Sponsored by:

[Z06] New Owner 02 Z06 with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Mr 74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Owner 02 Z06 with Questions

Several weeks ago I purchased a Torch Red 02 Z06 with 28.5K miles. It is stock, and I am supposedly the third owner.
1. Regarding replacement of the valve springs-is it true the spark plug wires are red from the factory?
2. Mine are black and I am wondering if this might mean the valve springs have been replaced along with the spark plug wires at the same time. Why else would someone replace spark plug wires with that low of mileage? Any thoughts here?
3. I am trying to locate the original owner. Isn't there a service that provides the original window sticker and the dealership it was sold from? Can someone provide that information to me?
4. Not sure how old the fluids are and will replace them. Is there a tool or litmus type test that I can place in contact with the brake fluid and clutch fluid to tell if it is broken down or not? Can someone provide that information to me?
5. What is the typical Oil temperature when driving under normal road conditions? Mine settled at 207F.
6. What is the typical coolant temperature when driving under normal road conditions? It seemed to peak when idling like around 220F and then drop down to 180-190F when driving.
5. when I bought the car I checked that the black trim around the doors were good and not cracked. After going for a ride today, I noticed the passenger side was cracked. Does anyone have any information on how to replace it?

Its not just a Corvette-it's a Z06!

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-13-2014, 09:44 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr 74
Several weeks ago I purchased a Torch Red 02 Z06 with 28.5K miles. It is stock, and I am supposedly the third owner.
1. Regarding replacement of the valve springs-is it true the spark plug wires are red from the factory?
2. Mine are black and I am wondering if this might mean the valve springs have been replaced along with the spark plug wires at the same time. Why else would someone replace spark plug wires with that low of mileage? Any thoughts here?
3. I am trying to locate the original owner. Isn't there a service that provides the original window sticker and the dealership it was sold from? Can someone provide that information to me?
4. Not sure how old the fluids are and will replace them. Is there a tool or litmus type test that I can place in contact with the brake fluid and clutch fluid to tell if it is broken down or not? Can someone provide that information to me?
5. What is the typical Oil temperature when driving under normal road conditions? Mine settled at 207F.
6. What is the typical coolant temperature when driving under normal road conditions? It seemed to peak when idling like around 220F and then drop down to 180-190F when driving.
5. when I bought the car I checked that the black trim around the doors were good and not cracked. After going for a ride today, I noticed the passenger side was cracked. Does anyone have any information on how to replace it?

Thanks

Dave
1. no, factory wires were all black
2. take off one of your valve covers. the yellow springs were the most prone to fail. other colors have been used as well such as bare metal with an orange dot. any color BESIDES blue is suspect for OE springs
3. no idea
4. yes there is but at this age i can already tell you it will fail. clutch fluid should be changed every 3000-5000 miles or yearly. brake fluid should be changed every other year. these cars are extremely picky about crud in the clutch fluid. pedal on the floor and weird shifting tend to come on with any sort of dirty fluid.
5. 6. and 5 again, all normal, the black trim is crack prone on all of these cars. as long as it isn't leaking it's just part of the c5z

many of us do what's called the ranger method every 500-1000 miles to maintain our clutch. it's quick and easy and helps keep the grime out. as for the brakes, this is a very easy car to bleed with a vacula
Old 09-14-2014, 12:49 AM
Freshbake
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
2. take off one of your valve covers. the yellow springs were the most prone to fail. other colors have been used as well such as bare metal with an orange dot. any color BESIDES blue is suspect for OE springs
3. no idea
4. yes there is but at this age i can already tell you it will fail. clutch fluid should be changed every 3000-5000 miles or yearly. brake fluid should be changed every other year. these cars are extremely picky about crud in the clutch fluid. pedal on the floor and weird shifting tend to come on with any sort of dirty fluid.
5. 6. and 5 again, all normal, the black trim is crack prone on all of these cars. as long as it isn't leaking it's just part of the c5z

many of us do what's called the ranger method every 500-1000 miles to maintain our clutch. it's quick and easy and helps keep the grime out. as for the brakes, this is a very easy car to bleed with a vacula
Yep...all correct.

To follow up on #2 - you can actually see what color your springs are by simply looking down the oil fill cap. You'll definitely be able to tell if they are yellow or not.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:04 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

If you go to any main forum page (general discussion, zo6, etc...) click on "search this forum" and you can find most of your answers there.
As for #6:

Old 09-14-2014, 04:22 AM
moe24
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

Thanks

Dave
#5 and #6 is about right, well thats the temperature for mines as well
Old 09-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Mr 74
Advanced

Thanks for the response guys!

I have viewed the video that Ranger posted regarding clutch dust. I have not experienced any noticeable problems with the clutch but the fluid is dark! I will take care of that right away.

As far as the color of the valve springs-my eyes aren't the greatest so it is difficult to determine, but if I did see a portion of the valve spring I would say that it is yellow. I will proceed with my plan to have them replaced.

I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.

Dave
Old 09-15-2014, 02:31 PM
lane_viper
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Depending on your mechanic skills the valve spring replacement job is not very difficult depending on if you have the right tools.

