Sponsored by:

[Z06] C5z vs C6z 45-150mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Z06ness03
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5z vs C6z 45-150mph

Last weekend I had the pleasure of racing a bone stock C6z06 on a long smooth stretch from a 45-150mph roll and thought I'd share the story. Out by where I live is a road called the Berlin Turnpike. Its a large 4-6 lane road roughly 11 miles long and connects a series of major highways. Around the center of this road is a lot of major restaurants and bars and such, as well as your retails stores and gun shops. Its also the place where everyone brings their freshly waxed rides on the weekend. Some friends and i had just finished eating and were making our way to the highway to go home when we noticed about 200 cars, from vipers to porsche's to 370z to Sti's, all parked in a large parking lot and we decided to just drive through and check it out. It was here that I ran into the guy with the C6z06. He told me he had just bought the car, a black bone-stock 2007 z06 with only 22k miles. After a few rev's and a couple close looks at the tires/brakes he was curious about my c5z06. I told him it was lightly modded with just a intake, comp pushrods, and a tune that put down 378 whp and that the car was primarily built for road racing not drag racing. We talked for a bit to what soon provoked a high speed friendly competition of power. About a hour later after things had died down, and after going through a police road block for a quick breathalyzer, we where on route **. A long high way of 2 freshly paved lanes with no exit or on ramps making it a great place to do a little "spirited" driving. Getting on the highway side by side with the c6z, a blend of 5.7 and 7.0 liter gargle I flipped my head lights down to try to make up for as much of the power difference as i could. As predetermined we lined up in second gear at 45mph with a red 370z and a black procharged svt cobra behind us as the audience. With a very clean and steady, BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP we were off. At the very moment of the sound of 2 gm v8's beginning to rumble and wind up, for just a second i had a slight nose on him. A second later he was pulling at a slow walking pace gradually leaving me behind till the nose of my car was just at his rear bumper when we both shifted from 2nd to 3rd. Right as a grabbed 3rd I managed to bring my front bumper back to his rear wheel for a second and it almost seemed like i was about to maybe pull to his door when again he began to bellow on with the sound of his 7.0 and again pulled a gap on me. Slowly his car managed to distance itself from my front bumper by about 1/2 a car or roughly 8 ft from his rear bumper. What caught me as odd though was that it was less severe of a difference in 3rd than it was in 2nd considering the lengths of the gears. Anyway, I shifted into 4th just moments before him.. i am now approaching 110 mph and still within a 10ft distance of his back bumper. We run 4th gear out.. all the way to 150mph the longest of all the gears. It was during this time that the c6 managed to pull yet another 15 feet or so between our front and rear bumpers. As we left off the throttle his car was roughly 25 feet ahead of mine or roughly 1 1/2 car lengths. This was not a outcome i had been expecting, although i knew for sure i was going to lose, i was not expecting to be able to keep up with him so closely. Although 25 feet may seem like a lot of distance and it is.. over the length of time it took him to obtain that distance was not the difference of acceleration between a c5z and a c6z i was expecting. I had pretty kept up with him pretty well for what its worth. I would assume a stock c6z06 would be putting down roughly 435whp maybe 410 tq. At 3185lbs vs 3080lbs (lighter battery and tires) that's only 100 lbs difference, however most of that weight difference seems to be in spinning weight of the wheels/tires. Only other thing i could think of is the difference of gear due to taller tires and slight ratio differences. Basically C6z has a 7.3lb(s) per hp ratio while my c5 has a 8.1lb(s) per hp although the major weight differences between the cars as i said are at the wheels. C6 having a 24-26lb front wheel and a 26-27lb rear wheel, stock tires weighing in at 29lbs front 36lbs rear. That's a 53-55lb per front and 62-63lb per rear tire/wheel assembly. C5 wheels are roughly 19.2 lbs front and 21lbs rear, while my nitto 555r2's are 24.8lbs front 27.5lbs rear so 44lbs per front and 48.5 per rear assemblies. Basically a difference of 44-51lbs more of total tire and wheel rotating weight between all 4. So i guess what I'm trying to get at is I just thought he would of pulled harder and I'm trying to figure out why he didn't but I'm not complaining . Either way though it was a lot of fun. I don't get to run c6z06's from 45-150 everyday and it was a nice clean race. Looking forward to hopefully running him again after i get my Kooks or ARH on in a couple weeks . Maybe next time ill have video.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

Old 08-16-2012, 02:01 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

This one will get locked soon.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:16 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Old 08-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Z06ness03
Instructor

whatever just thought i'd share. Keep it negative .
Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 PM
skeeters65
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhh the Berlin turnpike. Been there done that have the court documents to prove it.
Be careful!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Holy wall of text.

