Sponsored by:

[Z06] Dreaded yellow springs..

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 10:48 AM
BstrdC4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreaded yellow springs..

No, I did not have a failure. But opening checking for the springs.. well.. I got them. All 8 on one side are yellow, have not checked driver's side for replacement springs.

But.. what's a part number for the valve guide seals and such?

I'm just going to use the blue OEM replacement springs.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:08 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by BstrdC4
No, I did not have a failure. But opening checking for the springs.. well.. I got them. All 8 on one side are yellow, have not checked driver's side for replacement springs.

But.. what's a part number for the valve guide seals and such?

I'm just going to use the blue OEM replacement springs.

Just replaced mine on my '02 Z so here you go:

Springs - 12499224
Intake valve seals - 12482063
Exhaust valve seals - 12482062
Valve cover gaskets - 12637683

Might be a good idea also to change spark plugs and wires at the same time.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:00 AM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6

Springs - 12499224

If you use the compressed air method to hold the valves up it's almost a must to change out your wires, I wrecked half my original wires getting them off, and then new why not throw on new plugs while your in there. I used the new GM blue springs as well.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:38 PM
4drturbo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PRetty easy job to replace the valve springs and seals? Is there a how-to? Those part numbers listed are for the good ones that have no failure rates? GM part numbers?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2014, 05:30 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
PRetty easy job to replace the valve springs and seals? Is there a how-to? Those part numbers listed are for the good ones that have no failure rates? GM part numbers?

Thanks
GM only makes one spring, used on the ls2-ls3 also, failure rate is practically non existent. like anything, there will always be a few that fail, but, i haven't heard of any on the forum or in real life
Old 10-04-2014, 10:31 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-springs.html
Old 10-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Fast Lane
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

I changed mine this summer with compressed air. Also changed the seals, plugs and wires.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:46 AM
Daddie O
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I called 4 separate GM dealership service departments, and two indy Corvette shops. None had heard of any valve spring failures. I think valve spring failure is overblown.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:26 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Daddie O
I called 4 separate GM dealership service departments, and two indy Corvette shops. None had heard of any valve spring failures. I think valve spring failure is overblown.
What did you expect them to say? Same when you call them and ask them about the steering wheel lock. They will all tell you this was repaired in a service recall. Tell that to all the C5 owners who got stranded after the recall was done and had to put in an LMC5 or CLB.

I would urge you to read the sticky below if you have not done so already. I have a 2002 Z and replaced my valve springs for peace of mind.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-failures.html
Old 10-08-2014, 04:12 AM
Blackkaz04
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

What did you expect them to say? Same when you call them and ask them about the steering wheel lock. They will all tell you this was repaired in a service recall. Tell that to all the C5 owners who got stranded after the recall was done and had to put in an LMC5 or CLB.

I would urge you to read the sticky below if you have not done so already. I have a 2002 Z and replaced my valve springs for peace of mind.

I'd love a serious poll of how many '02/'03 C5Z owners have swapped out the yellow springs for blue springs or aftermarket as a protective measure. If I knew how to start a poll in a new thread, I would. I will say reading the sticky makes me think about swapping it but I have talked to almost a dozen of LS engine shops and none of them have ever heard of a c5Z brought in because the valve springs collapsed. Why break open my stock, never molested engine......
Old 10-08-2014, 04:30 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Blackkaz04
I'd love a serious poll of how many '02/'03 C5Z owners have swapped out the yellow springs for blue springs or aftermarket as a protective measure. If I knew how to start a poll in a new thread, I would. I will say reading the sticky makes me think about swapping it but I have talked to almost a dozen of LS engine shops and none of them have ever heard of a c5Z brought in because the valve springs collapsed. Why break open my stock, never molested engine......
It would be an interesting poll.
If you want to find out how to start one, just click on the FAQ link above in the red ribbon at the top of the page then enter "poll" in the search word box.

Last edited by laurent_zo6; 10-08-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:32 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddie O
If you've been around here for any length of time you would think otherwise. Read the sticking in this forum. Luckily my 2003 does not have the yellow springs (late 2003). If it did have the yellow springs I would swap them out immediately.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:09 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Read the sticky topic, it was enough convincing for me. Yes, its about 2% reported failure rate, reported. $500 piece of mind vs a $7k crate motor.

