Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Z06 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS6 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
DARRYLZO6
CF Senior Member
 
DARRYLZO6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2009
Location: Always in my lane.
Default 2015 C7 Corvette hardtop- low cost option?

To all us hardtop lovers out there. Just got the latest Motor Trend in the mail and on page 15 in the MT Confidential section according to insiders in the know the new "base" Corvette in 2015 will be sold in hardtop only and badged as a "Corvette Coupe", will be powered by an all aluminum,direct injection 5.3 liter V8, a modified version that will appear first in new GM trucks. It will have "fewer" than 400 hp and different front fascia, front fender and rear diffuser to differentiate it from the Corvette Stingray.Its also said that this Corvette Coupe was the model for the new Corvette Stingray. Personally this sounds like the car to wait for. Could it be possble to get one of these babies for under $50K out the door? Even though this sounds like the "stripper" version, NOT!, it should have the basic creature comforts that we would need. Add some mild mods, (intake,tuning,headers,exhaust), maybe better rims, and 30% window tint, tasteful, non-ricer spoiler, lose the Corvette Coupe badging, yeah, I think this might work.My version of a ZO6. I just hope this isnt B.S.
DARRYLZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
PeteZ06
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11
 
PeteZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2004
Location: Bartlett IL
Default

Hardtop in this case doesnt mean a FRC design but just no removable roof option.

In this case less isnt more.. less is less.

Less power and heavier than the C5Z... doesnt sound like fun at all.
__________________
'01 Z06 Speedway White/Black
LS7 427
www.speedinc.com
PeteZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
AU N EGL
CF Senior Member
 
AU N EGL's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Raleigh / Rolesville NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARRYLZO6 View Post
To all us hardtop lovers out there. Just got the latest Motor Trend in the mail and on page 15 in the MT Confidential section according to insiders in the know the new "base" Corvette in 2015 will be sold in hardtop only and badged as a "Corvette Coupe", will be powered by an all aluminum,direct injection 5.3 liter V8, a modified version that will appear first in new GM trucks. It will have "fewer" than 400 hp and different front fascia, front fender and rear diffuser to differentiate it from the Corvette Stingray.Its also said that this Corvette Coupe was the model for the new Corvette Stingray. Personally this sounds like the car to wait for. Could it be possble to get one of these babies for under $50K out the door? Even though this sounds like the "stripper" version, NOT!, it should have the basic creature comforts that we would need. Add some mild mods, (intake,tuning,headers,exhaust), maybe better rims, and 30% window tint, tasteful, non-ricer spoiler, lose the Corvette Coupe badging, yeah, I think this might work.My version of a ZO6. I just hope this isnt B.S.
maybe the "Body in White". a vary basic road race version many ppl have been asking for. Just enough to pass DOT safety standards. yet not too much to strip out weld in a roll cage and build into a road racing car.
AU N EGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Toque
Tech Contributor
 
Toque's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Wylie TX --> Less is More, except under the hood !
mark.nicholson.5458 ToqueZ06
Default

Interesting...

Toque
Toque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
DARRYLZO6
CF Senior Member
 
DARRYLZO6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2009
Location: Always in my lane.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZ06 View Post
Hardtop in this case doesnt mean a FRC design but just no removable roof option.

In this case less isnt more.. less is less.

Less power and heavier than the C5Z... doesnt sound like fun at all.
Well, in this case, I know its early in the C7 progression, but, I dont think this version would be heavier than the upcoming car. i would think it would be lighter, (smaller motor,smaller wheeel/tire pkg. for instance) and if it has 400 hp standard, its hard for me to believe that GM would produce any modern corvette that wouldnt do 0-60 in 4sec, if its slower than that, why bother. What I was pointing out was this version has a lot of potential(cam,heads,supercharger,turboch arging,nitrous). There are some current C5Z owners whose cars are as stock as when they came from the factory, so this setup would be enough for some individuals. For my personal tastes, it would be hard for me to believe that even with a 5.3 ltr. engine /6spd combo, that these babies couldnt at least be as fast as a stock C5Zand with some mild mods, these cars could also be potential bang for the buck rides. Another point is that I would this that GM is looking at a younger demographic, making it easier to get into a Corvette if its under $50K. i will admit that this setup may not be to everyones tastes but neither was the original FRCs. More now than when they came out the FRC/ZO6 are the cars to have.

Last edited by DARRYLZO6; 02-25-2013 at 05:13 PM.
DARRYLZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
PeteZ06
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11
 
PeteZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2004
Location: Bartlett IL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARRYLZO6 View Post
Well, in this case, I know its early in the C7 progression, but, I dont think this version would be heavier than the upcoming car. i would think it would be lighter, (smaller motor,smaller wheeel/tire pkg. for instance) and if it has 400 hp standard, its hard for me to believe that GM would produce any modern corvette that wouldnt do 0-60 in 4sec, if its slower than that, why bother. What I was pointing out was this version has a lot of potential(cam,heads,supercharger,turboch arging,nitrous). There are some current C5Z owners whose cars are as stock as when they came from the factory, so this setup would be enough for some individuals. For my personal tastes, it would be hard for me to believe that even with a 5.3 ltr. engine /6spd combo, that these babies couldnt at least be as fast as a stock C5Zand with some mild mods, these cars could also be potential bang for the buck rides. Another point is that I would this that GM is looking at a younger demographic, making it easier to get into a Corvette if its under $50K. i will admit that this setup may not be to everyones tastes but neither was the original FRCs. More now than when they came out the FRC/ZO6 are the cars to have.
C7 will end up being in the 3300 lb range...

C5Z was under 3100 lbs.. No way a C7 will shed over 200lbs for this base model...

So I'm sticking with my first post... that combo would be slower than the C5Z.
__________________
'01 Z06 Speedway White/Black
LS7 427
www.speedinc.com
PeteZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
LT1driver
CF Senior Member
 
LT1driver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Default

you really think the "insiders" really know ... I doubt it, but to each their own in what they believe.
LT1driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page 2015 C7 Corvette hardtop- low cost option?
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Stingray Orders to Begin in July, Deliveries in September NemesisC5 C7 General Discussion 21 05-31-2014 08:11 AM
How many different C7 Corvette models will there be? rexracerx9 C7 General Discussion 16 08-20-2013 10:09 PM
April Motor Trend Has Future C7 Plans... 1analguy C7 General Discussion 45 04-02-2013 02:33 PM
GM working on 2015 Low Cost Corvettte < 400 HP according to MotorTrend c54u C7 General Discussion 361 03-12-2013 10:00 PM
99 Corvette Hardtop 39K miles pewter (maybe) JTS97Z28 C5 Corvettes for Sale 17 10-01-2006 12:20 AM



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Emails & Password Backup