[Z06] Purolator vs Fram Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:58 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Purolator vs Fram Air Filters

Hi all,

I just picked up my 2002 Z06 and decided to change the air filter out. As far as paper filters go, a lot of people on LS1tech seems to prefer the Fram filter (CA3914) to other brands, so I decided to get 1 of those and to check out the Purolator filter (A34852) as well. What I noticed is that although the Fram has more pleats and thus more surface area than the Purolator (110 pleats vs 92 if I remember correctly), the Fram really appears to be much worse quality. There was a large amount of excess gasket material spilling out into the filter element of the Fram and the gasket itself looked inferior. I even found a loose string of gasket material laying on top of the CLEAN side of the Fram's filter! Then I saw that the Fram was made in Mexico and the Purolator was made in the USA, and it all made sense. Needless to say, I ended up going with the Purolator for my car. Anyway, I'm sure they would both work fine and no one cares too much about paper filters since most people put K&Ns and the like on, but just thought I'd share.

Pics of Fram:

Look at all that extra gasket material!

Pics of Purolator:

Murica!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:34 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly paper filters suck. Most owners on here are going to have some kind of CAI or at least a K&N high flow panel filter. The stock air boxes are so restrictive it's hard to believe this 5.7 liter engine can breath at all!
Old 09-16-2014, 12:29 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
Honestly paper filters suck. Most owners on here are going to have some kind of CAI or at least a K&N high flow panel filter. The stock air boxes are so restrictive it's hard to believe this 5.7 liter engine can breath at all!
I don't want this to turn into an air filter debate, but considering the car's use as a bone stock daily driver/autox car, I'm more comfortable giving up 5 hp for better filtration. To each their own.

Get notified of new replies

To Purolator vs Fram Air Filters

Quick Reply: [Z06] Purolator vs Fram Air Filters