Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Owners 18-30...WOULD YOU BE ALL OVER A C7 IF YOU COULD SWING IT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
I would venture to say a c6z destroys a c5z on the track.. which would make it more of a track beast?

The c5z just reminds me of a mid 90s mustang when I drive it around.

electronics don't work like they should. Interior is all black with no contrast. Tiny trunk, and a rear end and transmission that I'm always worried about breaking with decent power.

maybe I'm just spoiled having owned both a 5th Gen Camaro and c6z before I purchased and built my c5. But it isn't a great car in my opinion. Cheap maybe, reliable and fun maybe. But falls way short of a c6, which falls way shorter of a c7.

gm has done a good job of making them better more well rounded cars.. with little to no draw backs besides weight and cost.
90's mustang comparison lol, You were spoiled with a 5th gen camaro? lol, Those cars are turds and have horrible differentials that break just by farting in the car. Just thought your post was pretty amusing
Old 09-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
When I was 25, I got a c5z with an ls7 and also have a c6z with a bigger/better ls7

Anyone who says they would take the c5 over any of the newer ones is kinda foolish.

The c5 cars kinda suck.

They are dated and very unrefined, as well as uncomfortable.

It's very is to say you would pick it over anythjng else when it's the only one you have.

But if you had them both, or all 3, you sure as hell wouldn't be saying the same thing.

I would trade the c5 for a c7 in a heartbeat even if it was slower. But I think I would buy a newer truck before I added a 3rd Vette to my collection.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:27 AM
BstrdC4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

21 here... If I didn't have to worry about money, C7Z over my C5Z... but I'd rather have a C6ZR1.

Haven't driven or even rode in one, but hopefully that'll change soon.

The C5Z was the car I grew up loving, and now I have it.... now the others are my dream car. lol
Old 09-22-2014, 04:09 PM
ThumperNC24
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 26 now, almost 27.

Bought my 03 Z06 two weeks after I turned 24.

I love my C5Z, but if I could have a 2LZ Z51 C7 for the same price, I'd hand over the keys to the C5 without thinking twice.

The new C7 is so much nicer inside, faster (though not quite as fast as my car when stock) in a straight line, must faster on a track, and easier to drive fast.

All that said though, I could swing a C7 if I wanted to, but I don't have the desire to spend 60k on a car right now - I have other goals. If I did I probably wouldn't be getting a C7. I'd go with something else used (perhaps a C6ZR1 when they come down a little bit more or a 997 Turbo).

I'm happy with my C5Z, she's paid off, and she'll be staying in my garage a bit longer.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:25 PM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Yes and no. Love the looks and styling and interior. But im 6ft 4in and the C7 is even smaller inside than the C6 which is a problem for my long legs.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 AM
REVHARD
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm older...going on 35 but I'll add my $0.02 anyway. I could swing a C7 if I really wanted to but I'm just not a fan of the black plastic portion on the rear bumper. I think GM nailed the front minus the chrome strip in the lower grill. I think it puts up solid numbers at the track from a factory car.

That being said and reading some non sense in this thread. Guys that actually track their vettes will never deny how fast and reliable a C5z is. The car really only needs bars, race pads and a tire. They are the most tracked vette that has ever existed for multiple reasons. Light, fast and reliable. That's why when I go tracking 1/4 to 1/3 of the field are C5's.

My C5z will ALWAYS be in my stable as it is my track Wh0re and a car that makes me feel alive when driven. It is loud and raw.

The wife can own the C7.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:55 AM
wilkes02C5Z
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A C7. No.
A C7Z, yes but i would never get rid of my C5Z monster
Old 10-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Freshbake
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do like the C7...still just not a fan of the rear-end. It hasn't grown on me.
I'll take a C6Z over a C7 any day of the week.

Oh, and I'm 27 (if that matters).
Old 10-03-2014, 05:37 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Nope. I like it for what it is, but I'm not even necessarily a "vette guy" - I like American muscle, and regular C5's, C4s (puking in mouth), base C6's (particularly the oil hungry LS2's w/ the A4 and 2.72's), etc. aren't muscle cars. They're sports cars and/or grand tourers for old guys (no offense...but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...) The old 67, 62, the 90's ZR1, the C5 and C6 Z06, the C6's w/ Z51/grand sport & LS3 - these are more my style.

The new ones are awesome, but I'd prefer a more stripped down bare bones vehicle, and I don't like looking like everyone else on the road.

I could have afforded a C7 anyhow as it is, and considered buying one, instead I traded in my bolted G8 GT on a brand new fully loaded truck and picked up a barely-used C5 Z06 which was/is one of my all time favorite cars. Arguably the lightest modern vette made, the most "raw", the unique FRC body style, the rims, the Ti exhaust, the bare bones interior, the NOISE - I love ALL OF IT.

Other cars I considered when shopping for a "toy" - 03-04 cobra terminator, ZL1 camaro, CTS-v, 05-06 GTO's modded, G8 GXP, SRT8 challengers, M3's, and also some bikes like new ducati 1098 and used confederate bikes, or new Yamaha Vmax.

The C5 Z fit me the best, and as everyone points out - the bang for the buck factor is hard to ignore.

The only other cars that really interest me new right now would be the Challenger Hellcat/SRT8 w/ a manual tranny, used Viper, and used C6 Z06

When I weighed the cost of these vs. the C5 Z, and the horror stories of the valvetrain issues on the C6 Z, I made up my mind.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:09 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Not in the age group, but if I could justify the C7 expense, I would have one now.

