Sponsored by:

[Z06] Bought a Carravaggio spoiler huge disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 07:15 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Wickd1

Say what they want, it flows with the lines,,mine fits great, Sorry yours didnt, Have you checked into the ACI spoiler?
I'm not the op, mine is the blue vert, it fit perfect
Old 09-20-2015, 08:52 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

yea not a fan of the spoiler and really not a fan of the price tag for something that just sticks on with tape and looks awful on the car.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by zdeckich
yea not a fan of the spoiler and really not a fan of the price tag for something that just sticks on with tape and looks awful on the car.
Doesn't sound like price is the problem with the description of "awful"
But as far as what holds it on, I don't get that? The fit is so good on mine you would have a very hard time pulling it off. Which bye the way is what the thread was about (the fit)... .I don't like a lot of the Black rims on c5's but some of them look good, like yours.

Air pressure and friction is what keeps your tires on the rims, how flimsy is that!

Last edited by Forcedvert; 11-21-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:52 PM
R1 Rider
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
I don't think a C5 benefits from any of the aftermarket spoilers. The lines of the car make all of them look just like what they are; something stuck onto your trunk, like a foreign object.

I know I should don my flame suit, but I think the rear of these cars look just fine as is, sans rear spoiler. And I don't feel that way about most other cars........

Shakey
I agree
Old 09-25-2015, 01:57 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
Thanks. I did not like them at first either, but the more I saw this one the more I thought it looked good on the FRC and verts. Then I read somewhere it was designed by one of the architects of the c5 ....not sure if that is true? Anyway I think it adds to car myself, it may have been viewed different if GM offered a spoiler on the c5, but who knows. But I hear everyone. To them it's like adding a spoiler to Chevelle
True. The Caravaggio spoiler, rear, front and side skirts (replicated by several manufacturers) were all designed by John Cafaro, the designer of the C5, originally for his side business named Skunkwerkes, along with another GM employee, Henry Iovino. They built a few customized C5's when the cars first came out. At some point there was a possibility the parts would be GM products. When that didn't happen, Cafaro sold the molds to his friend, John Caravaggio. And that's how they became aftermarket parts. Occasionally a picture of one of their cars will show up of a black C5 'vert with a chopped folding top. It's pretty wild making a C5 look much lower.

I have all those parts on my Z06. They all fit perfectly and I can attest to the fact that over 130 they do contribute to stability, checked before and after installation. Only being held on with tape the spoliers will stay on with no problems over 160+. I suggest the OP contact the manufacturer for assistance. I've spoken with him and he seemed like a decent guy to do business with.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:05 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
True. The Caravaggio spoiler, rear, front and side skirts (replicated by several manufacturers) were all designed by John Cafaro, the designer of the C5, originally for his side business named Skunkwerkes, along with another GM employee, Henry Iovino. They built a few customized C5's when the cars first came out. At some point there was a possibility the parts would be GM products. When that didn't happen, Cafaro sold the molds to his friend, John Caravaggio. And that's how they became aftermarket parts. Occasionally a picture of one of their cars will show up of a black C5 'vert with a chopped folding top. It's pretty wild making a C5 look much lower.

I have all those parts on my Z06. They all fit perfectly and I can attest to the fact that over 130 they do contribute to stability, checked before and after installation. Only being held on with tape the spoliers will stay on with no problems over 160+. I suggest the OP contact the manufacturer for assistance. I've spoken with him and he seemed like a decent guy to do business with.
I will make a comment about parts going on with 3M tape. Don't worry about them coming off, IF.........

you prep it right.

Preparation of the area is key here. I found this out with a spoiler on a BMW. It took two trys, but I got it right the second time. You must clean the area throughly, and I mean thoroughly. Then go over it again with isopropyl alcohol. For best results it should be installed when temps are over 65 degrees. And even then, heating the area with a hair dryer helps.

I know this is all information that most of you already know, but it might help someone. Once done properly, you and your strongest friend would have a tough time ripping it off. I don't think wind resistance stands a chance.

Shakey
Old 09-25-2015, 11:15 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Poifect...

frank

Quick Reply: [Z06] Bought a Carravaggio spoiler huge disappointment