Sponsored by:

[Z06] Question about high mileage Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 06:04 PM
firebirdfan
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Question about high mileage Z06

There's a local place that has a 2003 Z06 with a ton of mileage on it. However, his price isn't too bad, and after looking at the car, I'm very tempted to jump on it.

Here's the link:
http://asheville.craigslist.org/ctd/4354375400.html

The car was owned by a pharmaceutical rep (sales guy) and was driven daily. He bought it brand new. He gave it to his daughter to drive for an unknown amount of time before it was bought by the dealership.

Here's what I know about the car:
-Clean carfax (no wrecks)
-Differential isn't leaking (at least from what I could see)
-No oil/PS/coolant leaks in the engine bay that I can see (no idea about oil pan)
-No rock chips that I could find on the front
-Radiator "supports" under the nose look like they've been rubbed a few times but nothing majorly bent
-Headlights work properly
-AC blows cold
-Oil pressure on startup was ~45psi. A quick rev to ~2000 and it was around/above 50.
-Car cranked almost immediately (hadn't been started that day)
-New battery
-Car is 100% bone stock from what I can tell. Suspension hasn't been lowered (I can fit a fist between each tire/fender)
-New Bridgestone RE760s

The not so good:
-Clutch fluid is black as night
-Brake fluid is black as well
-No idea when the clutch was last changed
-HUD is broken
-Driver's seat has no tears, but lower (bottom) plastic is bulged out near switches.
-Passenger seat has minor tear on bolster, not fully ripped, but a pretty deep crack
-Center console is cracked on PS side
-Large plastic cover that goes under the steering wheel, and then down the front of the radio/center console is loose/broken
-Plastic tray and "cupholder" at bottom of console are broken/loose
-Brake pads are about gone.
-Lower rocker behind front tires has had paint eroded away by salt/road debris.

Not sure what to make of this thing. The price is super tempting, but I'm concerned about the mileage. With 175k, I know things are going to need some care. The car fired up almost instantly, and it was a totally 100% cold start. It idled fine and keeping the revs under 2k, I didn't hear any strange noises or exhaust leaks.

I did notice that the engine rocked the car a bit at idle. It definitely wasn't missing, but I'm not sure if it's normal. Engine mounts could be worn out. I started up a base C5 that was sitting next to it (automatic) and you couldn't feel the engine rocking nearly as clearly.

My biggest concern is going to be the clutch. I know how much goes into changing it out. My buddy and I both engineers and are perfectly capable of doing it, but it's not something I want to undertake 1 month after buying it.

My plans for this would be the same as my current Mustang. Mainly just autocrossing and the occasional track day (I did 2 last year, this year might just be 1). I'd mod it slowly over time compared to my Mustang that I built all in 1 go (never again).

I'm impressed by the condition of the car considering the mileage that's on it. However, the mechanical bits are my main concern. I'm not sure about the clutch and the fact that I could feel the engine rocking throughout the car.

Anybody want to weigh in on this? I'm not sure if I missed anything major in my initial inspection. I haven't driven the thing, but I might sometime this week (assuming it's still there).

*edit* I'm not sure I'd give 13k for this thing. I'd almost surely pick it up if I could get it for 11. Is that a fair price, or am I aiming too low?

Last edited by firebirdfan; 03-09-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:38 PM
ZO6DRIVER
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$13K is way above KBB Value Private party I'm sure...

Mine has 131K miles And I have turned down $18K cash offers...

Mine is way below $18K KBB.... But it's all about how the Z was taken care of mostly?!? These cars will Goooooooo 200000 miles without a Problem or more Maintained properly.... If that is all your Budget is $13K offer him $12K cash and Enjoy!!!

2003 Corvette ZO6 KBB value is about $11,300.00 for His high miles in Excellent Condition!

Last edited by ZO6DRIVER; 03-09-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

He's asking 12900.. that means he'll probably let it go for 12000.. maybe even 11500... But figure dumping around 2-3K into it to get it up to speed.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6DRIVER
$13K is way above KBB Value Private party I'm sure...

Mine has 131K miles And I have turned down $18K cash offers...

Mine is way below $18K KBB.... But it's all about how the Z was taken care of mostly?!? These cars will Goooooooo 200000 miles without a Problem or more Maintained properly.... If that is all your Budget is $13K offer him $12K cash and Enjoy!!!

