Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] 01 Z06: Which shocks should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 03:53 AM
dashcaL
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 01 Z06: Which shocks should I get?

01 Z06: Which shocks should I get?
My z06 is currently on its stock shocks lowered on aftermarket rear bolts and max stock in front with front bump stops cut 2 notches. The previous owner did it and liked it low. I also love the lowered appearance but I think it handles horrible. I nearly hit my head a few times going over bumps on the freeway due to it bottoming out on the bump stops. The rear also hops and scatters left and right when I WOT it.

Im looking to raise the car back up and get new shocks. Ive done research but all post were from pre2008. How much do a full set of c6 z06, 04 z06, bilstein sports go for now?

Im sure more people have used the aforementioned shocks, so how do they perform? Any input would be great!

Lastly, I need stock bump stops. Anyone know the part number or where to get it.

I apologize, if I couldve researched more.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

You are absolutely doing the right thing. All of the idiots who are thinking of lowering their cars like yours was should take notice and not have to learn the hard way.

The 04 Z shocks are expensive, the Bilsteins cost around $320 a set of you search carefully on the net. The 06 Z shocks are a bit less expensive, but likely won't last as long as the Bilsteins and are just a bit more firm. Since you already have the Z springs and bars I'd go with th Bilsteins just because they are probably the best bang for the buck in terms of life/$.

Raise it up to between 3/4 of an inch from stock to 1 inch from stock and you'll be very happy with either the C6Z or the Bilsteins.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:37 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

C6Z shocks were around $200 for all 4 when I put mine on about 6 years ago.

gmpartsdirect
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

About 5 months ago I purchased Bilstein Sport schocks for $203, shipped.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 PM
dashcaL
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Cruncher
About 5 months ago I purchased Bilstein Sport schocks for $203, shipped.
Where did you purchase them?

C6 shocks are $270 now.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I went the GM 2012 C6 Z06 shocks and could not be happier with how it rides and sets. I also lowered mine a bit enough to where I don't hit anything but still have that lowered look...
Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a set of very lightly used Bilstein sports for ~$200.

I see C6Z take offs for around that price too.

I don't think there are any real world comparisons between the two since people usually change shocks when their old ones are dead, so it always seems like a night and day difference.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:42 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Thats why I only lowered mine with the stock bolts - about an inch at most. Have the stock '04 shocks, when I replace them not sure which way I'll go, depends on money at that time, ideal would be LG or pFat Coil-Overs.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:34 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i just picked up a set of 2004 sachs shocks from my local dealer today for $454

part numbers are 10339944 and 10339945, full list is something else

list on the rear is 233.76ea and list on the fronts are 195.40ea

they charged me after haggling 125 for the rear and 102 for the fronts

GM did a LOT of work on the 04 valving to control bump steer and make the car more compliant in real world conditions and at the same time have stability in hard corners.

this is one of the few available shocks that's specifically valves to the z06 springs and sway bars

personally i would never consider the bilsteins. i have no idea what rates they are valved for or what the rebound is like, does anyone? c6z shocks are probably close but it's a different car with more wheel weight and a slightly different layout. also no idea who's making c6z shocks or what the long term quality is like.

Last edited by racebum; 05-01-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dashcaL
Where did you purchase them?
I found the price at eshocks (they carry only Bilstein) & West Coast Corvette will meet the price, including the $0 shipping.

Last edited by Cruncher; 05-01-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
i just picked up a set of 2004 sachs shocks from my local dealer today for $454

part numbers are 10339944 and 10339945, full list is something else

list on the rear is 233.76ea and list on the fronts are 195.40ea

they charged me after haggling 125 for the rear and 102 for the fronts

GM did a LOT of work on the 04 valving to control bump steer and make the car more compliant in real world conditions and at the same time have stability in hard corners.

this is one of the few available shocks that's specifically valves to the z06 springs and sway bars

personally i would never consider the bilsteins. i have no idea what rates they are valved for or what the rebound is like, does anyone? c6z shocks are probably close but it's a different car with more wheel weight and a slightly different layout. also no idea who's making c6z shocks or what the long term quality is like.
Ask and you shall receive...

