Sponsored by:

[Z06] Best tires for a C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:06 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchredc5vette
Now I contacted a place that is selling the Michelin 295/35/18 and they said it was part number 05271 which carries the n4 rating so not sure if I should jump on these?

Other thing is... With the fronts do I go with factory 265/40/17 or a 275?

Thanks for input
if you go ps2 absolutely go 265 40 17, one of the reasons to use this tire is their perfect OE fit
Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
My car is bone stock!

I ran two days at Summit Point
Three days at Watkins Glen
One day at Lime Rock

I bought this car in the spring with 16,500 miles. Now has a tick over 20k miles. Fronts (on 17" wheels) are fine and have plenty of miles left. The driver rear is to the wear bar, passenger rear not quite there. No burnouts or nonsense on the street. I try not to give the police a reason to hassle me, I've had enough of that over the years....

Hoping that if I can rotate tires on a square setup I'll get more miles. Not sure if this matters or not, but this is my first year running tracks (and with this car). Not sure if a newb is more likely to lean on a rear tire more than people with experience?
I would be a "newb" when it comes to road racing this Z next spring as well, I have tracked my sportbikes in the past @ NJ motorsports and I imagine the tire wear on novice bike riders is the polar opposite of novice sports car drivers - on my bikes the tires lasted a while at first, but then they'd start to get worn more easily as a I got more confidence and really started throwing the bike around and leaning into turns. On a car I imagine at first you're taking incorrect lines, doing mid-turn corrections more often, too late or too early on the brakes, and not sure when/where to give full throttle - all of which would add up to more rear tire wear (rear especially) vs. a more seasoned driver doing less of all those things.

I'm just guessing, but I'm sure I'll find out. Maybe I should have ordered 2 sets of rears lol!

I have taken cars to the 1/4 mile track before...but that's an entirely different ballgame. I most likely won't be doing that w/ the Z...clutches are expensive.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:06 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
I really liked the performance of the Nitto NT-05's. That said, I put them on in April of this year. After 6 track days and 3500 total miles, the driver rear is to the wear bar. Somewhere around $800 shipped from discount tire.com

I'm going to run a square setup next year using the 18" rear rims. I'll use the NT-05's all around. Square setup lets me rotate and hopefully get some more miles out of these
The Nitto handles BEST at or below the wearbars. I recommend keeping these old tires for track use ONLY, and run your new tires for street only (on two different sets of wheels of course) as you are buying new wheels anyway
Old 11-18-2014, 03:20 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie

I have taken cars to the 1/4 mile track before...but that's an entirely different ballgame. I most likely won't be doing that w/ the Z...clutches are expensive.
this is why i don't drag race too

i have a stock 02 and can rip off 12.6s pretty consistently being easy on the clutch

but

if i go for a 12.5 or attempt a 12.4 i need cold air and have to treat the clutch like a rented mule. we all know how fun chasing that last tenth can be.

went drag racing twice since i bought this car, probably all it's going to get and for the exact reason you mention. the 1/4 is hell on clutches
Old 11-18-2014, 04:58 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by racebum
this is why i don't drag race too

i have a stock 02 and can rip off 12.6s pretty consistently being easy on the clutch

but

if i go for a 12.5 or attempt a 12.4 i need cold air and have to treat the clutch like a rented mule. we all know how fun chasing that last tenth can be.

went drag racing twice since i bought this car, probably all it's going to get and for the exact reason you mention. the 1/4 is hell on clutches
yeah hell on clutches and rear ends too! That is the only thing I miss no longer having an auto "muscle car" - so easy to get consistently fast 1/4 mile times and consistent launches on the street having a little fun, nothing like ripping a 12.7 @ 113 in a 4000 lb family sedan on street tires! (my old car bolted G8 GT)
Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 PM
SJSZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
no one really knows, they are a different rubber but it may not be noticeable.

the poster above who bought current production ps2 tires is the best source we have.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...ails#techspecs

is the direct michelin parts page and 295 35 18 has been marked as limited availability. have to hope they aren't discontinued

the nitto nt05 is also hard to find in the 295/275 combo, if you want a pure 100% factory look & good performance the ps2 is the tire to get
racebum, sometime back I sent an email to Michelin about these tires.
Just heard back from them. You were right, Kauffman lied to me.
They are a Porsche specified compound (they didn't specify N4... nor did they say what that compound was - proprietary. Then again I wouldn't understand if they told me!)
But as I said in a previous post, they worked great at Road Atlanta, so I guess they are ok.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Torchredc5vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SJSZ06
racebum, sometime back I sent an email to Michelin about these tires.
Just heard back from them. You were right, Kauffman lied to me.
They are a Porsche specified compound (they didn't specify N4... nor did they say what that compound was - proprietary. Then again I wouldn't understand if they told me!)
But as I said in a previous post, they worked great at Road Atlanta, so I guess they are ok.
Sjsz06, so since you have had these you feel they are fine and no issues? I was wondering about the difference as I was looking for ps2

So michelin confirmed they only make the Porsche compound?

Thanks

Last edited by Torchredc5vette; 11-18-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:36 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
The Nitto handles BEST at or below the wearbars. I recommend keeping these old tires for track use ONLY, and run your new tires for street only (on two different sets of wheels of course) as you are buying new wheels anyway
Good to know, thank you!

