Sponsored by:

[Z06] Electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:45 PM
tiger9297
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical question

I have an '04 Z06. Sometimes when I turn the car off and get back in I notice some of the accessories don't work right. For instance, when I put the key in the ignition the seat will not return to the preset position. Also, sometimes the radio will be on a different station. The systems don't lose their memory- The radio presets are still there, and if I hit the seat memory button, the seat will return to it's correct preset position. It's like it loses it's "short-term" memory, but not the "long-term". The crazy thing is that it doesn't do this all the time. Sometimes I get in the car, the seat returns to position, and radio is still on previous station- everything works perfectly.........Any ideas on what to check???

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

I'd start with getting the battery checked. Strange things can happen when the battery starts to go.

Do the settings change before or after turning the key to start the car? Many times the settings are fine if you just turn the key to accessory but as soon as you start the car on a weak battery, the draw causes the settings to change.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

A good first step is always to clean the battery terminals and chassis grounds with a wire brush.

What voltage do you settle at after a cold start with all accessories off?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:11 PM
tiger9297
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
I'd start with getting the battery checked. Strange things can happen when the battery starts to go.

Do the settings change before or after turning the key to start the car? Many times the settings are fine if you just turn the key to accessory but as soon as you start the car on a weak battery, the draw causes the settings to change.
I notice when it does it as soon as I put the key in the ignition, b/c the seat doesn't move forward. It stays in the "exit" position. After the engine is running I notice the radio station has changed.

The battery may be getting weak, but it turns the engine over fine at this point. I will check and clean all terminals and ground and see if that helps.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

The seat/audio happens to us on occation be cause I have taken my wife's key #2 instead of my key #1, the memory is coded to the key so if there are two different drivers their settings come up when the button to unlock is used.

Mark
Old 12-20-2012, 04:28 PM
redroket
Racer

Default electrical

My 02Z was doing a lot of weird electrical things like windows and doors not locking and the radio not working ect. I found the electrical going thru the door was getting moved back and forth and screwing things up. There is a plug right inside the car that sometimes comes a little apart causing bad things to happen. I was able to zip tie each side of the plug together tighter and have had 0 problems since. FYI it is a beeatch to get at but you can see it when you open the door at the car side you can pull out the plug and pull the wire and plug mostly out and then zip it.
Dale

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical question

Quick Reply: [Z06] Electrical question