Here is a link to the shock dyno plots for the Bilstein sports versus the 2004 Z06 shocks.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html

As you can see, in the front there is no difference in the valving. The force curves are so close that there is likely no human being that could feel the difference.

In the back the rears are a bit softer in jounce and a bit tighter in rebound at high speed, but there isn't a big difference in lower speed rebound, and the rear rebound of the stock shock is digressive, probably just to cut the harshness over bumps a bit rather than to control wheel movement. Bilstein did their development on the Z for the sports also and it shows. They are an excellent choice for this car and have shown to be every bit as fast or faster on the track than the stock shocks.

Couple that with the fact that the Bilsteins are a lot less expensive than the 04Z shocks (you got a deal, but even then you paid more than $120 more for the 04Z shocks than the Bilsteins, and lots of dealers won't deal like that) and will last for a lot longer than the stock shocks and you have plenty of good reason to go with the Bilsteins.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:30 PM
forsvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had Bilsteins on other vehicles and the best thing was the warranty. I had a shock go bad 5 years later and they replaced it for free!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 PM
dashcaL
Heel & Toe

Thank you all for the help. I will be getting the bilsteins.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:35 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Solofast
Ask and you shall receive...

Here is a link to the shock dyno plots for the Bilstein sports versus the 2004 Z06 shocks.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html

As you can see, in the front there is no difference in the valving. The force curves are so close that there is likely no human being that could feel the difference.

In the back the rears are a bit softer in jounce and a bit tighter in rebound at high speed, but there isn't a big difference in lower speed rebound, and the rear rebound of the stock shock is digressive, probably just to cut the harshness over bumps a bit rather than to control wheel movement. Bilstein did their development on the Z for the sports also and it shows. They are an excellent choice for this car and have shown to be every bit as fast or faster on the track than the stock shocks.

Couple that with the fact that the Bilsteins are a lot less expensive than the 04Z shocks (you got a deal, but even then you paid more than $120 more for the 04Z shocks than the Bilsteins, and lots of dealers won't deal like that) and will last for a lot longer than the stock shocks and you have plenty of good reason to go with the Bilsteins.
never have seen this before, good information that should be in a sticky of some sort.

GM's idea with that rear rebound curve was to increase compliance. the 01 shocks actually had a stronger rebound curve, probably similar to the bilsteins and it was reduced to help prevent the rear stepping out on uneven terrain

i do agree that the bilsteins look like a good value after seeing actual dynos of what you're getting

especially if you can't get the sachs shocks around 450 out the door

bilstein and koni had always been my go-to shocks, i just had never seen shock dynos on either for the c5

Last edited by racebum; 05-01-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dashcaL
Thank you all for the help. I will be getting the bilsteins.
I checked out the web site that I gave to you...it looks like their prices went up over $100/set of 4. In any event they were the lowest price that I could find during the time. Considering that Bilsteins are Bilsteins, it didn't matter to me whcih vendor I purchased them from, as long as they were reputable. I remember that the shocks were well packed, in addition to the Bilstein box.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad to know I'm not the only one bugged by the car being slammed to a half inch off the ground. I'm sorry the roads just aren't that good, I'll also probably replace the shocks on my '01 soon and will keep the Bilstein sports in mind!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:36 PM
racebum
Race Director

i can give a little real world feedback on the 04 shocks vs the 02 shocks having just done a back to back. the 02 shocks used a more conventional rear rebound curve similar to the bilsteins.

what i noticed with the 04's seemed odd at first but goes along with the theory of a more moderate slow speed valving and firm high speed. first off straight line traction has been increased. things that use to light up the tires now are harder to get wheelspin. the car is also much more planted on uneven surfaces. there's a section of old highway that's pretty wavy & curvy around my area and i was able to carry more speed though it. the other thing that has been reduced is mid corner sway. in high speed sweepers you had to be very smooth with the 02 shocks to keep the rear from floating mid corner. now while steering wheel inputs can upset any car with any shocks the 04's don't move around on a guy as much.

around town ride quality is also increased a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To 01 Z06: Which shocks should I get?

