Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Crank Case Venting Q's (Vented Cap and PCV and Catch Can)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:17 PM
nskyline34
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Crank Case Venting Q's (Vented Cap and PCV and Catch Can)

So I'm looking to put a vented oil cap on the vette to help with crankcase pressure ( http://www.jhrperformance.com/produc...over-breather/ ) and I'm worried that this will cause the air to flow in through it, through the PCV and then into the intake thus throwing off tuning? I was thinking about capping it off? Thoughts?

Then I got to thinking that if I did this then I shouldnt need a catch can. Then I started wondering about venting the driverside head and then got all confused. can someone help me please?

When I think logically I feel like a vented oil cap and then plugging the PCV off and NO catch can PCV setup is one option. The other option is to run a OE cap and then run a PCV with a catch can.

Thoughts? just feeling lost.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

What TB are you running? The stock LS1 and LS6 TB had a ported that provided clean air to the passenger valve cover. The dirty air came from the valley cover through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold behind the TB. If you have a LS2 TB that has no provision for clean air, you will need to connect the valve cover into the air clean or bridge somehow or install the oil cap breather.

On my car I am running the PCV valve into a catch can and then into the intake. I plugged the valve cover port and put a oil cap filter like you have linked in.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:29 PM
nskyline34
Racer

Stock for now. MIGHT upgrade to a 92 or proted LS2 someday but not too worried about it right now.

With your setup did you notice any rich or lean conditions? (although I'm assuming the computer is smart enough to figure this out)
Old 10-23-2014, 01:07 PM
randyfl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

This what I used. Worked great.

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...m#.VEk1r_nF98E
Old 10-23-2014, 01:23 PM
nskyline34
Racer

I think these are basically the exact same products! (that you have and i am looking at) Did you do anything special with the PCV valve?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by nskyline34
Stock for now. MIGHT upgrade to a 92 or proted LS2 someday but not too worried about it right now.

With your setup did you notice any rich or lean conditions? (although I'm assuming the computer is smart enough to figure this out)
If you are stock I would not touch anything. Leave it setup like the factory has it. When you change to a 90 or 92 mm TB then I would add the oil cap filter and catch can. There was no change in how the car ran with the system hooked up on my car. There will however be a change whenever I unplug the PCV.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:11 PM
nskyline34
Racer

In my opinion the factory did a poor job oh how they did the PCV. There should've been a catch can in it. So I want to fix it. Before I mod anything further I want to fix all these little things the the factory missed.

What do you mean you unplugged it? Did you have it capped off or did you run a catch can or....? Also what changed on it?

I did this same thing with my truck when I modded it and that's part of the reason I trust it so much now is because I paid attention to the little details. But I do understand what you're getting at though. It just bothers me.

(car only has a borla exhaust and callaway intake on it)
Old 10-23-2014, 02:12 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Mine is built (stroke'd)... My set up... Zero Blow by....

Old 10-23-2014, 02:22 PM
nskyline34
Racer

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Mine is built (stroke'd)... My set up... Zero Blow by....

Mind sharing some info on your build? Mine will never progress to this level because I want a C7Z but it still looks bad A man!

Also where does the hose from your oil cap go to?
Old 10-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

In my opinion the factory did a poor job oh how they did the PCV. There should've been a catch can in it. So I want to fix it. Before I mod anything further I want to fix all these little things the the factory missed.

What do you mean you unplugged it? Did you have it capped off or did you run a catch can or....? Also what changed on it?

I did this same thing with my truck when I modded it and that's part of the reason I trust it so much now is because I paid attention to the little details. But I do understand what you're getting at though. It just bothers me.

(car only has a borla exhaust and callaway intake on it)
By unplug, I mean if I induce a vacuum leak by disconnecting the hose on the intake. That will make the car run noticeably different and lean, otherwise with the PCV hooked up it operates as normal.

If you want to put a catch can in place, than just put it after the PCV and before the intake.

My current system has the clean air going in the oil fill cap breather, running through the engine to the valley pan and PCV valve. From there I run it through the catch cans and into the intake manifold. Because I am running a FAST 90 intake and LS2 TB, I have the hose connection plugged on the passenger valve cover.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:07 PM
nskyline34
Racer

Originally Posted by Sigforty
By unplug, I mean if I induce a vacuum leak by disconnecting the hose on the intake. That will make the car run noticeably different and lean, otherwise with the PCV hooked up it operates as normal.

If you want to put a catch can in place, than just put it after the PCV and before the intake.

My current system has the clean air going in the oil fill cap breather, running through the engine to the valley pan and PCV valve. From there I run it through the catch cans and into the intake manifold. Because I am running a FAST 90 intake and LS2 TB, I have the hose connection plugged on the passenger valve cover.
MAJOR LIGHT BULB! Ok, I will order some stuff up here once I finish the current projects. Thanks for shedding more light on that. REALLY helped to clear things up. Any recommendations on a catch can setup?

Thanks again
Old 10-23-2014, 06:52 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, it's a 414ci stroker w all the goodies. The hose from the oil cap runs to the Halltech KBII air filter...

Mind sharing some info on your build? Mine will never progress to this level because I want a C7Z but it still looks bad A man!

Also where does the hose from your oil cap go to?
Old 10-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

I run the Mike Norris can. They are a good can.

Get notified of new replies

To Crank Case Venting Q's (Vented Cap and PCV and Catch Can)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Crank Case Venting Q's (Vented Cap and PCV and Catch Can)