Sponsored by:

[Z06] Voltage drops low on idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 10:22 AM
gandy2423
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage drops low on idle

01 Z06, mild top mod work, drained red top battery after setting with no battery tender. Had battery checked, it was okay, but alternator output was low. Had alternator checked and was told it needed brushes and regulator set. Had it rebuilt and checked output and was at 13.5 at alternator, a little l lower on instrument panel. Drops to 12 volts on idle or low speeds and never gets over 13.25.

Followed electrical thread on cleaning grounding points on car on the ones I could find with the front two connectors being extremely corroded. Red top battery quits changing and can not be revived by Interstate batteries and t Hey give me a new lead acid battery but now the voltage drops to 11 volts on idle but comes up to around 13 when driving. It varies more now with the cleaning of the connectors but is showing lower with the new battery.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Note: metered electrical, fuses, relays for drains and only had one draw of about .236 of an amp from the aftermarket stereo and I was told that it would take weeks for that to pull a good battery down and should not make the output on the panel fall so low.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Voltage drops low on idle