There are lots of DIY on here.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 AM
Mr 74
Advanced

I have never done a valve spring replacement before. I did find a post that had some detailed pics from Z06 Blubyu. I like taking on challenges but I would feel a lot more comfortable if I had someone looking over my shoulder.

I have been trying to find a shop that is both reputable and cost effective. Everyone that I have talked to wants to charge ~7 hours of labor. I don't think that is honest.

Anyone know of any shops in the southwest suburbs of Chicagoland?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:01 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

7 hours is way too much. At the most you should be charged 4 hours if they also change the valve seals, spark plugs and wires.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Jims Z06
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

I have never done a valve spring replacement before. I did find a post that had some detailed pics from Z06 Blubyu. I like taking on challenges but I would feel a lot more comfortable if I had someone looking over my shoulder.

I have been trying to find a shop that is both reputable and cost effective. Everyone that I have talked to wants to charge ~7 hours of labor. I don't think that is honest.

Anyone know of any shops in the southwest suburbs of Chicagoland?
Checkout Speed,Inc. in Schaumburg
Old 09-16-2014, 05:23 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
7 hours is way too much. At the most you should be charged 4 hours if they also change the valve seals, spark plugs and wires.
honestly, all of that adds at most 5 minutes to the job. the valve seals literally slip on in roughly 10-15 seconds each and the plugs and wires have to be removed to do the springs

a very good guy can do the job in 2hrs

4 is excessive and 7 is ridiculous
Old 09-17-2014, 12:02 AM
Mr 74
Advanced

I got a quote today for 3 hours of labor that included installation of valve springs, seals, plugs and wires.

Now my question is should I use OEM parts or aftermarket?

Dave
Old 09-17-2014, 12:46 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

honestly, all of that adds at most 5 minutes to the job. the valve seals literally slip on in roughly 10-15 seconds each and the plugs and wires have to be removed to do the springs

a very good guy can do the job in 2hrs

4 is excessive and 7 is ridiculous
It all depends how much they charge you.

Last edited by laurent_zo6; 09-17-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 AM
lane_viper
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

I got a quote today for 3 hours of labor that included installation of valve springs, seals, plugs and wires.

Now my question is should I use OEM parts or aftermarket?

Dave
It all depends on if you plan on Modding it.

I went with GM plug wires and OEM Plugs and springs. Total cost was around $120 if I remember correctly. Bought them all from summit racing.

If mods are the future you will def want to go with better springs, possibly even dual springs. If you plan on keeping it stock, the OEM parts will do just fine.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:54 PM
racebum
Race Director

pretty much

you need to honestly answer if you plan on camming the car or not

springs are about 65 for oem, aftermarket 200-250
seals 40
wires 40-100 depending on what you get
Old 09-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Mr 74
Advanced

What is the difference and advantage of going with PAC1218 springs over the OEM replacement?

Do you get more lift with the 1218s?

Will it do much for me if I don't change anything else?

I guess I can always change them later if I am going to go deeper into the upgrades.

Comments welcome.

Dave
Old 09-18-2014, 07:41 AM
bada
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

3. no idea

I have just purchased a 2004 ZO6 as well. And have heard about the clutch issues. Could you or someone please explain what the ranger method is? And what is a vacula, and where can you get one. Is there a topic on here that shows this, or talks about this? Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To New Owner 02 Z06 with Questions

Old 09-18-2014, 02:53 PM
racebum
Race Director

What is the difference and advantage of going with PAC1218 springs over the OEM replacement?

Do you get more lift with the 1218s?

Will it do much for me if I don't change anything else?

I guess I can always change them later if I am going to go deeper into the upgrades.

Comments welcome.

Dave
there is no advantage to the 1218 with a stock cam. the new springs gm sells have an excellent reliability record.

the 1218 can handle more lift and if you plan on a hotter cam down the road, guys sometimes just install them. personally i don't really get this as i would always pull the heads and spend a few hours porting them before i installed a cam. if i'm porting heads the springs and valves get removed.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:55 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by bada
I have just purchased a 2004 ZO6 as well. And have heard about the clutch issues. Could you or someone please explain what the ranger method is? And what is a vacula, and where can you get one. Is there a topic on here that shows this, or talks about this? Thanks.
a vacula is slang for a vacuum bleeder, i think at some point in time they actually made one called a vacula

the ranger method is simply sucking all the old fluid out of the clutch reservoir, wiping out any grime with a paper towel. adding new fluid, pumping the clutch about 50-70 times, remove fluid, wipe, add new, then drive 500 miles, repeat, then maintain by doing it every 1000 miles or so.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:55 PM
bada
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

a vacula is slang for a vacuum bleeder, i think at some point in time they actually made one called a vacula

the ranger method is simply sucking all the old fluid out of the clutch reservoir, wiping out any grime with a paper towel. adding new fluid, pumping the clutch about 50-70 times, remove fluid, wipe, add new, then drive 500 miles, repeat, then maintain by doing it every 1000 miles or so.
Thank you. Mine has just roller over 30,000 miles. So I need to look at the fluid. What brand & kind of fluid do I use. And sorry not trying to high jack the thread, just like to original OP. Interested in good info.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Owner 02 Z06 with Questions