Oh, and ask yourself why there are no more LS6 crate motors.........
Old 10-08-2014, 07:24 AM
MYZ061080
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for sharing the info
Old 10-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Daddie O
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I would expect them to say, "Yeah I've seen a few", or "I've heard of it happening once." Or "Sure, bring it in and give me your money and I'll do the work", not "I haven't ever seen or heard of it, don't waste your money" and "don't be scared by some chicken littles on the internet" and, "well out of all the cars made I'm sure it must've happened to someone before, but in 12 years of running this service department I haven't seen one Corvette come in for valve spring failure."

I had read the sticky before I purchased my Corvette, and that is what made me call all around to enquire about it. On the off chance that all the service managers I talked to were imbeciles or dishonest, I called independent shops as well, and that is where I got the chicken little quote. Conversely, all had heard about the column lock issue, and either offered the recall or thought LCM5 was a good idea.

My 2002 Z06 was built in November 2001 btw. I have installed the LCM5, the CAGS Skip Shift Eliminator, and Fangs.

Last edited by Daddie O; 10-08-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:02 PM
CGGS
Pro

I'm not siding in either direction, I'm just giving another view...

I asked the corvette shop I take my cars to and who has over 15 years experience about the issue. His comment was this... I have never seen a spring failure on a stock car used as a street car. The only time he has seen the issue was on cars with drag radials that are always bumping against the redline or tunes that increase the rev limiter.

GM designed the car with a specific RPM cut-off for a reason. And we all should know that GM builds their cars with only a slight buffer.

The C7 was built properly, but the C5 ,while a great performing car, was build still on a budget. That is why the stock clutch and brake rotors car just barely handle the car stock with just a tiny buffer.

I have had 3 C5 Z06s 01', 03, 04 and none had any spring issues, granted I didn't keep any of them over 30k mileage.

I didn't buy into the Internet hype with regards to the head/valve issues on the LS7 and a few years ago I purchased an 09' C6 Z06 with 7k miles and it ended up blowing the exhaust valve before I had 10k miles on it.

Do I think the spring issue is as big of an issue as the valve issue on the LS7, no I don't think so, but I think I will do the spring change on my upcoming 02' Z06 with 8,800 miles on it because it really is cheap insurance.

Am I going to do it right away as soon as I get the car, probably not, but it is something I plan on doing within the next year.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:25 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm speaking from experience here as I broke one intake 02z 49k miles. (Stock) Bone Stock

Seen 4 LS6 motors with broken springs that resulted in catastrophic engine failure. "boat anchors/coffee tables" (2 modified with cam) (2 bone stock)

Seen atleast 6 more failures other than the five above where no damage occurred other that stained seats!

All of these failures were with yellow springs. All mentions above were within 200 miles of my residence!

Believe what you want or who you want. It's a two hour job and $200 in parts, not worth the chance in my eyes.

Last edited by z06scentair; 10-08-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dreaded yellow springs..

Old 10-08-2014, 01:54 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think most of the time people just don't like to take on the work or feel confident enough to do such swap, so they go back to the fail rate numbers and come up with all kind of excuses...I am not saying that the OP is not capable of doing such work, but as some have mentioned its a 2-3 hrs job depending on how much you drink while doing this and ~$300 in parts...now you can sleep at night peacefully and every time you shift at 6500 rpm you don't have to worry about spring failure.
I have a couple of friends with C6Z and still on stock heads, one of them even has 60k miles...every time they drive the car I see it as a gamble of $15k or more..BUT at the same time it is not cheap to do heads...springs on the other side, should be no excuse, if you cant do it, have a shop do it..i don't see an indy shop charging much for the work
Old 10-08-2014, 04:52 PM
CGGS
Pro

Springs - 12499224

How much did that run you total?

Where did you get them from?
Old 10-08-2014, 04:59 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

in short

you're not the sharpest tack in the box

you're looking for reasons to defend a position you have convinced yourself is true

on this forum alone, and think of how small of % of z06 owners that is, multiple failures over the last ten years have taken place, i have personally seen one myself and i've only known a handful of z06 owners. the reason the springs fail is well documented, GM had a supplier in most of 02 and early 03 that was using sub par metal and some of the springs were made with impurities that led to stress fractures. when that happens it can sometimes harm nothing and sometimes break cylinder liners, both cases have happened.

if a $65 dollar set of springs is too expensive for you, you might consider a different car

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dreaded yellow springs..