Old 05-07-2013, 03:49 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

i can give a little real world feedback on the 04 shocks vs the 02 shocks having just done a back to back. the 02 shocks used a more conventional rear rebound curve similar to the bilsteins.

what i noticed with the 04's seemed odd at first but goes along with the theory of a more moderate slow speed valving and firm high speed. first off straight line traction has been increased. things that use to light up the tires now are harder to get wheelspin. the car is also much more planted on uneven surfaces. there's a section of old highway that's pretty wavy & curvy around my area and i was able to carry more speed though it. the other thing that has been reduced is mid corner sway. in high speed sweepers you had to be very smooth with the 02 shocks to keep the rear from floating mid corner. now while steering wheel inputs can upset any car with any shocks the 04's don't move around on a guy as much.

, I actually replaced my o2 shocks with the 04's and wrote the almost the identical review on here about 5 yrs ago. Good to see somone else like the 04's. PS, I don't like the look of lowered cars either.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:45 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a pretty good review, and accurate except I'm not sure what you meant about moderate slow speed and firm high speed. Based on DG's dyno plots, the fronts are basically identical, so the difference is in the rear valving.

The 04 rears have more compression force through out the entire shaft velocity range, which theoretically should add more grip over the Bilstein rears. The 04 rears have slightly stronger slow speed rebound but then become digressive and have much less high speed rebound force, which theoretically should give more grip (since rebound takes away grip) and also keeps the rear more planted and not as eager to step out.

I love Bilsteins, they usually have good valving, and probably the best quality of anything out there. Quality in the sense that they last longer (between rebuilds) than any other damper manufacturer on the planet. But I would bet that the 04 shocks provide more grip and have the potential to turn a faster lap than the Bilstein sports. You got to really respect the R&D that went into the 04 shocks, and the Z06 in general.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:11 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by joenationwide
Thats a pretty good review, and accurate except I'm not sure what you meant about moderate slow speed and firm high speed. Based on DG's dyno plots, the fronts are basically identical, so the difference is in the rear valving.

The 04 rears have more compression force through out the entire shaft velocity range, which theoretically should add more grip over the Bilstein rears. The 04 rears have slightly stronger slow speed rebound but then become digressive and have much less high speed rebound force, which theoretically should give more grip (since rebound takes away grip) and also keeps the rear more planted and not as eager to step out.

I love Bilsteins, they usually have good valving since, and probably the best quality of anything out there. Quality in the sense that they last longer (between rebuilds) than any other damper manufacturer on the planet. But I would bet that the 04 shocks provide more grip and have the potential to turn a faster lap than the Bilstein sports. You got to really respect the R&D that went into the 04 shocks, and the Z06 in general.

not sure the valving will really show up on a dyno since it's a constant force. when sachs did these they altered the force curve to get stronger the more force was exerted against it. so, in high speed or high force cornering the shocks are very firm. it's really a crazy feeling to drive versus the conventional valving of the 02s there is substantially more traction both in acceleration and braking, as well as cornering, the wild part is they feel more compliant around town but have less body motion in corners, especially at speed.

i could not imagine a better shock for the factory springs and sways than the sachs 04's and i have driven a variety of koni, tokico, sachs and bilstein shocks over the years. these are spot on, would not change a thing.

there are some really good old articles on the sachs 04 shocks written back when big money was developing them. the neat thing about setting them up for the ring is that the ring is basically a big street, not an ultra smooth race track. these shocks are plain fast on the uneven terrain of your average back road.

Last edited by racebum; 05-10-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 01 Z06: Which shocks should I get?