Sponsored by:

[Z06] Extracting more performance out of your Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

Default Extracting more performance out of your Z06

Here's a trick of the trade many of you may not know, relocating your battery. You do this, you'll have close to 50/50 weight distribution, greater for high performance driving.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Justinduhhhh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might consider this but then i have a huge empty spot in the bay haha
Old 07-07-2013, 11:24 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Or you could just spend about $125 and get a 12lb Odessy or Dynabat battery.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
Or you could just spend about $125 and get a 12lb Odessy or Dynabat battery.
Nope wrong, your CCA's will be lower, you still got battery weight on the front of the car, plus you'll require additional fuses for correct amplifier installation.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:13 AM
vant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ASIHRA
Here's a trick of the trade many of you may not know, relocating your battery. You do this, you'll have close to 50/50 weight distribution, greater for high performance driving.

So how much does all this extra stuff weigh? And is it safe to have a wet cell battery inside the trunk which is open to the cabin?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 AM
mobius
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Or you could get a big *** blower and not worry about where the battery is... That extracts far more performance. imho
Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 AM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by ASIHRA
Nope wrong, your CCA's will be lower, you still got battery weight on the front of the car, plus you'll require additional fuses for correct amplifier installation.
Considering the battery is next to the firewall and not on the nose, it does not affect weight balance as much as say a pre-2005 Mustang would. I am thinking if someone is this concerned with weight and balance then adding additional weight with an amplifier/stereo system is defeating the purpose. To me I don't think with the stock battery location the relo is really worth the gains over just installing a smaller battery. However to each his own.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:09 PM
KF9BD
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course, the benefits of fine tuning the weight distribution assumes the driver skills are so good, so refined, that overall performance is being held back by the small difference in weight distribution caused by the battery position.......Really????? You folks really believe your skills are that good????

I know mine aren't. If they were I would be making a living driving.

No disrespect intended, but, really...

Danny
Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Tried relocating the battery to the trunk on my old 97z, it was nothing but problems. Added multiple grounds, used heavy gauge wiring (1/0 ga) and I could never get it to start right, always a weak start or not at all. Finally gave up on it and went back to stock. I would never mess with the battery location on the c5z. If anything I would just use a lighter battery. Just my $.02.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:22 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mobius
Or you could get a big *** blower and not worry about where the battery is... That extracts far more performance. imho
Old 07-08-2013, 01:08 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by KF9BD
Of course, the benefits of fine tuning the weight distribution assumes the driver skills are so good, so refined, that overall performance is being held back by the small difference in weight distribution caused by the battery position.......Really????? You folks really believe your skills are that good????

Danny
Cool write-up but I agree with the above. IMO, this is for full blown race cars and even then it's strongly debatable if one's skills are that good where you would notice the relocation. I've never heard of someone winning a race because one guy relocated his battery and the other guy didn't.

I too went with the Odyssey battery. I doubt many people are going to smaller batteries who put a bunch of stereo equipment in their car.

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 07-08-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:21 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by KF9BD

Danny
Well I will say that with combined mods I lowered my '97 Cobra's weight by about 200lbs. That is a noticable difference on track. Plus on a car like a Mustang where it sits on the front nose it does affect the way a car pushes. Some batteries are over 25-30lbs and taking that off the nose does make a difference. However where the battery is located on a Vette or newer Mustang you don't really gain much by going to the trunk plus you risk problems as mentioned above.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vant
So how much does all this extra stuff weigh? And is it safe to have a wet cell battery inside the trunk which is open to the cabin?
This requires factoring tons of variables, including:

- I'm implementing an Optima Yellow Top D35, about five pounds less with same or greater CCA's, plus far greater reserve capacity, for listening to music in a parking lot, for example

- Typically sealed batteries are going to be fine, you don't have to worry about corrosion, safety, or reliability

- Additional equipment is minimalistic, you don't really have to implement the LPE one I have displayed, get another box from SummitRacing.com including wiring kit, another six pounds at the most

- After relocation amplifier installation is not very complicated, your distribution block can now be just a terminal block right off your battery

- Remember, you're subtracting 40 pounds off the front of the car AND adding 35 pounds to the rear of the car, +75 pounds F/R weight distribution

Last edited by Hitman227; 07-08-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

It's a great idea, and done often

Lot's of odd/negative posts in this thread, it's too bad.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Thats why every BMW that I know of come with the battery in the trunk. I may do it someday to my Z06 as well, besides the weight distribution benefit, the battery now lives in a cooler environment and lasts longer. Win/Win...
Old 07-09-2013, 12:43 AM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

You can get crazy will all sorts of amps, capacitors, wires, connectors, distribution blocks, etc, however better car control is the goal. This is for implementation of weight distribution, which is the difference. Stronger weight transfer implements greater balance, faster corrections, more accurate driving.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 AM
badass7
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
Cool write-up but I agree with the above. IMO, this is for full blown race cars and even then it's strongly debatable if one's skills are that good where you would notice the relocation. I've never heard of someone winning a race because one guy relocated his battery and the other guy didn't.

I too went with the Odyssey battery. I doubt many people are going to smaller batteries who put a bunch of stereo equipment in their car.
^^Agreed, i've been road racing for years and this mod would be more of a hassle than any benefit it would yield on a track. Just curious, how often do you track your car?

Get notified of new replies

To Extracting more performance out of your Z06

Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 AM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
It's a great idea, and done often

Lot's of odd/negative posts in this thread, it's too bad.
I don't see any odd or negative posts above...maybe slightly a bit of sarcasm from one or two. I stick to my guns that for a daily driver that occasionally goes to the track, this mod wouldn't show much of a lap time gain, if any, like it would on cars with batteries out on the nose. But if I were to make my Z a dedicated track car then I would probably be considering this as well. Like I first said...to each his own.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:22 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Easier to sell your Z and buy a Dodge Viper--factory installed trunk battery-
Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bobby777
Easier to sell your Z and buy a Dodge Viper--factory installed trunk battery-
Based on the level of implementation you're talking about, you'll be better off with a Corolla.

Originally Posted by badass7
Just curious, how often do you track your car?
All the time, I hit apexes back and forth to Circle K repetitively.

EDIT: Didn't know you were talking to the rookie mister yellow corvette, nonetheless, I often hit canyons as well, handles fantastic.

Last edited by Hitman227; 07-09-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Extracting more performance out of your Z06