Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Baer Eradispeed Rotors on Sale...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:43 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

how much for the 14"?...same size fronT and reaR?....THESE WORK WITH STOCK CALIPERS?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Originally Posted by blown81bu
how much for the 14"?...same size fronT and reaR?....THESE WORK WITH STOCK CALIPERS?
PM sent....
Old 12-31-2013, 12:22 AM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,135 Likes on 592 Posts

I think drilled rotors are a solution looking for a problem.

Years ago, in road racing, the brake pad technology of the time created a problem called "out-gassing" where, at very high temperatures, the pads would release gasses or vapors and racers reported poor brake performance. The theory was that this gas formed a boundry layer between the rotor's friction surface and the pad's friction face which interferred with the friction process necessary for braking.

The solution was to drill holes in the rotors which would let the gas escape though the rotor faces and into the vent channels.

Of course, once drilled rotors started showing up on race cars, folks with street cars (few of which would ever generate enough brake temperature for out-gassing) started drilling rotors. The aftermarket was soon to follow with drilled rotors. Early products of that type were very inconsistent in quality, in part, because the drilling sometimes weakened the rotors such that they failed.

Today, brake pad technology has progressed such that drilled rotors are no longer the norm. Take a look at the latest in Sprint Cup brakes for short tracks (think Martinsville) or road courses. The newest rotors from Raybestos are not drilled.

For street use and street track, drilled rotors are a solution looking for a problem, but hey...they look cool. I remember when the C6 Corvette came out, an option was drilled rotors. When pressed both the Chief Engineer at the time and Corvette Development's brake engineer told me the holes were strictly cosmetic and were there because of input from customers and exterior designers.

So grooved (ie: slotted) rotors seem to still have some use, but drilled rotors may slowly going out of favor with racers.

As for Baer rotors in particular...I'm not a big fan.

I have a Camaro that's been through two sets of Baer's best–the two piece Eradispeed+ in front and the one-piece Eradispeed in the rear. The first set used GM pads and the second set used Baer's pads. Both sets of rotors were "seasoned" per Baer's instructions. Both sets of rotors developed brake shudder, once it began, it got progressively worse. There was never any pedal pulsation. At high speed there was some vibration through the steering wheel. Just before the car came to a stop, the vibration turned into slow cycle, fore-aft "jerking motion" typical of a brake which is generating inconsistent levels of friction. Also, the rear brakes' inconsistent friction caused the shifter to move up and down just before the car came to a stop.

I tried abrading the rotors with a 3M medium abrasive disc. I tried "re-beding" the pads per Baer's instructions. I haven't machined the rotors, but...I shouldn't have to do that to get the rotors to work right. I measured run-out and thickness variation on both fronts. The lateral run-out/thickness variation was .002/.001 on one and .004/.002 on the other.

After two sets of these rotors having this problem on a car that is driven hard on the street but not tracked, I'm hesitant to sink any more effort into trying to run Baer's stuff because I think the problem is the metallurgy of their rotors.

I have had some communication with Baer about this, but they are not very responsive. I first brought the problem to their attention in May of 2013. Got a response from Gabi Baer saying she was busy and would get back to me. She did not follow-uip. Emailed again in August. Got no response. Voice mailed in November and that did evoke a response from one of their engineers to whom she'd forwarded my voice mail. He asked me to season the rotors again. I did that and reported back to him a month ago and have, since, heard zero.

I think I'm done with Baer.

While C5 Corvette and 98-02 Camaro rotors and pads are not the same, they are similar so I'd caution anyone thinking about the Baer Eradispeed+ product for a C5 to carefully research your purchase because the product may not perform to your expectations. My experience with the stock brakes on my '04 Z06 are that the GM rotors have better metallurgy than Baer's Eradispeed+ rotors for the 98-02 Camaro.

What alternatives am I looking at for the Camaro's rotors?
StopTech is one.
Willwood is another.
Haven't decided, yet, what I'm going to do.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 AM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Do you know how much actual weight you save per corner vs a stock rotor?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by PeteZ06
I'll try to find out for you.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:26 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

any info????
Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

any info????
Sorry, I don't have exact numbers.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:50 AM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
I'll try to find out for you.
Well... I guess you didnt try very hard.

Hopefully not a reflection of your customer service.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:25 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Well... I guess you didnt try very hard.

