Sponsored by:

[Z06] Vibration with monster stage 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:31 PM
JChastain
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration with monster stage 2 questions

Just installed with new slave, master, pilot, and billet steel flywheel. I'm getting vibration through the gears and a lot through the shifter. Is this a common characteristic of this clutch. It's a single disc and was installed through a reputable shop. When put in neutral it stops the vibration. Will this cause an issue with anything internal in the motor until it's fixed? Thanks
Old 08-30-2014, 02:49 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

NO that is not normal.

By vibration do you mean chatter? as in when you take off from a stop it vibrates around (aka chatter's)?

On a personal note We love Monster Clutch co. They offer a extreamly high quality product at a great price point and back it with exceptional customer service.

OP can you be more descriptive.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:52 PM
JChastain
Drifting

I notice the vibration the most say rolling in 3rd or 4th 40- 60 mph. You can also feel it Ina neighborhood going slow. The car also vibrates on decel. If you push the clutch in the vibration goings away or if you just put the car in neutral that takes away the vibration also. The shifter vibrates a lot but it also smooths out when the clutch is pushed in or in neutral.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:11 PM
BigBirdLS1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering if the flywheel could be out of balance?
Old 08-30-2014, 04:46 PM
JChastain
Drifting

Supposedly they come balanced but I'm not sure
Old 08-30-2014, 07:01 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

They are balanced, but sometimes the FW needs to be balanced with the specific clutch.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:29 AM
thbwlZ
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
I'm wondering if the flywheel could be out of balance?
This does not sound like an imbalance issue. The OP says the vibrations stop when he is in neutral or the clutch pedal is depressed (disengaged). If it was balance related, the vibration would continue on in either of those instances.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:11 PM
JChastain
Drifting

Here's more specifics, sitting still, if you rev the car and stay under 2k rpms, it's smooth. Any revving at or above 2k the vibration begins ans never stops. While in gear, if your under 2k rpms it's smooth, above 2k vibration starts along with a bunch of shifter vibration
Old 09-03-2014, 03:19 PM
thbwlZ
Racer

Originally Posted by JChastain
Here's more specifics, sitting still, if you rev the car and stay under 2k rpms, it's smooth. Any revving at or above 2k the vibration begins ans never stops. While in gear, if your under 2k rpms it's smooth, above 2k vibration starts along with a bunch of shifter vibration
You could have any number of things going on. If you haven't taken it back to the shop that did your installation yet, you should.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:50 PM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Default You might be in trouble

Just installed with new slave, master, pilot, and billet steel flywheel. I'm getting vibration through the gears and a lot through the shifter. Is this a common characteristic of this clutch. It's a single disc and was installed through a reputable shop. When put in neutral it stops the vibration. Will this cause an issue with anything internal in the motor until it's fixed? Thanks
NOT APPLICABLE HERE as JChastain installed an LS2 Engine in his car...

Hi JChastain,

Please read the thread in the link below, the last one I documented with pictures from my PhotoBucket back in 2008, the answer to your engine issue is inside:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-balanced.html

Hope you kept your old clutch assembly.
Christian

Last edited by miami993c297; 09-05-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: updating
Old 09-03-2014, 05:05 PM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Hi JChastain agai,

You will find testimony of the resolution of a similar issue to yours by Bill Curlee in the thread below:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-flywheel.html

Good luck
Christian

Last edited by miami993c297; 09-05-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Updating
Old 09-03-2014, 09:03 PM
JChastain
Drifting

Thanks for the info Christian. My installer has communicated with monster and looks like a balance issue with the flywheel. So it also looks like monster is not standing behind their pre balanced product also. Will update if this situation changes.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:34 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the info Christian. My installer has communicated with monster and looks like a balance issue with the flywheel. So it also looks like monster is not standing behind their pre balanced product also. Will update if this situation changes.
Monster balances to zero. GM balance-matches these flywheel/pressure plate assemblies to the ENGINE. Monster has no way of knowing what your specific ENGINE balance is, so they provide an assembly balanced to ZERO. Monster has no responsibility for any problems regarding the relationship of the balance of your flywheel/PP to that of your engine.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:58 AM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Default 2001/2002 LS engines internally balanced...

Hi Everyone in this thread,

Some LS6 Engines from the end of 2001 to mid 2002 at least were externally balanced...
It was the engines that were assembled in the GM Canadian power plant if memory serves.
Those short-blocks are traceable with your VIN # as long as you still have the original engine coming with your car.
I had one of those!!!

My OEM Flywheel (saved carefully) in the picture below is showing ON THE EXTERNAL PERIMETER OF THE OEM FLYWHEEL the balancing from the GM factory with the Dowel Pins finally adding some extra weight.
I used it every time a new clutch went in for the MATCH BALANCING:

48 grams off balance is were is my OEM clutch assembly was.
The first time I had my GM OEM clutch replaced by with an assembly ZERO BALANCED the vibration was so bad between 2700rpm and 5200rpm that is was making the car barely drive able...

ALWAYS check if DOWEL PINS are present in your OEM Flywheel, consequently if your OEM flywheel is zero balanced or is off balance for external balancing purpose.

Quick, simple and efficient.

Christian

Last edited by miami993c297; 09-05-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Updating
Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 AM
thbwlZ
Racer

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Hi Everyone in this thread,

Some LS6 Engines from the end of 2001 to mid 2002 at least were externally balanced...
There are MANY more than just those years that are affected. ALL LS engines that were to be used in MANUAL transmission corvettes were taken through a final hot balance procedure, had FW AND PP installed and checked for total engine assembly balance, then added balance weights to the FW and/or front Damper as needed. This includes LS1/2/3/6/7/9 that were going to be used in MANUAL transmission vettes. Automatics were not affected. So the years go from 1997 to 20013. Any MANUAL vette in those years could have a FW with externally added balance weights in them from the factory.

