Underdrive pulley, any gains on stock - Corvette Forum

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Z06 Discussion
Log In 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory
Search

C5 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS6 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

Underdrive pulley, any gains on stock

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
Medic949
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2013
Posts: 10
Default Underdrive pulley, any gains on stock

I'm looking at optimizing the power of my stock 2002 Z06. I have seen under drive pulley upgrade packages claiming increase in power. Is there any truth to this and is the power increase worth the money?
Medic949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
PeteZ06
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11
 
PeteZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2004
Location: Bartlett IL
Posts: 4,276
Default

I think its good for 3-5 rwhp... I remember a few people dynoing their cars before and after installing an ASP underdrive pulley many years ago and that was the average. I ran one on my previous cars... not even sure if they make one for the LS7.. something I should look into myself.
__________________
'01 Z06 Speedway White/Black
LS7 427
www.speedinc.com
PeteZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
0H1Z06
CF Senior Member
 
0H1Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: Anna "pfho Pfanna" TEXAS
Posts: 8,663
Default

I purchased one for my current 414ci.... Powerdyne...

IMO if you are going to change out UD pulley you may as well throw a cam up in there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZ06 View Post
I think its good for 3-5 rwhp... I remember a few people dynoing their cars before and after installing an ASP underdrive pulley many years ago and that was the average. I ran one on my previous cars... not even sure if they make one for the LS7.. something I should look into myself.
0H1Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
PeteZ06
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11
 
PeteZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2004
Location: Bartlett IL
Posts: 4,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0H1Z06 View Post
I purchased one for my current 414ci.... Powerdyne...

IMO if you are going to change out UD pulley you may as well throw a cam up in there...
You mean a real cam?

My LS7 is heads and cam but just a super small cam, I ran aggressive cams for too long in my previous cars that I really just wanted something tamer this round. Maybe one of these days I'll put in a healthy cam, get a LSX intake and drop my cats and break the 600+rwhp mark
__________________
'01 Z06 Speedway White/Black
LS7 427
www.speedinc.com
PeteZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
0H1Z06
CF Senior Member
 
0H1Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: Anna "pfho Pfanna" TEXAS
Posts: 8,663
Default

you know what I meant PeteZ06....
I am opting for the aggressive cam, ported LSX intake, different fuel system, TEA's, Calloway Honker... etc, blahze,... I am chasing the 600 mark that you speak of.... Sorry to get off topic to the OP....

A "pulley" will be nice.... and inexpensive...



Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZ06 View Post
You mean a real cam?

My LS7 is heads and cam but just a super small cam, I ran aggressive cams for too long in my previous cars that I really just wanted something tamer this round. Maybe one of these days I'll put in a healthy cam, get a LSX intake and drop my cats and break the 600+rwhp mark
__________________

2001 Corvette Z06
LS2 based 414ci stroker (718/732)

2002 Camaro SS 35th LE
2011 Lexus IS350 Fsport
0H1Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
williamb81
CF Senior Member
 
williamb81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Posts: 100
Default

I just installed one on my hot rod. Ill post the hp gains in a week or two.
williamb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
ptindall
CF Senior Member
 
ptindall's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Picking on the weakest kid in the yard.
Posts: 19,912
Default

I installed one when my stock one started wobbling and threw the belt. I don't have a before and after dyno but I will say there was no negative side effect.
ptindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Moto One
CF Senior Member
 
Moto One's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Truckee CA
Posts: 556
Default

I have always thought that the reason for under drive pulleys was so that you don't damage the alt/ac compressed from extended hi RPM runs. I was also told that if you are using your car for daily driving (commuting ect) you run the risk of not getting enough spin on the alt to properly keep the charging system at need levels.

Mark.
Moto One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
Scooter70
CF Senior Member
 
Scooter70's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: The Motor City
Posts: 4,535
scooter70 scooter477
Send a message via AIM to Scooter70
Default

Is 3-5hp worth the hours of labor to just install a damper? (You need to move the steering rack out of the way to change the crank pulley. If you haven't done that yet, it's a pain in the a$$.) Like stated above, if you're going in that deep, you might as well spend the extra hour or two and swap the cam (and springs... and pushrods... and injectors.... and put on a FAST 92 and LS2 throttle body... and AFR heads....).

It's a never-ending series of "while I'm at it...".
__________________


2001 MY Z06
1970 LS1/T56 Coupe (sold)

Scooter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
skyavonee
CF Senior Member
 
skyavonee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter70 View Post
Is 3-5hp worth the hours of labor to just install a damper? (You need to move the steering rack out of the way to change the crank pulley. If you haven't done that yet, it's a pain in the a$$.) Like stated above, if you're going in that deep, you might as well spend the extra hour or two and swap the cam (and springs... and...

It's a never-ending series of "while I'm at it...".
skyavonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
ptindall
CF Senior Member
 
ptindall's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Picking on the weakest kid in the yard.
Posts: 19,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto One View Post
I was also told that if you are using your car for daily driving (commuting ect) you run the risk of not getting enough spin on the alt to properly keep the charging system at need levels.

Mark.
That and the water pump and power steering pump also turns slower opening the possibility of poorer engine cooling and insufficient pump pressure or volume when turned the wheel quickly. However, having done this mod, I can tell you that none of these occured for me.
ptindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #12
PRE-Z06
Supporting Vendor
 
PRE-Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 6,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic949 View Post
I'm looking at optimizing the power of my stock 2002 Z06. I have seen under drive pulley upgrade packages claiming increase in power. Is there any truth to this and is the power increase worth the money?
Depends on how much they are underdriven and how much lighter, but I'd say ~3-8rwhp higher side being 25% reduction compared to 10%.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNb3maKeytI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg1OX90xbWY
~422rwhp+Monster Level 2/4.10=60'-1.49 1320'-10.99/125.5
Best mph-127.1


~520rwhp 6.0+LT1S/3.42=60'-1.56, 660'-105.9mph, 1320'-132.5 with headwind and 0' DA



PRE-Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page Underdrive pulley, any gains on stock
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
L79 power steering conversion 67lynndale C1 & C2 Corvettes 13 08-06-2015 12:05 PM
ZO6 looking for more power C6-Q8i C7 Z06 Discussion 12 06-26-2015 04:31 PM
Looking for a couple stock pulleys Jeffro_510 Northern California 0 03-28-2015 12:36 AM
power steering pulley burpa C1 & C2 Parts 6 11-28-2014 05:35 PM
Looking for tuner Caveboy C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous 1 07-15-2014 05:12 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

 
Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory
 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Emails & Password Backup