Hopefully not a reflection of your customer service.
I tried hard and could not find out...
Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
Don't try selling that story over on cornercarvers.com. There have been so many disk failures from cracks between drilled holes its not even up for discussion. As for slots...I tried them once. Ate thru a set of Hawk HP+ pads in one day. Slots are not necessary to remove gasses if you have the right pads for road racing.
this

you can go to any serious scca event and 99% of people are on blanks

also agree slots seem to chew on the pad more. useful if you have pads that clump or gas
Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by racebum
this

you can go to any serious scca event and 99% of people are on blanks

also agree slots seem to chew on the pad more. useful if you have pads that clump or gas
Old 09-09-2014, 02:17 AM
GettnBetter
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I put these with braided lines on my 2000/Z51 about 8 years ago and they have been awesome. I'm using the dusty 2004+ Z06 Delco pads. These look great and have never warped and show no signs of cracking. From cold and wet to dry to hot enough to smell. Every time I step on the brakes it's perfect and consistent. So consistent that I have have to consciously find a way to engage the ABS every few months to keep the pump healthy.

There is another thread with some weight info on the Bears here.

I have at least 50k miles on them now with no complaints.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:13 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

"Bout the same here; 8 years give or take. Love the look, even if it's kinda ricey. I got the two piece, just like the pictured, and I did have to slightly clearance my rear calipers with aftermarket 19" wheels.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:08 PM
mainecobra
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Love these comments. I know your trying to run a succesful business with employess and all the time and energy that comes with running a business but when i ask you something on the forum i want you to drop everything and figure my god damn question out asap you son of a bitch!!! I dont care if you have 10,000 other customers , dealing with vendors , employees, bills, shop issues, ect. IM THE MOST IMPORTANT Person and i asked you a question on a forum!!!!!! And if you dont find the answer you didnt try hard enough!! I just have to laugh at some of the people you must deal with. I dont envy you dealing with all the brilliant people out there that really understand what running a business entails!!!

Last edited by mainecobra; 12-24-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:12 PM
mainecobra
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
I think drilled rotors are a solution looking for a problem.

Years ago, in road racing, the brake pad technology of the time created a problem called "out-gassing" where, at very high temperatures, the pads would release gasses or vapors and racers reported poor brake performance. The theory was that this gas formed a boundry layer between the rotor's friction surface and the pad's friction face which interferred with the friction process necessary for braking.

The solution was to drill holes in the rotors which would let the gas escape though the rotor faces and into the vent channels.

Of course, once drilled rotors started showing up on race cars, folks with street cars (few of which would ever generate enough brake temperature for out-gassing) started drilling rotors. The aftermarket was soon to follow with drilled rotors. Early products of that type were very inconsistent in quality, in part, because the drilling sometimes weakened the rotors such that they failed.

Today, brake pad technology has progressed such that drilled rotors are no longer the norm. Take a look at the latest in Sprint Cup brakes for short tracks (think Martinsville) or road courses. The newest rotors from Raybestos are not drilled.

For street use and street track, drilled rotors are a solution looking for a problem, but hey...they look cool. I remember when the C6 Corvette came out, an option was drilled rotors. When pressed both the Chief Engineer at the time and Corvette Development's brake engineer told me the holes were strictly cosmetic and were there because of input from customers and exterior designers.

So grooved (ie: slotted) rotors seem to still have some use, but drilled rotors may slowly going out of favor with racers.

As for Baer rotors in particular...I'm not a big fan.

I have a Camaro that's been through two sets of Baer's best–the two piece Eradispeed+ in front and the one-piece Eradispeed in the rear. The first set used GM pads and the second set used Baer's pads. Both sets of rotors were "seasoned" per Baer's instructions. Both sets of rotors developed brake shudder, once it began, it got progressively worse. There was never any pedal pulsation. At high speed there was some vibration through the steering wheel. Just before the car came to a stop, the vibration turned into slow cycle, fore-aft "jerking motion" typical of a brake which is generating inconsistent levels of friction. Also, the rear brakes' inconsistent friction caused the shifter to move up and down just before the car came to a stop.

I tried abrading the rotors with a 3M medium abrasive disc. I tried "re-beding" the pads per Baer's instructions. I haven't machined the rotors, but...I shouldn't have to do that to get the rotors to work right. I measured run-out and thickness variation on both fronts. The lateral run-out/thickness variation was .002/.001 on one and .004/.002 on the other.

After two sets of these rotors having this problem on a car that is driven hard on the street but not tracked, I'm hesitant to sink any more effort into trying to run Baer's stuff because I think the problem is the metallurgy of their rotors.

