Sponsored by:

[Z06] bad shock/suspension travel question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Default bad shock/suspension travel question

So i'll try and be as detailed as possible with this as i can, i'm not sure if this is a problem, bad/weak shock or just the nature of the corvette as i know not all fenders have even gaps. I have bilstien sport shocks, 20k miles on them 2500 miles have been road racing. I recently purchased a 19/20 street setup and i have a 27.6 inch tall R888 toyo tire in the rear. My passenger side rear tire hits the fenderwell at 12 o'clock when going over bumps on the freeway. These bumps aren't necessarily big but their rugged enough to where it hits hard enough to bounce my passenger rear tire to hit my fender well (almost like driving over a speed bump very fast). Dips in the road don't cause this only immediate bumps. My driver side rear barely has ever touched the 12 o'clock position, so is this just a bad shock? or is the passenger side rear for some reason a bit lower than the driver side?

My front is lowered all the way on stock bolts/stock bushings, i have no rubbing or anything at all with a 265/35/19 tire. My front driver side fender gap is 1/2 inch taller than my front passenger side fender gap. My rear driver side fender gap is 1/4 lower than my rear passenger side. So my car is uneven from a fender gap perspective on every level lol. The rear is raised a significant amount because of the tires and the bolts are on even threads. The car drives perfectly straight, measuring from the frame on all sides the passenger front and rear are 1/64 of an inch taller than the driver side, so my car is practically level from the frame which is where you actually measure not the fender gaps.

I wanted to give as much information as possible to help answer my questions:

*Is this fender gap normal considering my frame is level?
*Why would my passenger side rear be rubbing and my driver side not? bad shock? i personally think there is way to much suspension travel and shock rebound with these bilstien shocks but i don't have money for coilovers at this moment which would take care of that and i don't think i can buy any stiffer shocks. This is a weekend car i don't mind a stiff ride but when going over dips my whole car will float down not rebound quickly, which is how i would prefer. I believe its suspension travel that is making my tire hit but why only that tire? thats why its kind of confusing me.
I do feel my car push to the right under really hard acceleration from a dead stop almost like it wants to kick that way, might be a bad rear passenger shock? or just the TQ of the motor im at 615RWHP/523RWTQ i remember my GT500 always slightly kick to the right from a dig from the TQ. I could always just swap the rear shocks around (that might answer my question if its a bad shock or their just not stiff enough) which i don't have a problem doing but i figured i'd ask here before i did that. Thanks!!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Corner weigh your car, first with the shocks disconnected, and at that time check the shocks to make sure that they all still have their gas pressure and are equal.

The other problem is that the hi-speed rebound is not compatible with the lower profile/larger diameter/wight of your wheel/tire choice.

Mark.

Quick Reply: [Z06] bad shock/suspension travel question