Sponsored by:

[Z06] $12,995 a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:34 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $12,995 a good price?

I am new to the C5 world and i went and looked at a silver 2002 Z06 today at local nissan dealership they took in on a trade. It has 88k on the clock.. interior is ok.. for 11 year old car.. the paint was really clean.. no scratches but the rock chips on the front. The drivers headlight didnt want to raise up. and the clutch pedal was really squishy compared to other vettes i test drove. Almost like it wanted to stay on the floor when lifting up.. was slow to respond..
Old 10-25-2013, 09:19 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Needs a clutch, or at minimum a fluid change...which means you have to access the clutch at least...unless there is a remote bleeder. Likely I'd bet it needs a clutch. Plan on paying out for that to be done...it's a 15hr job, plus the clutch isn't Civic cheap...

13g's is real cheap for that mileage...so I'd be cautious...especially since it's at a dealer. A dealer wouldn't sell that car for 13 when it books in the 20's unless they knew something. Sounds like some possible issues, but not enough that I wouldn't look over it and consider it. All I know is, if the dealer is asking 13k, then that means a person would typically sell it for 10k. What Z06 goes for 10k? Sounds too good to be true. Go over it with a FINE TOOTH COMB...
Old 10-25-2013, 09:27 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

hmm.. there are 3 C5 z06 vettes in my area for 16k and under with less than 100k miles. The dealership told me that C5/C6 vettes have dropped in value due to the market being flooded with the ones being traded in from the release of the C7. He told me November 1st there sales manager said C6 vettes are dropping 5-7k across the board in value....

I drove the car.. the clutch never slipped i took it all the way up to redline... The rims and tires do need replaced.. because both of the passenger side wheels have huge curb marks all over the rims.. as if the last owner was a failure in life parallel parking it...
Old 10-25-2013, 09:47 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

if you can buy it, get it and flip it on ebay. bids disagree with what you're saying which means you're either

1. lying
2. looking at a salvage title or it has issues
3. you found a dealer hasn't even looked at current MMR to see what they could sell auction it for

in fact if you don't, post the dealer, if it's near by i'll buy it and flip it, if it's off a ways i'm sure someone else will the same day

post some links
Old 10-25-2013, 10:01 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

here is the link to the one that is 12,995
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...56783295&Log=0

here is the link to the one that is 15,995
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...50897795&Log=0
Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by storxusmc
here is the link to the one that is 12,995
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...56783295&Log=0

here is the link to the one that is 15,995
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...50897795&Log=0
cheap one is already gone

the 16k car is priced about right for that year and mileage if everything works and there are no issues. if there is any needed work you could move down from there. that's not a bad deal though especially if it's close to you. not really any money in a flip but it's a solid deal for a purchase. if the tires are old, fluids need to be flushed any of that you should be able to talk them into the 15s somewhere which would be around auction prices

if you like silver and can't or don't want to swing 20k for a 40k mile car i'd seriously consider that and check it out
Old 10-25-2013, 10:32 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tire and rim wear isn't a big deal, that's easy to replace. Ecxessive rock chips in the front says track time to me. A new clutch set up is definitely needed. Is it gonna be a dd or a track/fun car, maybe kind of both? Might make a sweet track terror....
Old 10-25-2013, 10:42 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by FruiTay
Tire and rim wear isn't a big deal, that's easy to replace. Ecxessive rock chips in the front says track time to me. A new clutch set up is definitely needed. Is it gonna be a dd or a track/fun car, maybe kind of both? Might make a sweet track terror....
driving in late fall, winter in a lot of places will pepper the hell out of the paint

lot of times the rubber chunks at the track are larger than the peppering you see on cars driven in rain and early winter

agree on the clutch though. if it was gently driven it will go awhile longer if you flush the fluid. 150k on a stock clutch isn't unheard of if it's not jumped on hard. even if it works well i'd be shocked if it wasn't sticky under WOT going through the gears
Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

I am not really sure what i am going to do with it.. DD or just toy.. i was going to find a nice C5/C6 and turn it into a DD but apparently my 2009 with alot of modifications is worth very little to the dealers i been to.. I am looking for something that is fun to drive because my current car is a 4 cylinder that i take to the track currently and the only clutch i could find to work on the power levels (twin disk) i am currently at is making my knee swell and become painful to drive during the week. I have an old ranger stick that the clutch is super light to push and its not bothering my knee honestly driving it.. so i think its purely the stiffness of the clutch that is killing me... I was honestly looking at an auto vette to replace it.. but after driving the ranger more these days.. my knee hasnt been bothering me all that much and got me thinking if i can find something that still has a stock like clutch but is quick enough to toy around at the track AutoX... then i think i would be good.. if worst comes to worst.. i could always swap it over to auto on the vette.. my current car.. its not possible noone has gotten an auto to live the amount of torque i am making yet..
Old 10-25-2013, 10:58 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

