Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] High Torque Gear Reduction Starters! Very Cool!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:30 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Default High Torque Gear Reduction Starters! Very Cool!

These new ProComp Pro Thunder High Torque Gear Reduction Starter Motors turn the engine over faster than any stock starters.
Producing between 30 - 40% more cranking power, these 100% Brand NEW starter motors also feature an offset design resulting in more clearance between the oil pan and the starter. These new Pro Thunder Starter is designed to crank over the highest compression engines on a hot day. They feature all new components beginning with a three horsepower motor, a reduction 4.4:1 gear set and a Anodized and Powder Coated assembly to protect and keep it looking good. The armature is balanced during assembly and is guided by two ball bearings for smooth engagement and thousands of starts The Pro Thunder High Torque Gear Reduction Starter also features a billet aluminum mounting block that can be positioned in different locations to help clear suspension parts, the oil pan and exhaust systems.

1 Year Warranty

If you have headers look at the measurement picture and see if you have enough clearance. We had one guy not have the nessesary clearance. He didn't know what brand the headers were. The starter DID clear our 1-7/8 Kooks Headers.

Because this starter takes 2 long bolts instead of one short and one long, we are supplying one long bolt with the starter to go with your exiting long bolt. We also rotate the starter for you to the same position that worked best on our engine. Also there is a small tab that is cast into the housing of the starter that touches the block. We are machining that off for you. It is one of those things that you wouldn't notice but it binds against the block when you tighten the bolts down. We found it because our engine was out when we installed it and had a good visual. We have been in contact with ProComp and they want to work with us to resolve it. Its a minor issue if you know its there and nothing you need to worry about because its taken care of when you receive your starter from us and in no way affects the warranty.

Added pictures below to answer some of the questions we are getting asked.

A quick word from SacCityCorvette.
We use one of these Pro Thunder high performance gear reduction starters in our high compression 444 cubic inch LS2 Stroker 02 Z06. It is awesome! It spins the engine over with ease! And you will love the way it sounds too! Its one of the notably best upgrades we have done! We highly recommend this starter for any LS series engine whether it is stock or a race engine.

Only $172.95
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/LSxStarter.html

We also carry OEM style starters. See below.

Here's what you get.

We have added the Pig Tail wire. It eliminates the need to modify your factory wire that screws on to the solenoid. Simply screw the pig tail and your factory wire together then use the shrink tube to insulate the connection. Then just plug the quick connect onto the new starter solenoid.

OEM style Starter $129.95
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/LSxStarter.html

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!

Last edited by SacCityCorvette; 12-05-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:43 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Updated original post!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I'd be real curious to see if this is a good bandaid for using a Lithium ion type battery in the cold. The small batteries themselves don't do so good in the cold. Any chance you or a customer has tried this?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:47 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
I'd be real curious to see if this is a good bandaid for using a Lithium ion type battery in the cold. The small batteries themselves don't do so good in the cold. Any chance you or a customer has tried this?
Hey Supercharged111,
Nobody has mentioned it to us yet but I do see your logic behind that. Being that its a gear reduction starter it will spin the motor over easier with less voltage.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:21 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Sound clip from Mister Peebody using the ProComp high torque starter.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ry-cool-3.html

Christian

Last edited by SacCityCorvette; 03-07-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Ruune
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the pic with the headers. Does that close of a proximity to the headers create any heat issues?

I've got a 2011 Z06 Carbon, w/ LG headers and X-pipe, and when the engine is hot the factory starter gets a bit anemic. If I let it cool off, the motor improves... but it degrades over time. I'm on my second starter.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 AM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

SAME DAY SHIPPING!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Ruune
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
SAME DAY SHIPPING!!!
Just had one installed on my C6 mentioned above. I've had to replace two OEM starters, due to the heat from the headers. Should I be worried about this one, being so close? I've got LG long tube headers.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Ruune
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Li-ion batteries have less energy output at lower temps. After installing one, it feels like the amp draw from this motor is significantly higher. I have my doubts whether a lithium battery would have enough output to support it at lower temps.

On another note... The new starter turns over an LS 7 with ease!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:33 AM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Ruune
Just had one installed on my C6 mentioned above. I've had to replace two OEM starters, due to the heat from the headers. Should I be worried about this one, being so close? I've got LG long tube headers.
Hi Ruune,
Did you see the pictures in how close the KOOKS long tubes are on our z06? We haven't had a problem yet. It would be nice if there was something to put between the starter and headers.
How close are the LG's to the starter?

Also, have you checked the amp draw? To me, it felt like less since it spins so quick and easy. But feelings don't count.

Christian

Last edited by SacCityCorvette; 08-21-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Ruune
Heel & Toe

It's REALLY close. Like 3/8".

Re: amp draw... I got to thinking about it, and actually had it bass ackwards. Especially with a gear reduction. The motor spins faster because it has a higher KV rating (not to be confused with kV, or kilovolts!). Meaning it has more winds of thinner wire. This causes the amps to decrease, but voltage drawn and RPM increase. So, they're effectively using a higher KV motor with a lower reduction gear (assumption) to achieve more torque at the same RPM at the output shaft (the gear that turns your engine). Since the amp draw is reduced, it takes some of the load off the supporting power supply and associated electronics. So.. In theory... If your battery's output is reduced (age, li-ion temp, tom foolery, etc). Then this starter might be your saving grace.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:08 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Ours is 3/16" as shown in the above post. I'm going look into some heat shielding for it.

Good info on amp draw!

Christian
Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Did you know: The name "Corvette" was borrowed from a line of small, fast navy ships used in World War II.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:18 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

The first generation Corvette was introduced late in the 1953 model year. Originally designed as a show car for the 1953 Motorama display at the New York Auto Show, it generated enough interest to induce GM to make a production version to sell to the public. First production was on June 30, 1953.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:32 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

The second generation (C2) Corvette, which introduced Sting Ray to the model, continued with fiberglass body panels, and overall, was smaller than the first generation. The C2 was later referred to as mid-years.[19] The car was designed by Larry Shinoda with major inspiration from a previous concept design called the "Q Corvette," which was created by Peter Brock and Chuck Pohlmann under the styling direction of Bill Mitchell.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:22 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Whether your a Pro or a Do Your Own Repair kind of guy, here is a simple but very effective tool to help you make
easy work of installing your LS1-2-3-6-7-9 Timing and Rear Main cover and seals.
The AlignIt tool gets the timing & rear main covers centered perfectly with the crank and installs the seal in seconds! Check out the videos.
Having the seal centered accurately with the crank minimizes the chance of seal leakage.

Timing Cover AlignIt Only $26.95
Rear Main AlignIt Only $37.95
Hub simulator only $23.95
Buy more than one of the AlignIt Tools and save!

http://www.saccitycorvette.com/Timin...nmenttool.html
Old 09-12-2014, 08:24 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

We use one of these Pro Thunder high performance gear reduction starters in our high compression 444 cubic inch LS2 Stroker 02 Z06.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:32 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

These new Pro Thunder High Torque Gear Reduction Starter Motors turn the engine over faster than any stock starters.

Get notified of new replies

To High Torque Gear Reduction Starters! Very Cool!

Quick Reply: [Z06] High Torque Gear Reduction Starters! Very Cool!