[Z06] AFR 205's and C6Z exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 01:28 PM
ls404fd
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
VERY VERY NICE!!!! Gorgeous MY C5Z ripping through the gears... I say you get
Thank you!! I'm having a lot of fun with the mods.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:30 AM
dougrodriguez
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome nice to see another yellow z in the ie
Old 09-14-2014, 07:58 PM
ls404fd
Instructor

Well last Thursday was a really fun time. Irwindale drag strip always has Thursday night test and tune. I met some friends out there. One with a stock C5Z, one with a '99 base with exhaust, and one with a foxbody that I did a cam install on recently.

Best part of the night was we all drove each other's cars. My car is a lot faster than I thought it was. My buddy's zo6 felt pretty down on power. I have a lot more midrange part throttle power. The powerband comes in at the same point on both cars still, around 4500rpm, but mine has a big surge and it is much more gentle on the stock ls6. Screams like a **** too. Intake and exhaust note are way improved, which has honestly been the best part.

I've been having a ton of fun with my car, but I was really proud of it that night. Came together pretty much just as I imagined it.

Funniest thing was letting the guy with the base '99 drive mine. He couldn't stop laughing inside the car. I let him launch it and he kept ripping off 1st and 2nd gear pulls. He would go from a look of terror to laughing hysterically.

I drove his '99 and the interesting thing was that the LS1 was basically flat. 60% throttle at 3000 rpm felt just as good as WOT. It's just torquing around with long gear ratios. Not necessarily bad, but not very sporty. Was my first time driving an ls1.

Had a good time at the strip too. Again I was faster than a lot of much more expensive and newer cars. Outran a GT500, CTS-V, many new 5.0's and Camaros. One auto stingray was there but he didn't know how to drive.

I made 3 runs. First run I had to abort because 1st - 2nd gear change hopped harder than I thought possible...was waiting for pieces to come flying out.

Second run I let some tire pressure down and I spun all of first, all of 2nd, and a little in 3rd which is practically the entire 1/8th mile. Ran an 8.28@91.75.

Third run I waited for the temperature to come down some. I left at around 2200rpm slipping the clutch and it would just roll into wheel spin. Surprised at how little traction I had. It spun for a very very long time in first gear. 2nd and 3rd ran good this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhlN...ature=youtu.be

92.20 mph

Really happy because that was a full .273 second improvement to the 1/8 mile and 2.7mph faster than when I ran at Fontana and went 12.69@114.5mph. Would put me at a 12.40@117 all things equal. Possibly better.

Wanted to make a 4th run but it got crowded and we were hungry. I was going to drop the tires to like 18psi and hopefully get first to stick a little better. There's definitely 7 second 1/8 mile times in the car on street tires in better conditions. With drag radials and no fear of breakage I could see 1.8 short times and 7.80's@93+ in the ****** summer weather here. Not bad.

Name:  dHZK9Ss.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  107.8 KB
Old 09-15-2014, 02:06 PM
spdrcr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice build.

Which Corsa 3" X-pipe did you use?

I'm considering a similar exhaust setup as I am in CA as well. I assume you haven't had to take it in for a smog check yet with this configuration?
Old 09-15-2014, 02:32 PM
ls404fd
Instructor

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-3...s7zr1-ls9.aspx

This is the x-pipe I got. It's an x-pipe for a stock C6Z. Some fab work is required in the rear to mate to the stock mufflers and you have to move the hanger location a little bit. Its a bolt in piece front and rear now for me.

Some people have used the x-pipe from a stock c6z or zr1 also. I opted to get the corsa piece.

I have smogged yet no. I opted to eliminate the air injection. You could weld on some bungs to incorporate it if you want. The air injection is throwing a code every once in a while and I'm not sure why. It goes on and off. It took about a month for the code to show up...so kind of strange. The system is working as intended the best I can tell. Just blowing into the engine bay instead of into the exhaust.

I don't think the smog tech will look that closely at it to notice the missing air injection. I left the pump and everything there so it comes on and cycles on start-up as it is supposed to.

