Sponsored by:

[Z06] Spark plugs and wire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Ferg03 Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Spark plugs and wire suggestions

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere before, but what spark plug wires and plugs are recommended? I have a bone stock C5Z with 33k miles...I have put roughly 1000 miles on the car since I have owned it since January(that includes the 400 mile trip after purchasing it) but I was curious and wanted to check the plugs..So the other day I removed the 2nd plug from the front on the passenger side(unsure of cylinder number) and man that thing was difficult to get out. Someone had way over tightened them! But anyways after I get the plug out....I see the tip is white(I know this is bad) meaning possibly running lean and the bottom of the plug behind the threads has a slight and I mean slight coat of oil on it...I then move to the driver side and remove the 2nd and 3rd from the front(unsure of cylinder numbers) and both those plugs tips are white also has the slight coat of oil as well...as I am removing the wire from the 3rd plug the wire separated from the boot and broke!! Needless to say I was totally pissed...but it was melted and was clearly my fault!

Well I assume these are factory plugs(I do not have the numbers on them) they were AC Delco plugs and of the 3 I removed all of them were way over tightened in my opinion and the tips were white!

The car had NO issues ran perfect, pulled strong through all rpm ranges and gears..but I just want to do some preventative maintenance.

What plugs and wires do you recommend? I have looked at the GM performance parts wires and think they will work for me..just really unsure of the plugs..I will be installing a cam and all supporting mods in the future, and LT's(want something that will take the heat)..I have seen some of the MSD wires, but they are all 12" long and the extra length will cause major problems in my opinion. Any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:20 PM
dan1546
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MSD has wires made for the LS series motors... I have them they work and fit just fine. The stock replacement OEM wires will also be just fine.

As for plugs stock iridium work well but if you don't mind changing the plugs a bit more regularly try the NGK TR5 plugs...much cheaper and never had an issue in my vette or my 460rwhp GTO.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:54 AM
Ferg03 Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by dan1546
MSD has wires made for the LS series motors... I have them they work and fit just fine. The stock replacement OEM wires will also be just fine.

As for plugs stock iridium work well but if you don't mind changing the plugs a bit more regularly try the NGK TR5 plugs...much cheaper and never had an issue in my vette or my 460rwhp GTO.
Thanks I will look at the TR5 plugs. I have heard lots of good things about them!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:44 AM
Ferg03 Z06
Racer

I was also looking around on youtube at how to-to get some tips about making the changing of some of the plugs easier..and I noticed that I do not have the metal shield that goes over the wire boot..I just have the exposed wire boots. Is this a big deal?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Delco or NGK Irridium Stock heat range and GMPP Red wires. Make sure to keep the stock plug boots on (Metal heat shields) and use anti-seize on the plug threads and boot grease on the plug end where the boot goes on to keep from sticking in the future.

S
Old 07-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Ferg03 Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by RedZMonte
Delco or NGK Irridium Stock heat range and GMPP Red wires. Make sure to keep the stock plug boots on (Metal heat shields) and use anti-seize on the plug threads and boot grease on the plug end where the boot goes on to keep from sticking in the future.

S
I did order the GMPP wires and NGK TR-55 plugs...I do not have the metal heat shields..they were not on the car when purchased...That's probably why the wire I broke was melted..and I always use Anti-seize and lithium grease on the plug ends where the boot meets.

Any one have thoughts why the plug electrodes are white? I know it means I am possibly running lean...should I worry about it? Im thinking about doing LT's and X-pipe anyways..and will get a dyno tune then...
Old 07-12-2014, 04:48 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZMonte

S
Ditto--no gains with any plugs or wires--stay with gm/ac parts-

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plugs and wire suggestions

Quick Reply: [Z06] Spark plugs and wire suggestions