Sponsored by:

[Z06] CEL codes P0171 and P0174

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 AM
JustinZO6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default CEL codes P0171 and P0174

I just finished installing a set of LG Pro Longtubes and did the zip tie mod "for now".

First day and a half car ran great no issues. Second day I ran to the gas station filled the car and started it and the these codes appeared.

I reset the DIC drove the car most of the day and parked it overnight. Then after 5 mins of driving today same codes reappeared.

Codes are lean codes in bank 1 and 2.

Any ideas?
Old 08-25-2014, 10:22 AM
JustinZO6
Racer

I will add this, I took the K&N out and cleaned it and applied the oil. I'm thinking maybe the oil got built up on the MAF sensor. Could it cause these codes?

Last edited by JustinZO6; 08-25-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:01 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Few things to check/Try:
* Clean MAF (might have got oil from filter)
* Check all intake pipe connections (leaks between the MAF and throttle body will cause lean codes)
* Check exhaust connections (leaks before the O2's will cause lean codes)
* Make sure you didnt swap the front and rear O2's to the wrong connectors on the main harness by the frame rails. (if you removed them from the harness), Common mistake is to flip flop them (fronts plugged to rear harness connector and vise versa)
* Add MAF screen or tune for new mods (Haltech MAF screen)

Alot of guys get lean codes from air intakes.. the MAF screen should clear it up if everything else is correct, the air is turbulent when it is incoming to the MAF without a screen, when you get more air coming in and the maf doesnt get a clean reading. the Haltech screen wont restrict the intake but it will make the car accelerate smoother, I also noticed it didnt surge off throttle in parking lots like it did before the MAF screen. I would also get a tune if its in the budget, it will make a noticeable difference in how the car drives and maximizes the power gains for the mods you installed.

Hope this helps,
S

Last edited by RedZMonte; 08-25-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:10 PM
JustinZO6
Racer

Originally Posted by RedZMonte
Few things to check/Try:
* Clean MAF (might have got oil from filter)
* Check all intake pipe connections (leaks between the MAF and throttle body will cause lean codes)
* Check exhaust connections (leaks before the O2's will cause lean codes)
* Make sure you didnt swap the front and rear O2's to the wrong connectors on the main harness by the frame rails. (if you removed them from the harness), Common mistake is to flip flop them (fronts plugged to rear harness connector and vise versa)
* Add MAF screen or tune for new mods (Haltech MAF screen)

Alot of guys get lean codes from air intakes.. the MAF screen should clear it up if everything else is correct, the air is turbulent when it is incoming to the MAF without a screen, when you get more air coming in and the maf doesnt get a clean reading. the Haltech screen wont restrict the intake but it will make the car accelerate smoother, I also noticed it didnt surge off throttle in parking lots like it did before the MAF screen. I would also get a tune if its in the budget, it will make a noticeable difference in how the car drives and maximizes the power gains for the mods you installed.

Hope this helps,
S
I will clean the MAF Sensor and re check everything, I will see about getting a tune asap! Thanks for the quick response.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:47 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

You need a tune....period. All the maf cleaning in the world won't help.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:05 AM
JustinZO6
Racer

I think I figured out my problem, I feel like an Idiot! Where the air bride connects to the MAF sensor and air filter was completely disconnected. So air was bypassing the filter and MAF sensor. Either way Im still getting a tune this weekend.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:34 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you will be surprised how often the air bridge connections are not installed correctly.. Honestly i think its a BAD design, should have some sort of silicone coupler connecting them to prevent leaks.. rather then plastic clamped over metal. BAD Design GM!

S

Get notified of new replies

To CEL codes P0171 and P0174

Quick Reply: [Z06] CEL codes P0171 and P0174