It was the engines that were assembled in the GM Canadian power plant if memory serves.
Those short-blocks are traceable with your VIN # as long as you still have the original engine coming with your car.
I had one of those!!!

My OEM Flywheel (saved carefully) in the picture below is showing ON THE EXTERNAL PERIMETER OF THE OEM FLYWHEEL the balancing from the GM factory with the Dowel Pins finally adding some extra weight.
I used it every time a new clutch went in for the MATCH BALANCING:

48 grams off balance is were is my OEM clutch assembly was.
The first time I had my GM OEM clutch replaced by with an assembly ZERO BALANCED the vibration was so bad between 2700rpm and 5200rpm that is was making the car barely drive able...

ALWAYS check if DOWEL PINS are present in your OEM Flywheel, consequently if your OEM flywheel is zero balanced or is off balance for external balancing purpose.

Just a little distinction. Dowel pins in the FW protrude from the surface and are used for alignment only. Balance weights are installed in any of the 12 perimeter through holes on the FW, and are flush to below flush from the surface. The only way to tell if they are present is to try to "look through" the holes. Matching the FW only to original factory piece is only half the equation. GM installs both the FW AND the PP before hot balancing, so weights added to the FW are compensating for cumulative imbalances from all components; the internal engine, the FW, and the PP.

And finally, this hot balance was done for NVH purposes ONLY. The engines are fine AS ASSEMBLED. Manual transmission corvettes are more sensitive to slight imbalances and therefore GM balanced them down EVEN FURTHER to zero, past their normal balance tolerances, in order to minimize unwanted vibrations.

Quick, simple and efficient.

Christian
I'm curious as to how the shop determined this to be a balance issue. OP said that vibrations went away, or significantly decreased, when the clutch pedal was pushed in, or the car was in neutral. FW and PP are spinning in those cases, an imbalance in either would be felt then as well.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:17 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by thbwlZ
I'm curious as to how the shop determined this to be a balance issue. OP said that vibrations went away, or significantly decreased, when the clutch pedal was pushed in, or the car was in neutral. FW and PP are spinning in those cases, an imbalance in either would be felt then as well.
He said that it doesn't do out of gear except when revving above 2k, which could indicate a minor imbalance of the assembly that doesn't present itself until higher RPM
Old 09-04-2014, 11:15 AM
thbwlZ
Racer

Originally Posted by rjwz28
He said that it doesn't do out of gear except when revving above 2k, which could indicate a minor imbalance of the assembly that doesn't present itself until higher RPM
yep, agreed. But his first two posts conflict with his last description. If he has vibration with engine revving and clutch pedal pushed in, could very possibly be a balance issue. If he has vibration with pedal pushed in and then gets EVEN WORSE vibration just by letting out the pedal or putting in gear, then he could have even more mechanical issues with the rest of the driveline. Unfortunately, he could have a bit of both. Sounds like he's doing the right thing, has consulted with his shop, who in turn has consulted with Monster. Will be interesting to see the results. I also agree, the best that Monster can do is supply a FW and PP that are as close to zero balance as their tolerances allow. It is up to the consumer to understand the further needs of their specific application.

Just another simple, straightforward, routine clutch replacement for a manual corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Vibration with monster stage 2 questions

Old 09-04-2014, 11:25 AM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

As the owner of Monster I shot an email to the guys at LSXperts this morning on this issue, Charlie should be contacting you shortly.

We were told the engine was not the factory engine so the hot balance is out the window. That said, all our units do come balanced and it's not the flywheel that would be the issue but the pressure plate. FedEx can, from time to time, be rough with the units during shipping and balance issues, although few and far between, can happen. I told Charlie to pull the clutch, take it to a balance shop, and see what the status of the balance is. If it's out of spec I'll pay for the balance and the labor and I will get with FedEx on paying us back.

If you have further questions just contact me directly at Steve@MonsterClutches.com.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:27 AM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Monster balances to zero. GM balance-matches these flywheel/pressure plate assemblies to the ENGINE. Monster has no way of knowing what your specific ENGINE balance is, so they provide an assembly balanced to ZERO. Monster has no responsibility for any problems regarding the relationship of the balance of your flywheel/PP to that of your engine.
Although a VERY valid point I still like to help where/when I can.

Thanks for the technical data!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:37 AM
thbwlZ
Racer

Originally Posted by SNL/MonsterClutchCo
As the owner of Monster I shot an email to the guys at LSXperts this morning on this issue, Charlie should be contacting you shortly.

We were told the engine was not the factory engine so the hot balance is out the window. That said, all our units do come balanced and it's not the flywheel that would be the issue but the pressure plate. FedEx can, from time to time, be rough with the units during shipping and balance issues, although few and far between, can happen. I told Charlie to pull the clutch, take it to a balance shop, and see what the status of the balance is. If it's out of spec I'll pay for the balance and the labor and I will get with FedEx on paying us back.

If you have further questions just contact me directly at Steve@MonsterClutches.com.
There you have it. An important detail left out. Indeed, if it's not the factory engine, the hot balance/match balance is a mute point. If this is a hand built aftermarket engine, he would want a FW/PP combo that is as close to zero balanced as reasonably possible. And it sounds like Monster is standing behind their product by offering to replace if it is out of their balance tolerances.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vibration with monster stage 2 questions