Sponsored by:

[Z06] Water pump removal...how bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:14 PM
ZeeOwe6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump removal...how bad?

So I took the ol girl (02CZ) to town and she was just loving the cold weather today. Ran her pretty good in the upper 5k - low 6k rpm range through a couple gears but didn't flog it to town and back. there were no puddles or dribble trails anywhere till I parked it at home. went back out the garage and could smell hot antifreeze. looked under the car to about a 1/8th of a gallon on the ground. looks to me like its the rear seal behind the water pump or I just blew up the WP....how difficult is it to change this? looks like there is a lot of stuff to remove.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:46 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

it's easy, you will also want to replace all the hoses when you're in there. good chance to clean the radiator too. do not over tighten the WP bolts

list of all your part numbers in the cooling system and aprox. prices, there is probably a lower cost hose for part # 10229491 by dayco/goodyear etc. also buy your 5/8" heater hose somewhere local and get the smallest 5/8" they have, bring a caliper, some measure 9/16 which is what you want, some measure TTS at 10/16 or large at 11/16, you don't want this

Ac delco 20889 radiator $188.16
Ac delco water pump 251-744 $177.61
Ac delco water pump inlet w/ stat 15-11057 $29.30
Ac delco 18021L hose $27.52
Ac delco 24388L hose $25.35
Ac delco 24458L hose $14.59
GM hose 10229491 $24
Gates 18127 $12.62
Gates 5/8” heater hose {runs small} 2ft section
GM coolant tank 10430189 $69.95
Old 10-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

It's not a bad job. It'll take you longer to drain the radiator and clean up the mess from disconnecting the hoses than the actual replacement of the pump will take.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:41 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Last C5
It's not a bad job. It'll take you longer to drain the radiator and clean up the mess from disconnecting the hoses than the actual replacement of the pump will take.

there's one hose clamp that's a bear if you don't have cable hose pliers too, might be the upper one, can't remember, just remember trying all kinds of nonsense to get it off and wondering why i have never bought cable hose pliers. was hard to get conventional tools on it

Last edited by racebum; 10-13-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:34 AM
ZeeOwe6
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply guys... just for effect. here's how bad it is. runs at a trickles pace. Id load a video, but the forum doesn't support quicktime:/
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2014, 02:47 PM
racebum
Race Director

you can upload videos to youtube and link that way

fix it before it gets worse, you also will need to replace your belts and really clean the pulleys, if they aren't squealing now they will soon from slipping on the coolant
Old 10-13-2014, 03:20 PM
ZeeOwe6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by racebum
you can upload videos to youtube and link that way

fix it before it gets worse, you also will need to replace your belts and really clean the pulleys, if they aren't squealing now they will soon from slipping on the coolant
theres no doubt that it has to be fixed. it wouldn't make it a mile without over heating and damaging the engine. im not sure how I didn't have a trail down the street or puddles else where. This is not a daily driver so it sits where it does till its fixed. parts are on order and should be here Thursday. already have another belt ready so just a cleaning and radiator hoses to be changed and I will be back in business.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:28 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZeeOwe6
theres no doubt that it has to be fixed. it wouldn't make it a mile without over heating and damaging the engine. im not sure how I didn't have a trail down the street or puddles else where. This is not a daily driver so it sits where it does till its fixed. parts are on order and should be here Thursday. already have another belt ready so just a cleaning and radiator hoses to be changed and I will be back in business.
you have two belts, an ac belt and the main belt. would also suggest dayco or goodyear, they have plastic molded in the belts that's less prone to squeal than the more rubbery gates. just an ls1/ls6 thing

make sure you use some purple power, dish soap etc and scrub the hell out of the pulleys, then hose the bejesus out of them, let them dry, then install the belts. do this step last as you will get coolant on stuff changing the pump and hoses

i wasted 2 belts my first time doing this job before i realized how sensitive these engines are to belts and contamination - slippage
Old 10-13-2014, 04:08 PM
ZeeOwe6
Intermediate

the good thing is that it only started leaking after I shut it down. there is not any antifreeze on the belts, just on the crank pulley. I have the main belt guess I only need the A/C belt and a little cleaning.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:28 AM
ZeeOwe6
Intermediate

