing letters (I have one in the works toward the incompetence of Nissan - long story), and mebbe the unfortunate owners who have suffered anywhere from inconvenience to complete engine loss can be compensated. It may take a Class Action Lawsuit.

But first, I have to get through my own valve springs replacement and through Christmas with the grandkids before I can buckle down to the real work.

Meanwhile, I encourage everyone to send me documentation of your own personal valve spring-related troubles, including the dropped valve / blown engine events. E-mail me at:
tomcatdriver@comcast.net

Provide as much detail as you can. I'm sure by now we're around 150+ broken springs events? How many destroyed engines? At what cost per new engine installation?

This really stinks. Folks, unless you mercilessly flog the engine past design requirements, valve springs should last hundreds of thousands of miles. Period!!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 12-26-2015, 09:05 PM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

'02 with 11,600 miles. VIN 068xx, 09/01 build date. Not in the high risk build time but looking into replacing springs due to being supercharged. Original owner claims no track time but no doubt "tested" it's abilities a time or two.
Great thread, thanks for the info.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Rick Radcliffe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have purchased the tools and done the job. It's not difficult at all. If you are in So Cal and would like to borrow the tools to replace your springs before you get a broken one, please PM me and I will make arrangements to get the tool and valve holder to you. If you want to come and do the job in my shop, that can be arranged also.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:06 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by switchplanner
'02 with 11,600 miles. VIN 068xx, 09/01 build date. Not in the high risk build time but looking into replacing springs due to being supercharged. Original owner claims no track time but no doubt "tested" it's abilities a time or two.
Great thread, thanks for the info.
I have the same exact build date as you on my 02 C5Z. I have 62k and some change on mine with stock springs. Im full bolt on with a Nitrous Outlet wet plate kit on a 100 shot.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:56 PM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rick Radcliffe
I have purchased the tools and done the job. It's not difficult at all. If you are in So Cal and would like to borrow the tools to replace your springs before you get a broken one, please PM me and I will make arrangements to get the tool and valve holder to you. If you want to come and do the job in my shop, that can be arranged also.
I'd take you up on your offer but I'm on the east coast. Can you tell me what spring compressor and valve holder tools you used?
Thanks.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:06 PM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GenerationX1
I have the same exact build date as you on my 02 C5Z. I have 62k and some change on mine with stock springs. Im full bolt on with a Nitrous Outlet wet plate kit on a 100 shot.
That's reassuring, thanks for sharing. I'm gonna see if I can check the spring color through the oil filler just for the record.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:42 PM
TomcatMike
Advanced

Default Valve Springs to be replaced next week

First of all, thanks in advance to Scott White for long-distance assisting me and answering a lot of questions. I attempted to do the job myself, but hit a couple of snags (long story, don't ask, it's boring). So I aborted the work and buttoned it all back up. I was successful in replacing the plugs and wires with all new stuff. So I will take the car to the local Chevy dealer on Tuesday the 5th. They will install the new springs that I have already purchased from GM PartsDirect.

Most difficult job of the plugs and wires was removing the plug wires from the plugs. The special GM tool for that is indispensable. No kidding. Recommend using some light grease and / or dielectric grease for re-installation of the new wires.

I also unbolted the small air-injection tubes, one on each side of the exhaust manifold, and moved them out of the way (I did some needed corrosion control of the threads before bolting back on). It made those particular affected plugs much easier to access. Once the wires are FINALLY off, the plug replacement is relatively easy.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 02-18-2016, 09:01 AM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Default Bump

Bump for a great thread. Any new valve spring stories out there? I'm planning on replacing mine with the 1218x springs when it warms up outside. Has anyone broken a 1218x spring? Any recommendations for a vendor to purchase them?
Thanks.

Last edited by switchplanner; 02-18-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:07 AM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by switchplanner
Bump for a great thread. Any new valve spring stories out there? I'm planning on replacing mine with the 1218x springs when it warms up outside. Has anyone broken a 1218x spring? Any recommendations for a vendor to purchase them?
Thanks.
Im confident the originals are breaking on a regular basis and that info never flows here.

To answer who you should purchase from......Brian Tooley Racing gets my vote.

The 1218 is a great replacement part that will serve well to the stock and smaller lower lift, less aggressive lobe design.
The following users liked this post:
switchplanner (02-18-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:08 PM
PowerGuy50
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

03 ZO6 - Spring Failure while idling at red light....52,500 miles.

New springs...new Brian Tooley springs installed yesterday

I was lucky no major damage however there were three different color springs.....yellow (failed)....there was a blue was next to it and the rest were no color metal (maybe at one time they were yellow). I am the second owner of the car.....previous owner did not tell me he had a prior spring issue.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2016, 05:30 PM
PowerGuy50
4th Gear

Forgot to attach this to the last post.....new springs
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2016, 10:12 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerGuy50
03 ZO6 - Spring Failure while idling at red light....52,500 miles.

New springs...new Brian Tooley springs installed yesterday

I was lucky no major damage however there were three different color springs.....yellow (failed)....there was a blue was next to it and the rest were no color metal (maybe at one time they were yellow). I am the second owner of the car.....previous owner did not tell me he had a prior spring issue.
Wait.... they left ONE yellow spring!?
Or maybe some huge coincidence; your car left the factory with THE last yellow 2 springs (one replaced with blue by PO) plunked in there?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:42 AM
PowerGuy50
4th Gear

Originally Posted by grantv
Wait.... they left ONE yellow spring!?
Or maybe some huge coincidence; your car left the factory with THE last yellow 2 springs (one replaced with blue by PO) plunked in there?
All springs (yellow, blue and other) are on my bench....all shiny new ones are installed.

Get notified of new replies

To ***Build Date/VIN Analysis of LS6 Valve Spring Failures***

Old 03-21-2016, 09:58 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

My 2002 Z06 (#130376 with 72K miles) broke a spring and dropped a valve while idling around town two weeks ago. Ruined a head but the short block was OK. Replaced the head with a new one and put new springs all around. The springs are whatever GM replaces Z06 springs with these days (no color).
Old 03-21-2016, 11:29 AM
maxgee
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

vin#134993 with 79k miles cruising at 75mph and broke spring on driver's side head. Spring only broke, replaced them all with the factory now blue springs. Frustrating ordeal, but glad I only had to do springs.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Corvette Maniac
Racer

Reading this I'm so glad I had mine replaced before it happened!!
Vin 131924 - may 2002 production...
I'm at about 65k miles now...

Last edited by Corvette Maniac; 03-21-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ***Build Date/VIN Analysis of LS6 Valve Spring Failures***