Somebody really needs to train you in the proper usage of paragraphs.

...oh, and nobody is being negative. This forum doesn't do street racing.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 08-16-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:34 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah, the gearing and rotational weight definitely helped you. Also, you say the other guy had just bought the C6Z, so he might not have been able to harness its full potential yet. He could have been short shifting instead of taking it all the way up to 7k+ rpm. Also might not have been full throttle in 2nd due to traction concerns.

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Holy wall of text.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Holy wall of text.

Well let's be clear... a lot of people here street race, but there are forum rules against posting about it.

To get around it just say your raced in mexico or a long closed road.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:18 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Going through a LEO's blockade counts for nothing? Seem at least semi-legit by local standards. Entertaining, too, but the OP doesn't know what getting wheel hop at 100 feels like; on a closed course.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:25 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Cliffnotes?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:42 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Cliffs are:

He raced a C6Z with 22k and stock. They rolled from second, end of second he was at back bumper, shift to third he jumped back to rear wheel but then fell, 4th and beyond C6Z pulled 1.5 cars.

He is saying he was surprised there wasn't more of a difference.

This in before the lock is so gay...lol. There's a lot worse things in this country than two people racing their cars on open highway for gods sake. It's a matter of judgement...if they wreck and kill each other or themselves...oh well...they bought the cars to drive faster than 45mph and that's the beauty of life...free will.

I feel for those who have lost their lives street racing, but honestly, my business was built on street racing in the late 90's/early 00's. It was one of the greatest times of my life and we rarely witnessed an incident of any significance. Everyone here is adults...I certainly don't see why we can't read about another persons experience...lol.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:51 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Old 08-16-2012, 08:54 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Cliffs are:

He raced a C6Z with 22k and stock. They rolled from second, end of second he was at back bumper, shift to third he jumped back to rear wheel but then fell, 4th and beyond C6Z pulled 1.5 cars.

This in before the lock is so gay...lol. There's a lot worse things in this country than two people racing their cars on open highway for gods sake. It's a matter of judgement...if they wreck and kill each other or themselves...oh well...they bought the cars to drive faster than 45mph and that's the beauty of life...free will.

I feel for those who have lost their lives street racing, but honestly, my business was built on street racing in the late 90's/early 00's. It was one of the greatest times of my life and we rarely witnessed an incident of any significance. Everyone here is adults...I certainly don't see why we can't read about another persons experience...lol.

Well said and I agree.....we do the Mexico thing quit often......the fastest Mexico guys in the country I might add......

But to the OP......I had a thread locked and a warning sent via PM recently while discussing GT500 vs C6ZO6 Mexico scenarios.

Thanks.............
Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by RC000E
Cliffs are:

Are you saying the forum rules are gay? Cuz I think the gif I posted is awesome... It always makes me laugh. Your post on the other hand kinda = fail
Old 08-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Z06ness03
Instructor

Well as far as him taking it easy i have a good ear and his ***** were quick based on his acceleration inbetween shifts. i honestly think hes was runnung it out. He also told me that he had bought the car about 2 months ago so in my oppinion that "just purchased". Anyway im glad some people liked the story. To be completely honest ive read alot of c6z vs c5z threads and alot of people say it would take a cam and heads to keep up. I just wanted to share my real life experience against one and say it wasnt as fast as i thoguht with my current mods.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:31 PM
skeeters65
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located in CT?
I am in Norwich.

