Sponsored by:

[Z06] LQ9 6.0 with turbos into a C5 Z06 lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:28 PM
NVESTZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 6.0 with turbos into a C5 Z06 lots of questions

Okay fellas, I have decided to sell my LS6 and swap in a Lq9 6.0 from the Yukon Denali's. I will be boosting it.

Questions :

Will a single turbo be sufficent? If so which ?

Does the LQ9 bolt up to the bellhousing/ torque tube all the same?

Motor mounts the same? Drop and go ?

What all would I need to modify in my Z06 engine bay to support a single or twin turbo setup LQ9?

I'd be using Siemens 60 lb injectors, walboro 400 pump and not sure on heads/ exhaust manifolds since I'd need a custom downpipe / hotside setup

Anyone who has done this setup please chime in for me!

My budget is 5,000 cash.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:07 AM
derekdj87
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know much about the swap, but maybe you should look into the LQ4 instead of LQ9. LQ4 is cheaper and has less compression making it better for boosted applications. I believe it is like 9-1 compression vs 10-1 in the LQ9.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 PM
NVESTZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by derekdj87
Don't know much about the swap, but maybe you should look into the LQ4 instead of LQ9. LQ4 is cheaper and has less compression making it better for boosted applications. I believe it is like 9-1 compression vs 10-1 in the LQ9.
Will do thanks,

Come on you old turds, know one here has done this swap yet?
Old 10-28-2014, 11:56 PM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

you will get a lot more response if you post in this section bud:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-nitrous-86/
Old 10-30-2014, 08:02 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How can you build a turbo motor for $5000?
Old 11-01-2014, 12:46 PM
fstphx
Intermediate

Unless you have dreams of 700+hp just boost your current motor.
Lighter. Cheaper. And will handle what most would deem sane for a street car.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hate to be a dream crusher but your not doing anything with a budget of 5K. You can sell your motor for maybe 3K and use the 5K and 3K to build a decent forged motor. But you are still going to need probably another 10k+ to do a turbo. Even if you were doing everything yourself including the fab work and welding, your parts list will still cost you more then your budget. A buddy of mine just talked to a few shops about doing a single turbo kit using his stock cube LS6 honed to a 347 and forged. He was quoted 20K by 2 reputable shops that are venders here. Just some food for thought bud...

Last edited by Breze84; 11-02-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:03 PM
fstphx
Intermediate

That is more money than brains ^
My APS GTO makes 620, Stock ls2 daily drive.
I'll likely Do the same with a UPP kit on the Z06
Down the road you build a motor and turn up the boost.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:18 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

unless something is wrong with your LS6 I would keep it and build upon that block...I just S/C my LS6 and its making over 625 at the crank, and runs and drives great...what are you end goals for your car?
Old 11-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Originally Posted by fstphx
That is more money than brains ^
My APS GTO makes 620, Stock ls2 daily drive.
I'll likely Do the same with a UPP kit on the Z06
Down the road you build a motor and turn up the boost.
APS makes a bolt in Turbo kit for the GTO. I ran a STS 76mm on my Pulse Red GTO years ago that I built. Corvettes on the other hand have no turbo kits other then the STS which sucks imo. To do a APS style or front mount kit takes a lot of custom fabrication which costs a lot of $ when your looking at $120 a hr shop rates. Not only the fabricating but you gotta do a fuel system, and if you want to hold the power you gotta do the drivetrain... Trust me, I know 1st hand what it costs and thats doing it on my time...
Old 11-02-2014, 09:24 PM
fstphx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Breze84
APS makes a bolt in Turbo kit for the GTO. I ran a STS 76mm on my Pulse Red GTO years ago that I built. Corvettes on the other hand have no turbo kits other then the STS which sucks imo. To do a APS style or front mount kit takes a lot of custom fabrication which costs a lot of $ when your looking at $120 a hr shop rates. Not only the fabricating but you gotta do a fuel system, and if you want to hold the power you gotta do the drivetrain... Trust me, I know 1st hand what it costs and thats doing it on my time...
UPP Twin kit. Nicer turbos than APS anyways.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 PM
NVESTZ06
Racer

I've seen guys throw LQ4's and 9's stock longblock with chinese turbos or borg warners" for WAY under 5k..

2k for longblock, 1500 for turbos and kit... fuel system upgrade and boom.... 700whp.. No one here has done this I see.?
Old 11-04-2014, 01:27 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NVESTZ06
I've seen guys throw LQ4's and 9's stock longblock with chinese turbos or borg warners" for WAY under 5k..

2k for longblock, 1500 for turbos and kit... fuel system upgrade and boom.... 700whp.. No one here has done this I see.?
I don't know where you can find a LQ4 or LQ9 long block for $2000, maybe a junkyard, and as far as I know they weren't forged. Turbos for $1500? I'd like to see that also. In case you haven't looked in a C5 engine compartment, there's not much extra space. All the turbo C5s I've seen have rear mounted turbos and cost $8000 and up for the kit.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Kins13y
Instructor

Hot Rod magazine did a spread on a 4.8 with a Chinese turbo and made something north of 700hp on an engine dyno. I don't know all the details and would save a project like this to a lesser car than a Z06 but to each his own. I would just run with the 5.3's they are even cheaper and can make a lot of power boosted on stock internals. Call them throw away engines, I've priced one at a local junkyard with the pedal assembly, ECU, wiring harness for $1300 for a different project.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Breze84
Drifting

UPP Twin kit. Nicer turbos than APS anyways.
Say whaaaa. The UPP kit is a cheap Ebay kit with chinese turbos that starve up top. The proper way to do that kit is with good turbos and a gravity fed oil system instead of the scavenger pump system. Also that turbo kit is hidden behind the fenders about 1 inch away from them. Now you tell me, What happens when turbos start spooling? They get hot! Now what is the car made of? Fiberglass... Even with a turbo blanket it still will get hot enough to blister the paint if not set the car on fire. Dont trust that kit at all... Its a clever idea, but poorly designed imo with poor parts...

