Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2002 Z06 Valve Spring Change Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 PM
corvette-1969
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Z06 Valve Spring Change Out

I have just changed the original 'yellow springs' in my 2002 Z06 to PAC 1218 Springs. Used the Trick Flow Valve Spring Compressor with air pressure to hold the valves up and everything went great. Although I was a little concerned the entire time about dropping a valve but no problems. Need help with turning main pulley to rotate the engine to TDC as called out in the Service Manual. There does not seem to be enough space between the pulley and the Rack and Pinion Gear Asembly that is in front of the pulley to use a socket and breaker bar to rotate the engine. Am I missing something? The Service Manual did not mention any 'special tool'. When facing the engine I should turn the pulley Clockwise? Does anyone know the reason for the rotation of crank to TDC and tightening certain valves and then 360 degree rotation and then tightening the other valves? Any helpful hints or special tool required would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve
Old 07-23-2012, 02:23 AM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

There does not seem to be enough space between the pulley and the Rack and Pinion Gear Asembly that is in front of the pulley to use a socket and breaker bar to rotate the engine. Am I missing something?
That is correct, there is not enough space. Two solutions. Jack the back wheels off the ground and put the transmission in 5th or 6th. Have some one rotate the back tires to thus rotate the engine. Look for the timing mark on the flywheel, #1 rockers etc. for TDC.

Option two, find a 22 or 23 mm (can't remember the flywheel bolt size) offset box end wrench. I looked high and low but couldn't find one. Instead I used a 15/16" offset box end wrench which is nearly the correct size. Since the plugs are out it's easy to turn the motor over. You can only get about 1/8 of a turn but that works out well anyways for what you're doing.

When facing the engine I should turn the pulley Clockwise?
For the life of me I can't remember.....sorry.

Does anyone know the reason for the rotation of crank to TDC and tightening certain valves and then 360 degree rotation and then tightening the other valves?
By following the service manual and tightening the appropriate rockers when #1 is at TDC ensures the lifter is on the cam base circle (all the way down). All the rockers you are to tighten on the first round are on the cams base circle which allows you to get the accurate torque spec for each rocker. The valve spring will be at it's maximum extended position in this case. Rotating the engine another 360 degrees gets the other half of the rockers on the cam base circle.

This may not be the most clear explanation but I think it will get you on the right track.

Dual valve spring compressor tool and a magnet for pulling out the keepers were two indispensable tools.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:28 AM
ACR Z06
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished my valve spring swap last month.

I had the same problem you are having. I went to AutoZone and picked up a 5 piece set of offset box wrenches which has the 15/16 that you need to turn the crank over. The whole set of wrenches cost me less than $20.00.

Patrick
Old 07-23-2012, 02:30 AM
ACR Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by Trash

Dual valve spring compressor tool and a magnet for pulling out the keepers were two indispensable tools.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:32 PM
corvette-1969
Intermediate

Thanks for the information. I'll try the 15/16" off set and see what happens.
Steve
Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 PM
XFordGuy
Intermediate

When I did my springs, I decided to change the accessory drive belt while I was there. I took an old strap wrench and replaced its rubber strap with a big piece of the drive belt. It made turning the crank by the pulley very easy.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:49 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette-1969
When facing the engine I should turn the pulley Clockwise?
Yes, that is correct.

Originally Posted by corvette-1969
Does anyone know the reason for the rotation of crank to TDC and tightening certain valves and then 360 degree rotation and then tightening the other valves?
That procedure is in the Service Manual to ensure that the rocker arms that are being tightened don't have any pressure on them (ie, the valve is not opened at all when the rocker arm is tightened down to 22 ft-lbs).
Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 AM
JLayer
Racer

Pull all the plugs and then just grab the belt up by the altenator to turn the motor. You'd be surprised on how easy it is. I tried turning the crank bolt with numerous wrenches and it just wasn't working. I also have a different pulley though. But just take the plugs out so there's no compression when turning. Easiest way IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To 2002 Z06 Valve Spring Change Out

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2002 Z06 Valve Spring Change Out