2003 Corvette ZO6 KBB value is about $11,300.00 for His high miles in Excellent Condition!
no one uses kbb, the have only recently gained mention on the buy side because they drastically lowered their c5 prices a few months back

we go over this almost weekly in here. they are often out of line too high or too low

nada clean trade is 13,474 and retail is 17
Old 03-09-2014, 10:30 PM
normanviking
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2003 black Z06 with 133K two months ago for $17000 out the door. Much better shape though.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:08 AM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by firebirdfan
There's a local place that has a 2003 Z06 with a ton of mileage on it. However, his price isn't too bad, and after looking at the car, I'm very tempted to jump on it.

Here's the link:
http://asheville.craigslist.org/ctd/4354375400.html

The car was owned by a pharmaceutical rep (sales guy) and was driven daily. He bought it brand new. He gave it to his daughter to drive for an unknown amount of time before it was bought by the dealership.

Here's what I know about the car:
-Clean carfax (no wrecks)
-Differential isn't leaking (at least from what I could see)
-No oil/PS/coolant leaks in the engine bay that I can see (no idea about oil pan)
-No rock chips that I could find on the front
-Radiator "supports" under the nose look like they've been rubbed a few times but nothing majorly bent
-Headlights work properly
-AC blows cold
-Oil pressure on startup was ~45psi. A quick rev to ~2000 and it was around/above 50.
-Car cranked almost immediately (hadn't been started that day)
-New battery
-Car is 100% bone stock from what I can tell. Suspension hasn't been lowered (I can fit a fist between each tire/fender)
-New Bridgestone RE760s

The not so good:
-Clutch fluid is black as night
-Brake fluid is black as well
-No idea when the clutch was last changed
-HUD is broken
-Driver's seat has no tears, but lower (bottom) plastic is bulged out near switches.
-Passenger seat has minor tear on bolster, not fully ripped, but a pretty deep crack
-Center console is cracked on PS side
-Large plastic cover that goes under the steering wheel, and then down the front of the radio/center console is loose/broken
-Plastic tray and "cupholder" at bottom of console are broken/loose
-Brake pads are about gone.
-Lower rocker behind front tires has had paint eroded away by salt/road debris.

Not sure what to make of this thing. The price is super tempting, but I'm concerned about the mileage. With 175k, I know things are going to need some care. The car fired up almost instantly, and it was a totally 100% cold start. It idled fine and keeping the revs under 2k, I didn't hear any strange noises or exhaust leaks.

I did notice that the engine rocked the car a bit at idle. It definitely wasn't missing, but I'm not sure if it's normal. Engine mounts could be worn out. I started up a base C5 that was sitting next to it (automatic) and you couldn't feel the engine rocking nearly as clearly.

My biggest concern is going to be the clutch. I know how much goes into changing it out. My buddy and I both engineers and are perfectly capable of doing it, but it's not something I want to undertake 1 month after buying it.

My plans for this would be the same as my current Mustang. Mainly just autocrossing and the occasional track day (I did 2 last year, this year might just be 1). I'd mod it slowly over time compared to my Mustang that I built all in 1 go (never again).

I'm impressed by the condition of the car considering the mileage that's on it. However, the mechanical bits are my main concern. I'm not sure about the clutch and the fact that I could feel the engine rocking throughout the car.

Anybody want to weigh in on this? I'm not sure if I missed anything major in my initial inspection. I haven't driven the thing, but I might sometime this week (assuming it's still there).

*edit* I'm not sure I'd give 13k for this thing. I'd almost surely pick it up if I could get it for 11. Is that a fair price, or am I aiming too low?
I have seen this car in person as well on Smokey Park hwy. Not bad at all for the mileage. I just live a few miles from there. I know who the girl is that use to own it as well. She asked me a while back if I knew anyone that was interested in buying it because she knew that I had mine. She was rock girl Cathy for 105.9 The Mountain last year. If you can get it for 11k I would go for it.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:34 AM
firebirdfan
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GenerationX1
I have seen this car in person as well on Smokey Park hwy. Not bad at all for the mileage. I just live a few miles from there. I know who the girl is that use to own it as well. She asked me a while back if I knew anyone that was interested in buying it because she knew that I had mine. She was rock girl Cathy for 105.9 The Mountain last year. If you can get it for 11k I would go for it.
Can you ask her if she knows when the clutch was last changed?
Old 03-10-2014, 01:59 PM
racebum
Race Director

hard to say if it ever was. i came across one car with 240k miles on the OEM clutch. if they aren't driven hard they tend to go a long long time
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would think for $12k it's a decent deal. Just buy it planning to rebuild the engine/tranny.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 PM
racebum
Race Director

