Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Z06 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS6 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
Medic949

Default Underdrive pulley, any gains on stock

I'm looking at optimizing the power of my stock 2002 Z06. I have seen under drive pulley upgrade packages claiming increase in power. Is there any truth to this and is the power increase worth the money?
Medic949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
PeteZ06
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I think its good for 3-5 rwhp... I remember a few people dynoing their cars before and after installing an ASP underdrive pulley many years ago and that was the average. I ran one on my previous cars... not even sure if they make one for the LS7.. something I should look into myself.
PeteZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
0H1Z06
CF Senior Member

I purchased one for my current 414ci.... Powerdyne...

IMO if you are going to change out UD pulley you may as well throw a cam up in there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZ06 View Post
I think its good for 3-5 rwhp... I remember a few people dynoing their cars before and after installing an ASP underdrive pulley many years ago and that was the average. I ran one on my previous cars... not even sure if they make one for the LS7.. something I should look into myself.
0H1Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
PeteZ06
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0H1Z06 View Post
I purchased one for my current 414ci.... Powerdyne...

IMO if you are going to change out UD pulley you may as well throw a cam up in there...
You mean a real cam?

My LS7 is heads and cam but just a super small cam, I ran aggressive cams for too long in my previous cars that I really just wanted something tamer this round. Maybe one of these days I'll put in a healthy cam, get a LSX intake and drop my cats and break the 600+rwhp mark
PeteZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
0H1Z06
CF Senior Member

you know what I meant PeteZ06....
I am opting for the aggressive cam, ported LSX intake, different fuel system, TEA's, Calloway Honker... etc, blahze,... I am chasing the 600 mark that you speak of.... Sorry to get off topic to the OP....

A "pulley" will be nice.... and inexpensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZ06 View Post
You mean a real cam?

My LS7 is heads and cam but just a super small cam, I ran aggressive cams for too long in my previous cars that I really just wanted something tamer this round. Maybe one of these days I'll put in a healthy cam, get a LSX intake and drop my cats and break the 600+rwhp mark
0H1Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
williamb81
CF Member

I just installed one on my hot rod. Ill post the hp gains in a week or two.
williamb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
ptindall
CF Senior Member

Location: Catching tuxnharley lying, making him cry, and telling the world how slow his Volt is until he puts me on his ignore list.

I installed one when my stock one started wobbling and threw the belt. I don't have a before and after dyno but I will say there was no negative side effect.
ptindall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Moto One
CF Senior Member

I have always thought that the reason for under drive pulleys was so that you don't damage the alt/ac compressed from extended hi RPM runs. I was also told that if you are using your car for daily driving (commuting ect) you run the risk of not getting enough spin on the alt to properly keep the charging system at need levels.

Mark.
Moto One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
Scooter70
CF Senior Member

scooter70 scooter477
Send a message via AIM to Scooter70

Is 3-5hp worth the hours of labor to just install a damper? (You need to move the steering rack out of the way to change the crank pulley. If you haven't done that yet, it's a pain in the a$$.) Like stated above, if you're going in that deep, you might as well spend the extra hour or two and swap the cam (and springs... and pushrods... and injectors.... and put on a FAST 92 and LS2 throttle body... and AFR heads....).

It's a never-ending series of "while I'm at it...".

2001 MY Z06
1970 LS1/T56 Coupe (sold)

Scooter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
skyavonee
CF Senior Member

michaelschiavoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter70 View Post
Is 3-5hp worth the hours of labor to just install a damper? (You need to move the steering rack out of the way to change the crank pulley. If you haven't done that yet, it's a pain in the a$$.) Like stated above, if you're going in that deep, you might as well spend the extra hour or two and swap the cam (and springs... and...

It's a never-ending series of "while I'm at it...".
skyavonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
ptindall
CF Senior Member

Location: Catching tuxnharley lying, making him cry, and telling the world how slow his Volt is until he puts me on his ignore list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto One View Post
I was also told that if you are using your car for daily driving (commuting ect) you run the risk of not getting enough spin on the alt to properly keep the charging system at need levels.

Mark.
That and the water pump and power steering pump also turns slower opening the possibility of poorer engine cooling and insufficient pump pressure or volume when turned the wheel quickly. However, having done this mod, I can tell you that none of these occured for me.
ptindall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #12
PRE-Z06
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic949 View Post
I'm looking at optimizing the power of my stock 2002 Z06. I have seen under drive pulley upgrade packages claiming increase in power. Is there any truth to this and is the power increase worth the money?
Depends on how much they are underdriven and how much lighter, but I'd say ~3-8rwhp higher side being 25% reduction compared to 10%.
Best mph-127.1

Chris, 817-750-2000

PRE-Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:46 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page Underdrive pulley, any gains on stock