Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Few questions about a C5 Z06

Old 08-31-2014, 03:15 PM
Elijah1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions about a C5 Z06

Hello all. I have been a Corvette enthusiast since I was a little boy. In high school my best friend and I both lusted after the C5 Z06. Now that the college loans are paid off, I am planning on buying the car I dreamed about as a teenager.

My intentions for this car is to Autocross and road race it, and pleasure cruise with the wife (obviously drivability is a must). One of my goals Autocross wise is to beat my best friend's car. He is stupid good, and has the wheels and tires to destroy most anyone.

I understand the what I can do chassis/suspension wise. And what I can do brake wise.

My real concern is what kind of power can I add to my Z06 while still maintaining drivability, the stock block and keep it NA?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:23 AM
Blackkaz04
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 09-01-2014, 02:39 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Elijah1
Hello all. I have been a Corvette enthusiast since I was a little boy. In high school my best friend and I both lusted after the C5 Z06. Now that the college loans are paid off, I am planning on buying the car I dreamed about as a teenager.

My intentions for this car is to Autocross and road race it, and pleasure cruise with the wife (obviously drivability is a must). One of my goals Autocross wise is to beat my best friend's car. He is stupid good, and has the wheels and tires to destroy most anyone.

I understand the what I can do chassis/suspension wise. And what I can do brake wise.

My real concern is what kind of power can I add to my Z06 while still maintaining drivability, the stock block and keep it NA?
Be careful. mods are addictive.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...es-shocks.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-headers.html

Then it's on to cam, headers, springs...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html
Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Elijah1
2nd Gear

^^^^^^

I figured mods of all types are addictive. I've seen my buddy start off with a fairly mildly modified vehicle, and the next thing you know we are both looking around junk yards half a state away for parts. I figured that is probably what is going to happen to me. That is one of the secondary reasons I am sticking with the C5 platform. I can afford to modify a $25k Corvette but not a $35k C6.

Now here's the real problem, Lingenfelter is a 20 minute drive from my house. I am probably screwed from the git-go.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:04 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

1st just drive the z for awhile,maybe 6months and really get use to and enjoy it..maybe some track days or a basic driving school..I've had 3 c5zs over the years and really love the car . I have also had several c6's and c6z....my advise,don't dump a lot of mod money into the car until you are really sure...some others can chime in who have gone down that "money mod pit road"....
Good luck on finding that z ya want...enjoy the ride.....
04 ,halltech and tune..

Bud

Last edited by bud miller; 09-01-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:48 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by bud miller
1st just drive the z for awhile,maybe 6months and really get use to and enjoy it..maybe some track days or a basic driving school..I've had 3 c5zs over the years and really love the car . I have also had several c6's and c6z....my advise,don't dump a lot of mod money into the car until you are really sure...some others can chime in who have gone down that "money mod pit road"....
Good luck on finding that z ya want...enjoy the ride.....
04 ,halltech and tune..

Bud
I agree with this. Don't mod until you are better than the car, that is, the car is holding you back.......then ONE mod at a time
Old 09-01-2014, 06:22 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Until you've driven something with 400+ HP and under 3100lbs for awhile, you wont be needing any mods.....
Old 09-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Blackkaz04
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Now here's the thing, if you start with a 27k investment, throw in 10k worth if mods, you are going to be mighty close to the price of a c6Z.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:10 PM
CGGS
Pro

Originally Posted by Blackkaz04
Now here's the thing, if you start with a 27k investment, throw in 10k worth if mods, you are going to be mighty close to the price of a c6Z.
BUT to add to this...

THEN you have to worry about head issues on the LS7

The LS6 is a much more stable platform
Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah man good for you! SO fortunate to be close to Lingenfelter!
I say, keep chill and keep it stock till you get lots of seat time on the track. Plan your mods in the meantime then execute. It's easy to blow money and make incorrect moves when you're excited! Have fun playa!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:06 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 711 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
Ah man good for you! SO fortunate to be close to Lingenfelter!
I say, keep chill and keep it stock till you get lots of seat time on the track. Plan your mods in the meantime then execute. It's easy to blow money and make incorrect moves when you're excited! Have fun playa!
been there, done that ! Take your time !!
Old 09-19-2014, 12:12 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

buy one already done. you can buy a forged engine, coilovered, reinforced driveline, nice wheels, hot rod for 30k turn key. there are guys who have sunk 30-40-50k in one of these and want to sell it

friend of mine paid....30k if i remember right for a 60k mile twin turbo 2002 z06 with over 40 grand in mod parts. runs 9s reliably and everything is done with ultra high end parts with very very few passes and miles on the parts.

that's basically 25 cents on the dollar for mods

Last edited by racebum; 09-19-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:40 PM
Drewster67
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Immediate mods

Cold Air Intake
Headers
Race X pipe
Great brake fluid for brakes and clutch (Motul 600)
Lower the car using the stock lowering bolts
Great track pads
Oil cooler

Then - seat time - more seat time. then mods.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

To start keep your factory calipers and get some good brake fluid and than pads than driver mod IE seat time. Power mods are not going to give advantage at Auto X HPDE maybe depends on the driver unless where talking full H/C or S/C. I would look at the Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear for pads, this is a proven set up for Auto X and HPDE on street tires.

Carbotech™ XP10™ F: $201

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP8™ R: $158

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

MOTUL RBF600 The world's best selling brake fluid. Developed for all forms and levels of racing, the RBF600 is one of the most popular fluid's on the market today. Dry: 312°C (594°F)
Wet: 216°C (421°F) 16.9oz/ .53 quarts
.50 Liter/ 500ml $22.50

I have everything you need, if interested let me know.

Pre bed add $40
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 09-19-2014, 04:17 PM
amlarson2001
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What kind of car does your friend have? If he also has a corvette and you really want to destroy him at the auto x get a miata with good wheels and tires. Big boy track you would need the z. Then the best mod is seat time. Good luck
Old 09-19-2014, 04:21 PM
jamesdak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by amlarson2001
What kind of car does your friend have? If he also has a corvette and you really want to destroy him at the auto x get a miata with good wheels and tires. Big boy track you would need the z. Then the best mod is seat time. Good luck
True that, the Miata rocks!! Doh, wait.... I'm selling my Miata and keeping the Z06?!
Old 09-19-2014, 04:49 PM
MinnesotaMoose
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get some bolt on modifications such as,

American Racing Long tube headers.
Cam (maybe compcams or some sort)
Trickflow heads, or LS3 that have been CNC'd with aftermarket valve springs
Xpipe with or w/out high flow cats
Corsa extreme 4in quad exhaust
Fast 102mm Air manifold
100mm-102mm throttle body
Vararam Air intake.. or Callaway Honker I also heard gives good gains.
Some flywheel and tranny stuff if you still have money..I want to do acouple of these bolt ons next year if i have any money.

Last edited by MinnesotaMoose; 09-19-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added some more info

Get notified of new replies

To Few questions about a C5 Z06

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Few questions about a C5 Z06