all depends on how you operate the car and how the previous guy operated it. i actually saw one 2002 z06 with 298k miles sell on ebay. original engine and trans. guy drove cross country a few times per year and had a sales job running all over. it went for 10k

but

original motor and trans guys
Old 03-10-2014, 11:06 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
Just buy it planning to rebuild the engine/tranny.
Why? I sure as hell don't plan on rebuilding my engine or trans anytime soon and my car has 150,000 miles. Neither piece has ever been apart for any reason. I changed the clutch for the first time at 140,000 just to change the slave cylinder. The clutch was perfectly fine with a ton of meat still on it. My car is actually quite virgin in a number of ways besides the engine never being opened. The door panels have never been off and the shocks are original, for example.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:22 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by firebirdfan
Can you ask her if she knows when the clutch was last changed?
I asked her earlier and she told me she had no idea.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 PM
racebum
Race Director

if it's coal black it's already done. plan on changing ALL the fluids in it when or if you get it. i would fully bleed that clutch if you can..at least 3 times. lot of crap will come out of it
Old 03-13-2014, 12:10 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Looks solid! When I bought mine I actually wanted a bit more mileage. I didn't want anything under 40k miles. The rocking from the engine is pretty normal, the z06 has a more aggressive cam than that base model, every one I have ever been in rocks a little at idle. If you can talk him down a bit more, I'd jump on it.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:57 AM
JoeDAnnunzio
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the battery! A new battery scares me now. Look underneath and make sure the original battery never leaked. If you don't have that issue I would offer 11K and feel like I got a good deal.

I just spent the last month rehabing my '02 Z. It was all mostly nick-nack kind of stuff, which is what this one sounds like too. So far I think I have about 500 bucks in it to fix all the issues I came across, and now I know the car inside and out.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:09 AM
LSX_NUT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

test drive it!!!! if it feels good, i'd say go for it. Will make an excellent track car for short money.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:02 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ptindall
Why? I sure as hell don't plan on rebuilding my engine or trans anytime soon and my car has 150,000 miles. Neither piece has ever been apart for any reason. I changed the clutch for the first time at 140,000 just to change the slave cylinder. The clutch was perfectly fine with a ton of meat still on it. My car is actually quite virgin in a number of ways besides the engine never being opened. The door panels have never been off and the shocks are original, for example.
Any vehicle approaching 200k miles is going to begin having oil leaks at some point, even a proven Ford F150 pickup truck. Gaskets just don't hold up for that many miles. I would figure valve covers and oil pan at a minimum.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about high mileage Z06

Old 03-13-2014, 03:14 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
Any vehicle approaching 200k miles is going to begin having oil leaks at some point, even a proven Ford F150 pickup truck. Gaskets just don't hold up for that many miles. I would figure valve covers and oil pan at a minimum.
You said rebuild the engine and trans. That's different than fixing possible leaks. And no, the oil pan and valve cover gaskets will probably not be leaking well past 200,000 miles. Its possible just like anything else failing is possible but not probable. Valve covers and oil pan are cast and machined aluminum with very good steel inserted gaskets. Very different from stamped steel and simple cork or rubber gaskets.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:43 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by ptindall
You said rebuild the engine and trans. That's different than fixing possible leaks. And no, the oil pan and valve cover gaskets will probably not be leaking well past 200,000 miles. Its possible just like anything else failing is possible but not probable. Valve covers and oil pan are cast and machined aluminum with very good steel inserted gaskets. Very different from stamped steel and simple cork or rubber gaskets.

cv axles, trans to rear and and possibly rear main along with the crank sensor would be my most likely guesses.

the main engine gaskets on these cars are an extremely flexible rubber and with all cast parts they really don't leak much

the rear end is probably the most leak prone part of the car. the cv axle seals are no different than a honda....which by the way, don't always leak at 200k either. although quite a few do
Old 03-13-2014, 06:26 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Originally Posted by racebum

cv axles, trans to rear and and possibly rear main along with the crank sensor would be my most likely guesses.

the main engine gaskets on these cars are an extremely flexible rubber and with all cast parts they really don't leak much

the rear end is probably the most leak prone part of the car. the cv axle seals are no different than a honda....which by the way, don't always leak at 200k either. although quite a few do
My Chevy Lumina passed 200,000 miles last week. All four CV boots are original and look great with no leaking. Meanwhile both outers on my parent's Buick LeSabre split before 140,000. I've already replaced one on my mother in law's Camry with less than 100,000. Go figure.

Last edited by ptindall; 03-13-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Question about high mileage Z06