Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Exhaust stink inside the car. . . trunk leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 11:46 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Exhaust stink inside the car. . . trunk leaking?

It's always smelled inside the car after blipping the gas and decelerating in a low gear even with cats, I just got that stinky cat smell that drove me nuts. Now that I'm catless I get an untuned carb smell under the same conditions and it drives me nuts. I suspect I can just ramp in DFCO quicker in the tune to help with the stink under this particular condition, but the fact that there's any smell in the car at all is what I hope to fix. So do the FRCs all do this or is mine compromised somewhere? I noticed recently that the left cubby was moist near the floor which caught my attention. If it is the trunk, how can I check?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:24 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't have cats on my car and the only way I don't get the exhaust stink is if I drive with the windows up and the A/C on recirculate. If it's not on recirculate you still smell it.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I don't have cats on my car and the only way I don't get the exhaust stink is if I drive with the windows up and the A/C on recirculate. If it's not on recirculate you still smell it.
Same. Recirculate is a MUST
Old 08-26-2014, 12:25 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

On cars where I ran catless w/ LT's they always stunk even w/ a legit tune. Seemed to be worse in the summer, or maybe I just noticed it more. It was noticeable on my G8 GT and that is a significantly longer/larger/better insulated vehicle than the Z, so I can only imagine what its like on a Z - for the minor difference in power I'll go w/ hi-flo cats this time around.

Lastly, has anyone ever considered what effect breathing in those fumes may have on your health? It always kinda spooked me to be honest....
Old 08-26-2014, 01:10 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Let's not turn this into a catted vs. non discussion, I got these headers used and they were catless. My point was that I found it odd that exhaust of any kind made it into the car with the windows up. My truck isn't like that and it's a 98.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:31 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Let's not turn this into a catted vs. non discussion, I got these headers used and they were catless. My point was that I found it odd that exhaust of any kind made it into the car with the windows up. My truck isn't like that and it's a 98.
Yeah but the distance from exhaust exit to the front of the vehicle is much greater all around in a truck vs. the vette. I can smell my stock exhaust when its cold/first start sometimes even w/ windows up. A car - especially a vette - isn't a damn submarine. There's plenty of holes for exhaust stench to make its way into the cabin. When my AC wasn't working I could feel lots of heat/hot air coming into the cabin especially at a stop from underneath the car.

No cats = smell, windows up or down, unless you're recirculating air in the cabin you're going to get some outside air coming in, that air will carry the smell of your exhaust. It isn't surprising or alarming in the least bit.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Bummer. I didn't want to have to spend money on cats as an add on. I did notice though that my climate control likes to turn off recirculate all by itself.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:54 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

if your car is boosted as your user name suggests, you might want to consider leaving the cats off as they tend to get burned out in boosted applications from running rich... I am cammed with longtubes and no cats and there is a fuel smell but it isn't that bad inside the car in my opinion... maybe my nose isn't as sensitive as some but it doesn't bother me at all, the harsh smells are behind the car... maybe get under the car and see if you have any exhaust leaks at any of the connections but other than that I'm not sure there's much you can do, these types of things are to be expected when modding
Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

No telltale black powder under the car yet and no, this car isn't boosted, the user name refers to another car now long gone. I'm starting to wonder if my car cammed would have a different, less offensive to my nose stink. This is NOT my first catless vehicle, but its stink is quite unique.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust stink inside the car. . . trunk leaking?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Exhaust stink inside the car. . . trunk leaking?