Sponsored by:

[Z06] Vibration with monster stage 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:37 PM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SNL/MonsterClutchCo
We spoke with the shop and it ended up not being a clutch issue. Good information in this thread regardless.
Thank you for letting us know your product is not the culprit here...

Would you mind to enlighten us with what the issue is on this specific topic please?

Christian
Old 09-18-2014, 05:52 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JLayer
I believe this will end up being a pilot bearing. I know you said they replaced it but it can still be bad. I installed a clutch on mine, replaced everything, took it out to drive and had the same symptoms you're having. I took it all back out, had the clutch rebalanced thinking that was the problem and still had the same vibration. Took it all back apart again and when I pulled the pilot bearing back out, tons of ball bearings fell out.

I struggled the first time to get the clutch back in compared to my 2nd and 3rd time (slid in pretty easily). Even using an alignment tool, I had to force it a little on that first time which did the bearing in. You won't know until you pull it out though.
What's the alignment tool look like for putting the torque tube input shaft back in? I used the clutch alignment tool when putting the clutch back on, but I don't see what that has to do with the pilot bearing... I always heard the input shaft is what messed up the pilot bearing on install

Originally Posted by miami993c297

Would you mind to enlighten us with what the issue is on this specific topic please?

Christian
Old 09-18-2014, 06:12 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Christian
Originally Posted by rjwz28
What's the alignment tool look like for putting the torque tube input shaft back in? I used the clutch alignment tool when putting the clutch back on, but I don't see what that has to do with the pilot bearing... I always heard the input shaft is what messed up the pilot bearing on install

I was not given specifics, just a "the clutch wasn't the issue there, the car didn't have any abnormal vibrations when we got it here, just the average shakes/noises from an aggressive camshaft install". I'm not sure what exactly, if anything, was the issue.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:54 PM
JChastain
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually changed the shifter to a MTI Six shooter setup and wow I'm impressed. It relieved all the shifter vibration and reverb I was getting from the MGW. Totally different feeling now. Clutch appears to be ok. The Monster took some abuse at the half mile event in Clayton Ga this past weekend. Held up great!
Old 09-20-2014, 12:50 AM
dr_whigham
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JChastain
I actually changed the shifter to a MTI Six shooter setup and wow I'm impressed. It relieved all the shifter vibration and reverb I was getting from the MGW. Totally different feeling now. Clutch appears to be ok. The Monster took some abuse at the half mile event in Clayton Ga this past weekend. Held up great!
Glad to see the clutch "issue" got sorted out.

But I've gotta say, you literally have to be the first guy I've ever seen that got rid of an MGW shifter.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:48 AM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dr_whigham

But I've gotta say, you literally have to be the first guy I've ever seen that got rid of an MGW shifter.
Hi Doc,
Maybe the OP should make a public thread to MGW now about his shifter issue......

What I got from this thread is that the "MTI Six shooter setup" is "impressive"

Great clutch you are selling here Monster.
Christian
Old 09-20-2014, 06:23 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Interesting thread nontheless. Kinda makes me wonder about my new motor with my older stage 3 clutch from monster. Been great btw! I have had it now for 4 years. I dont really beat on my heavy though. Never saw the track. However with a 418ci going in soon, im VERY curious if things will go smooth.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:04 AM
thbwlZ
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZ06
Interesting thread nontheless. Kinda makes me wonder about my new motor with my older stage 3 clutch from monster. Been great btw! I have had it now for 4 years. I dont really beat on my heavy though. Never saw the track. However with a 418ci going in soon, im VERY curious if things will go smooth.
You should have no issues. Hand built engines are not applicable to this "hot balance" related matchbalancing. A hand built engine should be better balanced, much closer to zero, than a factory assembled engine. This whole thing comes down to manufacturing tolerances, stackups of those tolerances during assembly, and the fact that FACTORY engines (for manual vettes only) are final hot balanced to account for these stackups. An aftermarket hand built engine will require a zero balanced clutch. Monster delivers their clutches zero balanced, to within their own balance tolerances.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:32 PM
JChastain
Drifting

It wouldn't hurt to have a machine shop check the clutch assembly. Mine doesn't feel as smooth as it did with the factory ls6 clutch. Maybe that's expected with an aftermarket clutch. I don't know.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:34 PM
JChastain
Drifting

Too much feedback through the shifter for me. Very annoying. Check the classifieds there's several

Last edited by JChastain; 09-20-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:36 PM
JChastain
Drifting

Hi Doc,
Maybe the OP should make a public thread to MGW now about his shifter issue......

What I got from this thread is that the "MTI Six shooter setup" is "impressive"

Great clutch you are selling here Monster.
Christian
Maybe I should start a new thread about why not to shop at pep boys for C5 ground effects by look of your avatar
Old 09-20-2014, 03:46 PM
thbwlZ
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to have a machine shop check the clutch assembly. Mine doesn't feel as smooth as it did with the factory ls6 clutch. Maybe that's expected with an aftermarket clutch. I don't know.
I agree. It is relatively cheap to have a shop check it before it goes in, and balance it as further close to zero if possible. That is always a good step.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:15 PM
dr_whigham
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Too much feedback through the shifter for me. Very annoying. Check the classifieds there's several
I was just curious why. I have one as well, and also with the billet lower box. I noticed no difference myself. Didn't know if yours was an early version or one of the new ones. I have the C6 shaft and ****.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:54 PM
JChastain
Drifting

I was just curious why. I have one as well, and also with the billet lower box. I noticed no difference myself. Didn't know if yours was an early version or one of the new ones. I have the C6 shaft and ****.
I have the newer gold version but not the lower box. I was surprised with the result myself
Old 10-03-2014, 07:00 AM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Maybe I should start a new thread about why not to shop at pep boys for C5 ground effects by look of your avatar
If your allusion is about the front bumper on my Z06, your knowledge here is poor (again?)...

Back in 2002 I decided to equipped my car with the original StarCraft Tiger Shark Front bumper as GM introduced in the Detroit car show as an OEM evolution...they never completed.

Nothing fancy or not finished to the last ultimate detail on my cars JChastain.

Christian
Old 10-03-2014, 02:07 PM
JChastain
Drifting

If your allusion is about the front bumper on my Z06, your knowledge here is poor (again?)...

Back in 2002 I decided to equipped my car with the original StarCraft Tiger Shark Front bumper as GM introduced in the Detroit car show as an OEM evolution...they never completed.

Nothing fancy or not finished to the last ultimate detail on my cars JChastain.

Christian
It doesn't take knowledge to figure whether a front fascia looks out of place or clean if you will. Maybe the allusion is you thinking it looks good. But hey it's your car. Atleast it sounds like you have mechanical knowledge
Old 10-03-2014, 02:11 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

hmmm will have to talk to my shop about this one before everything goes together.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:40 PM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

It doesn't take knowledge to figure whether a front fascia looks out of place or clean if you will. Maybe the allusion is you thinking it looks good. But hey it's your car. Atleast it sounds like you have mechanical knowledge
Not that at all,
It is simply that this front end will not show in Pep Boys...way too expensive for their clientele ...

Mechanical knowledge, on that statement you are correct
Christian

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vibration with monster stage 2 questions