I simply cannot justify 65K on a car of any kind.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:08 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
Not in the age group, but if I could justify the C7 expense, I would have one now.

I simply cannot justify 65K on a car of any kind.
I should have noted - I'm not in the age group either, 33, but close enough.

I want to comment here though, why can't you justify $65,000 on a vehicle? It is all perspective. By your reasoning, most people should be driving used bargain lot beaters in the $3,000 - $7,000 range.

Case in point - how many individuals do you know that make $100,000 and have a $30,000 car? I personally know lots, and know people in that salary range who purchase $40,000 cars, or $30,000 USED cars that originally cost $50,000 just to look the part - AND have a loan on them.

Safe to say their vehicles equate to 1/3 of their gross annual income.

Now, lets say you make $250,000/year - you may think its gaudy or excessive then to have a $65,000 vehicle right? Except that would equate to 1/4 your annual gross income...Then there's the common debate on this forum how overpriced porsche's are and why would you buy one when you could get a vette blah blah blah. Now I like vettes more than most lower end porsches, but my former boss has a 12 or 13 (can't remember) 911 4S cabriolet black edition. $120,000 car. His gross annual income (base) is $500,000 and he usually ends up just under or over a $1,000,000 after profit sharing etc.

He also has a cayenne S as a DD, so lets call it $200,000 in cars (but he paid for the 911 in cash and the Cayenne is a lease/work expense) - his excess on vehicles combined is only ONE FIFTH his gross annual income, and technically 1 of the 2 isn't even coming out of his pocket.

So who's the reckless/gaudy/excessive one - the dude making $100,000 driving a 3 series or the guy making a million w/ dual Porsche's in the garage?

All about perspective my friend.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:04 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
I should have noted - I'm not in the age group
All about perspective my friend.
I agree with that reasoning. For me, I cannot justify the price. Double my income (currently over 100K per year) and I would consider it. At my current income, I cannot justify it.

The truth is, it is all relative.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:22 PM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Nope. I like it for what it is, but I'm not even necessarily a "vette guy" - I like American muscle, and regular C5's, C4s (puking in mouth), base C6's (particularly the oil hungry LS2's w/ the A4 and 2.72's), etc. aren't muscle cars. They're sports cars and/or grand tourers for old guys (no offense...but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...) The old 67, 62, the 90's ZR1, the C5 and C6 Z06, the C6's w/ Z51/grand sport & LS3 - these are more my style.

The new ones are awesome, but I'd prefer a more stripped down bare bones vehicle, and I don't like looking like everyone else on the road.

I could have afforded a C7 anyhow as it is, and considered buying one, instead I traded in my bolted G8 GT on a brand new fully loaded truck and picked up a barely-used C5 Z06 which was/is one of my all time favorite cars. Arguably the lightest modern vette made, the most "raw", the unique FRC body style, the rims, the Ti exhaust, the bare bones interior, the NOISE - I love ALL OF IT.

Other cars I considered when shopping for a "toy" - 03-04 cobra terminator, ZL1 camaro, CTS-v, 05-06 GTO's modded, G8 GXP, SRT8 challengers, M3's, and also some bikes like new ducati 1098 and used confederate bikes, or new Yamaha Vmax.

The C5 Z fit me the best, and as everyone points out - the bang for the buck factor is hard to ignore.

The only other cars that really interest me new right now would be the Challenger Hellcat/SRT8 w/ a manual tranny, used Viper, and used C6 Z06

When I weighed the cost of these vs. the C5 Z, and the horror stories of the valvetrain issues on the C6 Z, I made up my mind.
You sound exactly like me. I feel like I wrote that. Agreed on everything.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:34 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Laser Guided
c7z yes

However, I currently would rather put my effort towards building a Factory Five GTM out of my c5z
In the end the C7Z would be the same price as the GTM by the time you were done, and would have better resale. I've had multiple GTM's....you aren't missing much.

Build an SL-C if you want something badass for 70g's.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:49 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,431 Likes on 858 Posts

I'm a out of the age range as well (37) but... base c5's, base c6's and now base c7's seem like comfy GT cars more than sports cars. The dam' owners biggest complaint (well, those that haven't had an engine puke ) is misaligned exhaust tips.

I could 'swing' a C7 pretty easily if I wanted, but it doesn't talk my language.

I ended up in a built FRC for the performance/$$. I respect the C7 but don't want it.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:11 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

The only car that will replace my C5Z is the C7Z...if I could do it now, I would.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:47 AM
chris crash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06

Hi
I may have asked before, but where did you re locate the battery to???
I'm assuming you put the oil tank is where the battery was.

Get notified of new replies

To Owners 18-30...WOULD YOU BE ALL OVER A C7 IF YOU COULD SWING IT?

Old 10-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Dave02C5
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

im 30.. base c7 no.. C7Z most definitely yes. but for the money I think I'd still rather a C6 ZR1.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:28 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chris crash
Hi
I may have asked before, but where did you re locate the battery to???
I'm assuming you put the oil tank is where the battery was.
I would imagine the trunk, as factory in the C6Z
Old 10-20-2014, 07:42 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Im 36... I sure wish i could afford one without selling my truck, tractor, and current vette.
Hopefully, in a couple years.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Owners 18-30...WOULD YOU BE ALL OVER A C7 IF YOU COULD SWING IT?