Helps me plan for next year differently
Old 11-19-2014, 09:09 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Sjsz06, so since you have had these you feel they are fine and no issues? I was wondering about the difference as I was looking for ps2

So michelin confirmed they only make the Porsche compound?

Thanks
I don't think the compound should make a HUGE difference, I know they're performance cars...but I mean you could take the same exact michelin brand tire (pick something other than PS2 for argument's sake) in the same exact size and put it on a charger SRT8, a camaro, a vette, and an M3 - all the same compound, same size potentially, and these vehicles all have drastically different curb weights, weight distribution, and suspension setups. So, considering the a base 911 or 911 S has a very similar curb weight to a C5Z (3,120 lbs for an S model w/ 7 speed PDK) The big difference that I can between the 2 that may effect how well a "porsche compound" tire would be the variance in weight dist. the vette is nose heavy @ 53/47 front to rear while the 911 is tail heavy @ 39/61 - that's a significant difference

But when you say "porsche compound" does that imply that these same PS2's are recommended for ALL 911's? If that is the case then I would think they'd be fine on a vette too. Why? Because there's such drastic differences between all 911 variants (a base 911 weighs 3,020 lbs while a turbo 4S is like 3,700 lbs) including manual vs. pdk, awd vs. rwd, turbo vs. n/a etc. that I would think the difference in curb weight wouldn't be that significant overall.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:17 PM
SJSZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
I don't think the compound should make a HUGE difference, I know they're performance cars...but I mean you could take the same exact michelin brand tire (pick something other than PS2 for argument's sake) in the same exact size and put it on a charger SRT8, a camaro, a vette, and an M3 - all the same compound, same size potentially, and these vehicles all have drastically different curb weights, weight distribution, and suspension setups. So, considering the a base 911 or 911 S has a very similar curb weight to a C5Z (3,120 lbs for an S model w/ 7 speed PDK) The big difference that I can between the 2 that may effect how well a "porsche compound" tire would be the variance in weight dist. the vette is nose heavy @ 53/47 front to rear while the 911 is tail heavy @ 39/61 - that's a significant difference

But when you say "porsche compound" does that imply that these same PS2's are recommended for ALL 911's? If that is the case then I would think they'd be fine on a vette too. Why? Because there's such drastic differences between all 911 variants (a base 911 weighs 3,020 lbs while a turbo 4S is like 3,700 lbs) including manual vs. pdk, awd vs. rwd, turbo vs. n/a etc. that I would think the difference in curb weight wouldn't be that significant overall.
I don't know if they are for ALL Porsche's... the email said that Porsche specified the compound. They didn't say for which model.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Torchredc5vette
Instructor

I don't know if they are for ALL Porsche's... the email said that Porsche specified the compound. They didn't say for which model.
Are you happy with the tires though overall?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:39 AM
SJSZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Are you happy with the tires though overall?
Absolutely!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Torchredc5vette
Instructor

Absolutely!
So for you z06 guys who are running a non run flat.... Do you worry if you got a flat what you would do?

Currently have stock wheels with run flats.

Thanks

Last edited by Torchredc5vette; 11-23-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

So for you z06 guys ghost are running a non run flat.... Do you worry if you got a flat what you would do?

Thanks
Do I worry, Yes, I worry about everything!

I have AAA with a 100 miles of free towing.

For 2015, I'll be running a square setup at the track. Lets me bring an extra rear and be able to change a tire if I have a problem on a long trip. Looking to do VIR this year which is 7 hours from home. And the glen which is 4 hours.....
Old 11-24-2014, 09:55 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

So for you z06 guys who are running a non run flat.... Do you worry if you got a flat what you would do?

Thanks
I work in the scrap metal business - if I'm not traveling, working from home, or in my NYC office, and it is nice out, then I take my Z06 to work. If you haven't been to a scrap metal yard before I can tell you the only other place you'd have a higher chance of getting a flat would be maybe a nail, screw, and tack factory lol! I was typically good for at least 2 per year, when I used to DD my G8 GT or GTO - wide, sticky, low profile tires are THE WORST - seem to always pick up sharp objects. I just make sure I go in and out of the main entrance where we have the bobcat sweep the road all the time for customers. On my DD GMC truck I threw on Nitto terra grapplers and I'll drive throughout most of the yard w/ those as they're meaty enough to take a 3" spike direct to the tread without losing air.

My only point in mentioning is that I occasionally drive my vette in an extremely puncture-prone area, but am just careful. I keep the fix a flat crap on hand, although not sure I'd actually use it. For regular driving on the street if you're careful there's a pretty low chance of getting a flat tire IMHO.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:19 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts
Default I do worry and I did get a flat.

Thanks
Thankfully I was at work and parked when a coworker let me know about it. We fished an air hose out thru a shop window and pumped it up, then waited 15 minutes (how long it takes me to get home). After 15 it was low but only by about 8-10#, so I pumped it up to about 40# and drove home carefully (sadly, for the winter... even though no snow still ). It was one of my front needs-to-be-replaced-in-spring tires anyway, so no big deal.
That'll be my spring dilemma; got the car with brand new Goodyear Supercars rears, but fronts balding. Get same for front, or full set of something (the high end Goodrich or Nitto...?) and sell rears for less money total out of my pocket!?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:11 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I run Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta,275/35/18 & 295/30/19 on my 02Z.It's a great dry & WET tire.

Best I've had on this car.

\db2
Carolina

Quick Reply: [Z06] Best tires for a C5 Z06