Last edited by ls404fd; 09-15-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:43 PM
spdrcr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link and info.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:07 PM
ls404fd
Instructor

One thing I forgot to mention is I think the dual 3 inch is a little big for the engine. It did kill a little of the low rpm response a little. Dual 2.5 is more ideal. Just makes it a little peakier feeling when it comes on at 4500 or so.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:51 PM
ls404fd
Instructor

Always a good day when you reach the goal you set out for!

The torque is lower than I expected, but damn it carries the power. It's tempting to run it out to 7 grand...

400whp and 379 ft lb with the stock cam. Runs and drives like stock. 100% street tuned for a couple months leading up to this. Really damn happy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qMd...ature=youtu.be

Name:  Ucbyzou.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  114.1 KB
Old 11-02-2014, 09:03 PM
ls404fd
Instructor

E85. Whoah. That is just what this car needed. It's a different animal!

I added a GM flex fuel sensor and bought a spare PCM. The Z06 computer is the same part number as the 02-03 Tahoe with a flex fuel OS. My car currently thinks its a 2002 suburban A couple odd bugs to work out, but the car runs perfect.

The computer reads the ethanol content of the fuel and adjusts accordingly in real time. There is a spark adder table for when you have sufficient ethanol it will add spark to the calibration. Fueling works as normal, but stoich is changing based on what the sensor reads.

The first mixture I did was 2-3 gallons of 91 and the rest E85. Turned into an E70 mixture which was perfect because I saw 99% duty cycle on one of my logs! After tweaking the tune I'm am 94-95%. I'll probably shoot for an e60-e65 mixture from now on.

Mid range and part throttle picked up a lot of torque. Very smooth and responsive. Absolute blast to drive! Actually I think that night was about the most fun I've had in the car.

I'm headed to SEMA next week (road trip in the vette!), but plan on working on the tune and dynoing again when I return. Probably will only see a few horsepower upstairs, but expect to see nice gains in bottom end torque. If my lack of traction is anything to go by it was very substantial...

Name:  8yR5KEL.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  752.1 KB

Last edited by ls404fd; 11-02-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 PM
ls404fd
Instructor

Had a great day at the track yesterday at Fontana. Rained all morning, but starting running around 12:30. Pouring rain again by 3pm. Got 4 runs in with a lot of futzing with the computer.

Ran a best of 12.43@116.75 with a 2.02 sixty foot. It was cold as hell out and my Continental DW tires are a bit outclassed now. I even did smoky burnouts on them for the first time ever trying to get some stick and they weren't having it.

There was a black c5z out there with drag radials that I saw go a 12.05 at 117.80 with a 1.75 sixty foot. Before leaving they rolled up and told me my car was running really great and asked what mods I had...told em stock cam with a head swap and c6z exhaust. Asked what they had in theirs...built 383 stroker with a cam. I think I pissed in their mess kit a little!

Feeling pretty good about the old shitbox these days. Its a pretty unique package and runs really hard, and does it very stealthily.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:20 PM
halokiller
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ls404fd
Had a great day at the track yesterday at Fontana. Rained all morning, but starting running around 12:30. Pouring rain again by 3pm. Got 4 runs in with a lot of futzing with the computer.

Ran a best of 12.43@116.75 with a 2.02 sixty foot. It was cold as hell out and my Continental DW tires are a bit outclassed now. I even did smoky burnouts on them for the first time ever trying to get some stick and they weren't having it.

There was a black c5z out there with drag radials that I saw go a 12.05 at 117.80 with a 1.75 sixty foot. Before leaving they rolled up and told me my car was running really great and asked what mods I had...told em stock cam with a head swap and c6z exhaust. Asked what they had in theirs...built 383 stroker with a cam. I think I pissed in their mess kit a little!

Feeling pretty good about the old shitbox these days. Its a pretty unique package and runs really hard, and does it very stealthily.
Hey, Im the driver of the black c5z, your car is definitely impressive! I ended up running a 11.93 at 118.55 w/ a 1.75 60' later but it was the first time I ever drag raced so there is room for improvement. It was cool to see another c5z there! Im curious to get my car on the dyno and see what it makes since I expected faster times haha

Quick Reply: [Z06] AFR 205's and C6Z exhaust