I have had some communication with Baer about this, but they are not very responsive. I first brought the problem to their attention in May of 2013. Got a response from Gabi Baer saying she was busy and would get back to me. She did not follow-uip. Emailed again in August. Got no response. Voice mailed in November and that did evoke a response from one of their engineers to whom she'd forwarded my voice mail. He asked me to season the rotors again. I did that and reported back to him a month ago and have, since, heard zero.

I think I'm done with Baer.

While C5 Corvette and 98-02 Camaro rotors and pads are not the same, they are similar so I'd caution anyone thinking about the Baer Eradispeed+ product for a C5 to carefully research your purchase because the product may not perform to your expectations. My experience with the stock brakes on my '04 Z06 are that the GM rotors have better metallurgy than Baer's Eradispeed+ rotors for the 98-02 Camaro.

What alternatives am I looking at for the Camaro's rotors?
StopTech is one.
Willwood is another.
Haven't decided, yet, what I'm going to do.
Wonderful write up makes alot of sense. Now the question rather than pad material is does a quality drilled and slotted rotor disapate heat therfore reducing rotor warping and pad wear? Or does it serve zero purpose in that aspect and your best off using a quality full rotor and quality pad?
Old 01-07-2016, 08:26 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

If you're looking to upgrade the braking system of your Corvette, high-performance rotors are an absolute must--and the Corvette Two Piece Performance Baer EradiSpeed Rotors are the perfect option for you.

Featuring durable and powerful component materials, Baer makes a number of EradiSpeed Rotors that work perfectly with all models of the C5 Corvette. All EradiSpeed rotors listed on our website will fit perfectly behind the stock wheels, including the 14" rotor diameter upgrade kits. These kits utilize a new Caliper Bracket to reseat the stock caliper such that it will fit a full 14" rotor. The extra diameter provides enhanced leverage for the caliper and improved braking performance as a result.

All Baer EradiSpeed Corvette Rotors are two-piece rotors. The two-piece design is the ideal design for a performance brake rotor as it helps to reduce rotor weight and increase rotor strength. Baer's EradiSpeed rotors are a fantastic performance option for your C5 Corvette to help bring the car to a stop much more quickly and improve your confidence behind the wheel. Will fit both the stock wheels on both the C5 Base and C5 Z06 Models.

[URL="http://www.southerncarparts.com/corvette-baer-eradispeed-rotors-p-4234.html"]

Right now, we have them on sale, too! Be sure to use the coupon code "baer" when checking out for extra savings on Baer Corvette rotors and their shipping. It's a special discount just for Corvette Forum members! Swing by the website for more information, pricing, and ordering C5 Corvette Baer EradiSpeed Brake Rotors.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-16-2016, 11:15 AM
Robby04
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Is there any kind of fitment guide. A diagram of any sort? I'd like to get these. But want to know if they will fit my 19" wheels.*
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Baer Eradispeed Rotors on Sale...

Old 07-11-2016, 09:16 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Old 09-26-2017, 09:48 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

If you're looking to upgrade the braking system of your Corvette, high-performance rotors are an absolute must--and the Corvette Two Piece Performance Baer EradiSpeed Rotors are the perfect option for you.

Featuring durable and powerful component materials, Baer makes a number of EradiSpeed Rotors that work perfectly with all models of the C5 Corvette. All EradiSpeed rotors listed on our website will fit perfectly behind the stock wheels, including the 14" rotor diameter upgrade kits. These kits utilize a new Caliper Bracket to reseat the stock caliper such that it will fit a full 14" rotor. The extra diameter provides enhanced leverage for the caliper and improved braking performance as a result.

All Baer EradiSpeed Corvette Rotors are two-piece rotors. The two-piece design is the ideal design for a performance brake rotor as it helps to reduce rotor weight and increase rotor strength. Baer's EradiSpeed rotors are a fantastic performance option for your C5 Corvette to help bring the car to a stop much more quickly and improve your confidence behind the wheel. Will fit both the stock wheels on both the C5 Base and C5 Z06 Models.

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...rs-p-4234.html

Right now, we have them on sale, too! Be sure to use the coupon code "baer" when checking out for extra savings on Baer Corvette rotors and their shipping. It's a special discount just for Corvette Forum members! Swing by the website for more information, pricing, and ordering C5 Corvette Baer EradiSpeed Brake Rotors.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-26-2017, 07:23 PM
mikey4play
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What is the pricing on these w/slots or blank? Do you also sell pads ?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Baer Eradispeed Rotors on Sale...