Sponsored by:

[Z06] New Seats Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM
ktlocklear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Seats Installed!

After a couple of months trying to figure out which seats I wanted, I finally decided on the Cobra Suzuka GT Pro-Fit seats. The "GT" is their wide version, which is only 30mm wider than the regular Suzuka. I tried a regular Suzuka first, and it was too tight so I had to send it back. Honestly unless you're a horse jockey, I don't see how anyone can fit in the non GT seat..lol. I'm 6'0" and 170 lbs, with a 34" waste and the GT is still fairly snug. Anyway, I went with the MTI seat rails, which I got from Kevin @ MTI. Install was a breeze with these seat rails.
Plenty of mounting options to get the tilt, etc dialed in where you want them.

The seats are fairly tight in the car....mostly on the trans tunnel side, but there is room for the seat belts, and the seat back wings do clear the door panels, so I'm happy. These seats are super comfy. The stock seats are just crappy in my opinion.
Both seats are Jan. 2013 production and are FIA approved. Here are some photos. Harness bar and harnesses are next!

Spot on rail to mount sensor....

Thanks for looking

Last edited by ktlocklear; 01-31-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:30 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Very nice.

A couple questions:
- How well does the stock 3-pt belt fit with this seat? Do the seat's leg/hip bolsters push the lap belt up a bit high?
- Have you driven much in them yet? How do you think a 3+ hour cruise would be, comfort-wise?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 PM
ktlocklear
Racer

Thanks! The lap belt does sit a little higher due to deepness of the seats, but not by much. The belt does still rest on my lap in about the same spot as it did with the factory seats. If you notice in the pics the driver side belt is mounted lower than on the passenger side. On the passenger side, I couldn't mount in the same spot on the seat rail as on the driver side due to the parking brake. I had to mount it slightly higher so the seat belt head would clear the parking brake, and carpet. Still though, the lap belt does rest on my lap, and is not hovering above.

As far as comfort.....they are great! Although I have only been in it for 30-40 mins at a time, so not sure how they would do on a 3+ hour trip. I can say they are far more comfortable than the stock seats after a 30 min drive. I did my first 2.5 hour trip a couple of weeks ago with the stock seats, and my back was so stiff from the lack of lumber support. I'm betting the Cobra's would be better on trips than the OE seats
Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 AM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those seats look great! May I ask what they cost you?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 PM
ktlocklear
Racer

Originally Posted by DARRYLZO6
Those seats look great! May I ask what they cost you?
Thanks! They were $849 each + shipping http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...-racing-shells
Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Johnson 92
Safety Car

Received 334 Likes on 90 Posts
C5 of the Month 6/13

Looks good!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:26 AM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice...
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 AM
007Duc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that $$$ with the frame? What setup is that?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Looks great man!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice setup!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks good.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM
von zoom
Instructor

Thanks for posting this. I am looking for seats now for my 2010 Z06.
Question: Can you get in and out easy with the steering wheel in place?
I am 6', 214 lbs, and need space to sit in, not on. Can you advise the width of the seat. That would be very helpful. These look like good seats.
Thanks
vz

ps: How do you think the crotch belt will fit without a slit in the seat for it?
Thanks again.

Last edited by von zoom; 02-04-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: crotch belt
Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I have the same seat in my car that I use for track days. I'm 5'9" and about 200# (36" waist) and I fit very well. Ingress and egress isn't bad though I do need to tilt the wheel up to do it. I'm not sure about the OP's seat but mine has a space between the halves of the lower cushion for the sub strap.

I don't mind the seat on short trips (under an hour) but on 2+ hour stints on the road I get bad leg cramps from not being able to move around at all.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:35 PM
ktlocklear
Racer

Originally Posted by von zoom
Thanks for posting this. I am looking for seats now for my 2010 Z06.
Question: Can you get in and out easy with the steering wheel in place?
I am 6', 214 lbs, and need space to sit in, not on. Can you advise the width of the seat. That would be very helpful. These look like good seats.
Thanks
vz

ps: How do you think the crotch belt will fit without a slit in the seat for it?
Thanks again.
Thanks everyone!

It is def more challenging getting in/ out than with the original seats....but still not bad at all. I do put the wheel all the way up....but I did that with the factory seats as well, so nothing new there. I def sit in these seats and not on them. The top of the bolsters are almost the same height as the top of my thighs when sitting in the seat, so I am def way down in them. I daily drive the car about 50 miles round trip and I am not tired of them yet!

One thing I would recommend getting is a thinner thigh cushion. The standard one that comes with the seat is 4" tall and puts a ton of pressure on the back of my legs and also positions my legs too high which limits how low I can put the steering wheel. They make replacement thigh cushions and the "low" thigh cushion option is 3" tall so that should help. They also make thinner/ thicker butt cushions. The standard butt cushion is 2" thick. The "low" butt cushion is 1.5" thick. I think I may order thinner butt and thinner thigh cushions. I pull the thigh cushion out completely and slide the butt cushion forward and use it as the thigh cushion. It's pretty much perfect like this and surprisingly more comfortable. It does however put me slightly too low in the seat. With that configuration my chin is slightly lower than the top of the door panel. With the thinner cushions it should be perfect, I hope.
I just measured the width of the seat bottom from inside edge-to-inside edge between the bolsters. Towards the back of the seat it is roughly 15". Up towards the front of the seat it is roughly 17".
There is a pass through hole for the sub belts as Scooter mentioned.....here is a photo with the thigh cushion removed...

Brey Kraus harness bar is ordered. Belts are next!

Last edited by ktlocklear; 02-04-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 PM
von zoom
Instructor

Thank you very much, very helpful and will consider them. Good info about the cushion sizing. BTW, surprised that they do not include shipping in their pricing. Most vendors include shipping with their orders, particularly when ordering two seats and all the mechanical support materials.
vz
Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 PM
ktlocklear
Racer

No problem...
Yeah, the shipping did sting a little. I didn't find any Cobra dealers that offered free shipping. Some of the sites i found claiming free shipping, ended up not being free after reading the fine print. Stipulations in each of them. With that being said, i just decided to go with HMS. They are the biggest East Coast Cobra Distributor. No 'middle man' dealer to have to deal with. The mounting hardware i got directly from MTI Racing
Old 02-05-2013, 01:15 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for doing this, was looking at these seats as well.

Get notified of new replies

To New Seats Installed!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:32 AM
ktlocklear
Racer

Originally Posted by dagon138
Thanks for doing this, was looking at these seats as well.
No problem.....glad to. If you decide to order through HMS, ask for Mike Long. He answered all of my questions and is very knowledgable
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,364 Likes on 1,034 Posts

just curious if you considered Cobra's Imola Pro or Racer Pro at all? Im just curious as they both look to be of similar size, but a slightly lower side which might make getting in and out of the car slightly easier.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 AM
ktlocklear
Racer

Actually yes! I tried an Imola Pro Fit standard size before I got the Suzuka's thinking the same thing about making it easier to get in/out of the car. The standard size Imola was very tight on the hips, and the seat back seemed too low as my shoulders were slightly higher than the wings. I def sat on top of that seat and not in it as the bolsters are pretty much non existent. Again I am 6 foot, 170 lbs with a 34" waist. The wider Imola profit GT seat might have made the difference......but the shallow side bolsters turned me away from the Imola.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Seats Installed!