Last edited by Breze84; 11-07-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:40 AM
fstphx
Intermediate

Say whaaaa. The UPP kit is a cheap Ebay kit with chinese turbos that starve up top. The proper way to do that kit is with good turbos and a gravity fed oil system instead of the scavenger pump system. Also that turbo kit is hidden behind the fenders about 1 inch away from them. Now you tell me, What happens when turbos start spooling? They get hot! Now what is the car made of? Fiberglass... Even with a turbo blanket it still will get hot enough to blister the paint if not set the car on fire. Dont trust that kit at all... Its a clever idea, but poorly designed imo with poor parts...
Precision GT35Rs?
And find me anything / anyone with paint issues? Pics? Threads?
Old 11-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Precision GT35Rs?
And find me anything / anyone with paint issues? Pics? Threads?
Dont they use T3/T04B Turbo's..... Also there are not a lot of people running this from what I seen. I did see a guy with a C6 though and he could only muster a 12.1 @ 119 with this kit. Ill do some research on it.

Get notified of new replies

To LQ9 6.0 with turbos into a C5 Z06 lots of questions

Old 11-08-2014, 04:30 PM
fstphx
Intermediate

Dont they use T3/T04B Turbo's..... Also there are not a lot of people running this from what I seen. I did see a guy with a C6 though and he could only muster a 12.1 @ 119 with this kit. Ill do some research on it.
so all those claims and you actually had no idea.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:27 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Breze....let me help you out, because clearly you are mis-informed...

1. UPP kit's are not cheap E-bay, last I checked Ebay wasn't in the turbo business. Moreover I can find damn near anything on Ebay, so referencing anything to Ebay is in itself a mute point.

2. Most ALL turbos are made in China, so again, a mute point. Garrett, Precision, Turbonetics, ALL Chinese! Furthermore Americans are capable of making crapy products in the same fashion that Chinese are capable of making good products. So saying "cheap Chinese" is not only incorrect, but it is in itself a racist comment.

3. I've never seen a turbo system that was gravity FED. I'm not quite sure how you would expect the engine's oil to somehow drip up-hill to the turbos? I suggest you mean gravity drain, to which my reply would be they are. Once the oil is gravity drained from then it is then pumped back into the pan, which again really has no bearing on the system. I would much rather use an oil return pump in a system than suffer issues with turbo's being mounted too low without adequate drainage volume which allows the oil to back up into the turbos causing a smoking issue. Furthermore if this was such an issue there wouldn't be a dedicated company making pumps for this specific application (TurboWerx), nor would there be so many companies who use a return style system (UPP, STS, Nelson Racing, Granatelli, AGP, Hellion, Dallas Performance, TTIX...... the list is really endless).

4. Oh, the heat......yet of the 100's of systems sold never a paint issue? First, the fenders aren't made of fiberglass, they're a poly fiber resin blend. Secondly fiberglass is a great insulator from heat, hence why turbo blankets and header wrap are made from.....yea, fiberglass! Third, I presume by saying this you've never actually seen a kit in person, and have absolutelyno experience with the system to know what kind of clearances are truly in there? The clearances in there, plus the airflow from the factory vent, plus the body components resistant to heat, all leads up to ZERO issues. If the system melted paint or even worse caught cars on fire, do you really thing we would sell them? Moreover do you really think they would be as popular of a sale as they are?

5. "T3/T04B" turbo is almost as generic of a reference as saying T3/T4! It's like trying to describe your vehicle as simply "a car". T3 is a reference to the turbine housing. There are more turbos that use the T3 based turbine housing than pretty much any other turbo, so like 1000 different T3 options. T04B is a specific reference to the compressor's housing characteristics of the overall size. Namely originated from Turbonetics the T04B housing slightly smaller than the T04E housing, though this is just reference to the overall housing size, not the flow characteristics of the turbo itself as quite often the T04B housings are setup to out-flow the T04E. Again the vast majority of turbos are structured off either a T04E or T04B hosing. So asking don't they use a "T3/T04B" turbo is such a generic reference it's like me asking "Don't you drive a car?", Well I saw cars on Ebay going for dirt cheap, so clearly the "car" that you're driving must be cheap!

6. If you feel that "not alot of people are running" our systems, perhaps you should get out a bit more. Not only do we sell the hell out of the C5 systems, but we've also got lineups for the GTO, 2010+ Camaro, C6, C6 Z06, G8, Ford Raptor, and a whole slew of import cars. And if a 12.1 is the fastest you've seen run, perhaps you're not familiar with the fact that Stephen Shoaf's car holds the record for the fastest manual trans C6 with a stock bottom end running our system into the 9's? No worries, I'll post the link for you!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...upp-tt-c6.html

So perhaps it would be more beneficial to everyone if you were to do just a bit of research before you went on the forums to openly bash a company that has worked hard to be where they are today.

CK
Old 11-09-2014, 11:38 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Corvettes on the other hand have no turbo kits other then the STS which sucks imo.
STS
TTIX
DP
APS (used to)
GTM
LF
and DKT

..........a couple more than STS......

Originally Posted by john8642
Turbos for $1500? I'd like to see that also.

All the turbo C5s I've seen have rear mounted turbos and cost $8000 and up for the kit.

http://www.uppcos.com/index.php?cPath=23_34

and

http://www.uppcos.com/index.php?cPath=23_33_61

Quick Reply: [Z06] LQ9 6.0 with turbos into a C5 Z06 lots of questions