Sponsored by:

[Z06] 6'4 and Corbeau FX1 Pro seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Larzmat
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 6'4 and Corbeau FX1 Pro seats

Looking to install the Corbeau FX1 Pro seats in my C5Z, what I can't seem to find is what brackets people are using to get max headroom for helmet clearance, car is mainly road course and auto cross driven and the stock seats are terrible.

It doesn't need to be adjustable with a slider, just need either side rail brackets or a good solid low bracket that will work, it will need to have eyelet bolts for harness mounting.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:48 AM
imflyinbiya
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I am 6'3" with a pretty long torso. I just installed mine on the Corbeau factory sliders and brackets in my c5z without issue and fit well. For track days, I can see myself removing the bottom padding on the seat to give me another inch or so of helmet clearance.

If you ever find yourself in Orange County you are welcome to come by and try them out.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Larzmat
Pro

I figured if I would use the Corbeau bracket, which looks flimsy to me but maybe it's ok?

I would have the seat base shaved to gain a little more, seems like they offer that as an option at the time of order for the seats.

It would be cool to check out but seldom down in SoCal, do you have any pictures?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:18 PM
liquidforce917
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I custom made a side mount bracket for mine. And side mount will allow you to get fill adjustment of seat height. A lot of guys cut the rear bottom mounts off to gain extra clearance.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I was just looking into the options... I'm 6'6".

I just assumed the fx1 Pro would mount to these brackets to floor, but the width maybe off?
http://www.racing-seats-usa.com/corsidemount.html
Old 08-18-2014, 11:20 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Larzmat
Looking to install the Corbeau FX1 Pro seats in my C5Z, what I can't seem to find is what brackets people are using to get max headroom for helmet clearance, car is mainly road course and auto cross driven and the stock seats are terrible.

It doesn't need to be adjustable with a slider, just need either side rail brackets or a good solid low bracket that will work, it will need to have eyelet bolts for harness mounting.

Thanks!
Larzmat - I can't answer your question because I have a stock C5Z. But I was wondering if you did install the Corbeau FX1 Pro seats if I could ever take a look at them once they are installed (I live in Santa Cruz). I am curious to see them installed, since I have the opposite problem - the stock seats poke into my torso and back because I am short and wide.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:00 AM
HCtotheMAX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'5 and the Corbeau bracket with A4 seats work fine, I have about an inch maybe 3/4 inch head room.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Larzmat
Pro

Still working in this, Planted brackets and mounts is a no go. Now looking at the MTI or hardbar solution, still not clear if this will solve my problem or not..

http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...x.php?cPath=16
Old 09-22-2014, 11:57 PM
Larzmat
Pro

Originally Posted by Erik Zinn
Larzmat - I can't answer your question because I have a stock C5Z. But I was wondering if you did install the Corbeau FX1 Pro seats if I could ever take a look at them once they are installed (I live in Santa Cruz). I am curious to see them installed, since I have the opposite problem - the stock seats poke into my torso and back because I am short and wide.
Erik I have been busy with installing coilovers and some motor work but getting back in the seat situation, I am still trying to figure out what brackets to use to make it work. I will certainly have you take a look if I can get this figured out!

Last edited by Larzmat; 09-23-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:35 AM
Larzmat
Pro

Originally Posted by Joshboody
I was just looking into the options... I'm 6'6".

I just assumed the fx1 Pro would mount to these brackets to floor, but the width maybe off?
http://www.racing-seats-usa.com/corsidemount.html

The width is fine, problem is the length. At only 16 inches the seat is too far forward, I need at least 20+ inches to get the seat far enough back.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:36 AM
Larzmat
Pro

Originally Posted by HCtotheMAX
I'm 6'5 and the Corbeau bracket with A4 seats work fine, I have about an inch maybe 3/4 inch head room.
Do you have a picture of your setup?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:51 AM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Larzmat
Erik I have been busy with installing coilovers and some motor work but getting back in the seat situation, I am still trying to figure out what brackets to use to make it work. I will certainly have you take a look if I can get this figured out!
Ah, working on the fiscal black hole of mods I see . Hope you get the seats figured out so you stay put while taking advantage of your updated motor and suspension!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

The mounts from Marrad look pretty low.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3437512-cobra-imola-installed.html

There's a DIY using aluminum angles... very cost effective and simple. But only option I have found for raising the mounts off the non-flat floor are couplers on the seat studs which is prob >1/2". Marrad is using something lower profile to extend the stud... but seems it's custom hardware.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Larzmat
Pro

I ordered the Marrad bracket, Mark at Marrad was very helpful so I will update the situation when I receive the bracket. It should show up on Friday so will install on Saturday for the auto x on Sunday...
Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 PM
Larzmat
Pro

Some updates on this.

Installed the seat/seat bracket, took a lot of trail and error to find a position that was good for me. I ended up going as far back and as low as possible that the mounting allowed.

I have enough headroom it drive without a helmet, it's very close with a helmet on so I will be shaving down the seat cushions to see if that gains enough, or just simply take them out completely while at the track.

2 issues remain, harness mount on the outside bracket ( ordered some BK brackets to see if that will solve my problem) . The other is actually gaining access to tighten the rear nuts for the seat bracket, the seat is so far back that it sits over the studs, and so low that it touches the floor. I ended up cutting the studs down and am waiting for a 27mm crowfoot to see if I can tighten them up.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:42 PM
Larzmat
Pro

Also installed at the same time, BK harness bar, sparco steering wheel and quick release

Brey krause harness bar.

Sparco steering wheel w quick release

Quick release
Old 10-24-2014, 11:45 PM
Larzmat
Pro

And a vetteworks sub harness mount.

Vetteworks sub belt mount

Get notified of new replies

To 6'4 and Corbeau FX1 Pro seats

Old 10-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Can you explain the issue with the "harness mount on the outside bracket"? And the solution.

I take it the sub mount bracket is in front due to difficulty of tightening rear nuts. It's better to be in the rear right, if possible. How about 6-point with anti-subs on the side?

About how much headroom did you get over stock?

Thanks for the update!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Larzmat
Pro

Yes, the problem is that the harness eyebolt, will not clear the OEM seatbelt retractor cover so instead I am trying a different route with a flush style mounted brey krause bracket.

http://www.ogracing.com/brey-krause-...lap-belt-mount

That's correct on the sub, can't access the rear due to issue tighten the nuts, plus I have the BK harness bar support rods attaching the the right rear mount currently.

Gain over stock is about 1 inch or so.

Hope that makes sense, I have more pics coming later.

Originally Posted by Joshboody
Can you explain the issue with the "harness mount on the outside bracket"? And the solution.

I take it the sub mount bracket is in front due to difficulty of tightening rear nuts. It's better to be in the rear right, if possible. How about 6-point with anti-subs on the side?

About how much headroom did you get over stock?

Thanks for the update!
Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 PM
Larzmat
Pro

Here is the tool the made it possible to tighten the nuts. I also had to cut the bolts down to allow more clearance.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 6'4 and Corbeau FX1 Pro seats