Ok got the old pump out... What a pia! Biggest mess I've ever made changing a WP. Lol. I got to looking at this and I can't find where it was leaking. All seals look ok and opened the pump and all was working. Got the other parts off it and On to the new WP... Any famous last words before I install?
Old 10-17-2014, 01:08 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Ok got the old pump out... What a pia! Biggest mess I've ever made changing a WP. Lol. I got to looking at this and I can't find where it was leaking. All seals look ok and opened the pump and all was working. Got the other parts off it and On to the new WP... Any famous last words before I install?
lol, the first waterpump I did I drained the radiator and tried my best to keep it clean but that didn't work... now I just say F it and pull it off and let it go everywhere haha... I just put a couple of drain pans and a bunch of cardboard boxes under the car to keep it off the garage floor
Old 10-17-2014, 03:21 PM
racebum
Race Director

make sure everything is very clean. sand with 1500grit sand paper if you see any rough spots, do not over torque the bolts

now you see why i said to clean the pulleys so well, makes a giant mess

also blow out your radiator while you have this apart and easy access with an air blower
Old 10-17-2014, 03:50 PM
ZeeOwe6
Intermediate

OK heres the pumps...what a difference. wonder why the new one is sealed and the old WP is serviceable? still cant find where the pump seal failed. there was a little moisture on the left side from the rear of the pump but no signs of a blow out...hope is not the seal on the intake! digging deeper this evening.
Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2014, 04:23 PM
racebum
Race Director

if you filled the pump up with water and added 15psi of air, then spun the pulley you may see it

if you can't do that, it's just a reasonable guess.

water pumps at this age are a very common failure item, VERY
Old 10-18-2014, 10:11 AM
ZeeOwe6
Intermediate

Houston, I have a problem. new WP IDA is smaller than the stock WP IDA opening for the Thermostat...I ordered stock replacement parts and this is what I got.
Attached Images   
Old 10-18-2014, 04:24 PM
racebum
Race Director

i mentioned this in the part numbers i listed above

you need the updated state and outlet
Old 10-18-2014, 04:34 PM
ZeeOwe6
Intermediate

my bad I must have over looked that...ended having to go to the Stealership today and for the correct one it cost me damn near the cost of the pump. $78 later im back on the road looking for birds and ponies for lunch.

now its time for a complete engine bay wash down with a heated pressure washer and some degreaser before winter hibernation.

Get notified of new replies

To Water pump removal...how bad?

Old 10-18-2014, 07:04 PM
racebum
Race Director

my bad I must have over looked that...ended having to go to the Stealership today and for the correct one it cost me damn near the cost of the pump. $78 later im back on the road looking for birds and ponies for lunch.

now its time for a complete engine bay wash down with a heated pressure washer and some degreaser before winter hibernation.
yikes, they were only 29 shipped on amazon
Old 10-18-2014, 08:17 PM
ZeeOwe6
Intermediate

Yea, I know. Just got sick of looking at the Z with the hood up and a massive mess on the floor.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:06 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by racebum
i mentioned this in the part numbers i listed above

you need the updated state and outlet
interesting, so with the delco pump you listed above the original thermostat/housing won't fit?... my pump is off right now while I'm doing some other things and I considered replacing it just for good measure since it's kind of a pain to take off now having a blower in the way but I don't really want to have to buy a new thermostat and housing, mine is almost brand new anyway... I noticed on rockauto they have 2 delco pumps, one with the housing already installed which is cheaper (252836) and a more expensive one that doesn't include the housing (251744)... I was going to buy 251744 and reuse my thermostat

Quick Reply: [Z06] Water pump removal...how bad?