i asked this forum if it was good price.... because to me it seemed low... and when i pulled up KBB on all the Z06's i have looked at they are priced way way below what the kbb app tells me they are worth.. so before assuming it was a good deal.. i came here for some answers.. since i am not a vette guru by any means
Old 10-26-2013, 01:53 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by storxusmc
i asked this forum if it was good price.... because to me it seemed low... and when i pulled up KBB on all the Z06's i have looked at they are priced way way below what the kbb app tells me they are worth.. so before assuming it was a good deal.. i came here for some answers.. since i am not a vette guru by any means

kbb has no realistic value in the car market. dealers only use it to sell customers since kbb publishes higher than retail prices

nada guides is the book based off of the manheim dealer auctions and off of reported sales. check the value of your 09 and the z06's there.

100k mile 02 z06 has a clean trade of 15.5 and a retail of 19k

which is why i was saying 16k is a really good price. that's in the ballpark of what they would get at auction. most dealer auctions float around that clean trade number.

if the car is rough or in need of repairs it would make even more sense as it may only get 14-14.5 at auction

the peppered paint isn't really unusual at 100k. that's a lot of mileage and a lot of debris hitting a very low car with somewhat thin paint to start.

Last edited by racebum; 10-26-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Oh man...we got a live one here...
Old 10-26-2013, 05:02 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
the peppered paint isn't really unusual at 100k. that's a lot of mileage and a lot of debris hitting a very low car with somewhat thin paint to start.
My '02 only has 24K miles, and it's peppered some already on the hood - hard to prevent if the car is driven anywhere. Roads around here are jugged with gravel trucks dropping crap all over the roads.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:57 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
My '02 only has 24K miles, and it's peppered some already on the hood - hard to prevent if the car is driven anywhere. Roads around here are jugged with gravel trucks dropping crap all over the roads.
it's those lower panels i can't quite figure out. mine are sandblasted. little peppering on the front bumper and hood but man, down under the rear brake ducts all the way up to behind the front tire below the doors gets beat. every c5 i looked at had that too.

i'm not sure how people go about keeping mint paint. must live somewhere we don't. they gravel our roads in the winter and there is always a ton of pea gravel flying around, even in the summer river sand and pea gravel wind up in the roads
Old 10-26-2013, 03:10 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
it's those lower panels i can't quite figure out. mine are sandblasted. little peppering on the front bumper and hood but man, down under the rear brake ducts all the way up to behind the front tire below the doors gets beat. every c5 i looked at had that too.
I've noticed the front facial doesn't chip paint nearly as bad as the hood. I think the paint they use on the plastic fascia is more flexible. It will show a pit from the hit, but the paint rarely chips off. I had Stonegaurd put on the inside rear of my fender lips and on the rocker panels all the way back when the car was new, which helps a lot to protect the paint there.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:41 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is almost too cheap to not a have salvage title
Old 10-26-2013, 05:22 PM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Low clutch fluid could also cause it to be a bit lazy. Id check that first but it likely needs a new clutch. Otherwise, sounds like a deal

Get notified of new replies

To $12,995 a good price?

Old 10-26-2013, 06:26 PM
moe24
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

Ill be really cautious buying from a dealer..I called a dealer that had a z06 posted on autotrader for 14,500 the other day and the salesman told me they sold it, I was like DAMN I was to slow and then the sales said "I wouldnt feel to bad buddy that car had leaks every where from transmission all the way to the power steering pump" In my head I was like WTF you basterds got it posted on autotrader as a clean deal of the century car..I feel sorry for the buyer if he didnt have it inspected
Old 10-26-2013, 06:31 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by moe24
Ill be really cautious buying from a dealer..I called a dealer that had a z06 posted on autotrader for 14,500 the other day and the salesman told me they sold it, I was like DAMN I was to slow and then the sales said "I wouldnt feel to bad buddy that car had leaks every where from transmission all the way to the power steering pump" In my head I was like WTF you basterds got it posted on autotrader as a clean deal of the century car..I feel sorry for the buyer if he didnt have it inspected
well, dealers typically don't sell cars much under nada retail unless there is a reason

they can often get clean trade from other dealers and not have the hassle of a customer
Old 10-27-2013, 10:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by envyz06
It is almost too cheap to not a have salvage title
For sure or its a FRC with Z06 badges

Quick Reply: [Z06] $12,995 a good price?