Get notified of new replies

To C5z vs C6z 45-150mph

Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 AM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06ness03
Last weekend I had the pleasure of racing a bone stock C6z06 on a long smooth stretch from a 45-150mph roll and thought I'd share the story. Out by where I live is a road called the Berlin Turnpike. Its a large 4-6 lane road roughly 11 miles long and connects a series of major highways. Around the center of this road is a lot of major restaurants and bars and such, as well as your retails stores and gun shops. Its also the place where everyone brings their freshly waxed rides on the weekend. Some friends and i had just finished eating and were making our way to the highway to go home when we noticed about 200 cars, from vipers to porsche's to 370z to Sti's, all parked in a large parking lot and we decided to just drive through and check it out. It was here that I ran into the guy with the C6z06. He told me he had just bought the car, a black bone-stock 2007 z06 with only 22k miles. After a few rev's and a couple close looks at the tires/brakes he was curious about my c5z06. I told him it was lightly modded with just a intake, comp pushrods, and a tune that put down 378 whp and that the car was primarily built for road racing not drag racing. We talked for a bit to what soon provoked a high speed friendly competition of power. About a hour later after things had died down, and after going through a police road block for a quick breathalyzer, we where on route **. A long high way of 2 freshly paved lanes with no exit or on ramps making it a great place to do a little "spirited" driving. Getting on the highway side by side with the c6z, a blend of 5.7 and 7.0 liter gargle I flipped my head lights down to try to make up for as much of the power difference as i could. As predetermined we lined up in second gear at 45mph with a red 370z and a black procharged svt cobra behind us as the audience. With a very clean and steady, BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP we were off. At the very moment of the sound of 2 gm v8's beginning to rumble and wind up, for just a second i had a slight nose on him. A second later he was pulling at a slow walking pace gradually leaving me behind till the nose of my car was just at his rear bumper when we both shifted from 2nd to 3rd. Right as a grabbed 3rd I managed to bring my front bumper back to his rear wheel for a second and it almost seemed like i was about to maybe pull to his door when again he began to bellow on with the sound of his 7.0 and again pulled a gap on me. Slowly his car managed to distance itself from my front bumper by about 1/2 a car or roughly 8 ft from his rear bumper. What caught me as odd though was that it was less severe of a difference in 3rd than it was in 2nd considering the lengths of the gears. Anyway, I shifted into 4th just moments before him.. i am now approaching 110 mph and still within a 10ft distance of his back bumper. We run 4th gear out.. all the way to 150mph the longest of all the gears. It was during this time that the c6 managed to pull yet another 15 feet or so between our front and rear bumpers. As we left off the throttle his car was roughly 25 feet ahead of mine or roughly 1 1/2 car lengths. This was not a outcome i had been expecting, although i knew for sure i was going to lose, i was not expecting to be able to keep up with him so closely. Although 25 feet may seem like a lot of distance and it is.. over the length of time it took him to obtain that distance was not the difference of acceleration between a c5z and a c6z i was expecting. I had pretty kept up with him pretty well for what its worth. I would assume a stock c6z06 would be putting down roughly 435whp maybe 410 tq. At 3185lbs vs 3080lbs (lighter battery and tires) that's only 100 lbs difference, however most of that weight difference seems to be in spinning weight of the wheels/tires. Only other thing i could think of is the difference of gear due to taller tires and slight ratio differences. Basically C6z has a 7.3lb(s) per hp ratio while my c5 has a 8.1lb(s) per hp although the major weight differences between the cars as i said are at the wheels. C6 having a 24-26lb front wheel and a 26-27lb rear wheel, stock tires weighing in at 29lbs front 36lbs rear. That's a 53-55lb per front and 62-63lb per rear tire/wheel assembly. C5 wheels are roughly 19.2 lbs front and 21lbs rear, while my nitto 555r2's are 24.8lbs front 27.5lbs rear so 44lbs per front and 48.5 per rear assemblies. Basically a difference of 44-51lbs more of total tire and wheel rotating weight between all 4. So i guess what I'm trying to get at is I just thought he would of pulled harder and I'm trying to figure out why he didn't but I'm not complaining . Either way though it was a lot of fun. I don't get to run c6z06's from 45-150 everyday and it was a nice clean race. Looking forward to hopefully running him again after i get my Kooks or ARH on in a couple weeks . Maybe next time ill have video.
What are your mods?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 AM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Holy wall of text.

Street Racing is crazy, and from an owner of a C5Z and C6Z. He was not pushing all the way.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Cool event....but

Two cars designed for the sole purpose of going fast
Posted on a forum dedicated to cars designed to go fast
Actually going fast.....

Nah, Internet Brands is not going to like that!

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5z vs C6z 45-150mph