Sponsored by:

[Z06] HUD Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Z_fox
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default HUD Repair

My HUD is on the blink. Points at the bottom of the windshield and traverses side to side. Having problems locating a replacement. Is there a go to source for these things. It's on a 2004 Z06. Calling local has gotten me nowhere.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:41 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

bump for you and others who are interested
Old 11-01-2014, 01:01 AM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Why look for a replacement when you can spend 8-10 hours getting VERY Intimate with your console, dash and other various parts inside your vette to repair it yourself.

It is a pain no doubt, but doable. Just do a search and you'll find a couple of step by step posts to guide you through it. I did mine a few weeks ago. Proud to say I'd did it myself, but would not want to do it again.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:42 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Look at these 2 links. They might be helpful:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-display.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-install.html
Old 11-01-2014, 07:56 AM
Z_fox
Racer

Originally Posted by dbs1vette
Why look for a replacement when you can spend 8-10 hours getting VERY Intimate with your console, dash and other various parts inside your vette to repair it yourself.

It is a pain no doubt, but doable. Just do a search and you'll find a couple of step by step posts to guide you through it. I did mine a few weeks ago. Proud to say I'd did it myself, but would not want to do it again.
Thanx for the reply. And also to the other post for those links. I did a search on the forum and spent a few nights reading what others had done. I found that link with the tips and pics on fixing the broken tab and did that. Used a 6-32 screw from my electrical Scrooge bin and filed down the threads a bit. It's all back together, hope I centered the gears but I'll find that out this afternoon when I reinstall it.

Thing is the anti reflective paint that GM used in the projector is all alligator skinned. Cracked pretty badly and that was one reason for me looking to replace the projector. I guess I lived with it like this for all this time might as well just overlook that. Has anyone found a solution for that. Looks to be a stick on anti reflective decal or something.

Thanx again for the replies.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:15 PM
crgrdd55
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to replace the HUD

Originally Posted by dbs1vette

OK Folks! I just replaced my broken HUD in my 2005 C6 Coupe. There are several places that repair these, such as United Radio for around $300.00. Yes, it is definitely the best way to get very intimate with your console & dash, yaw sensor, blah, blah, blah. But, what I really want to point out is that some guy has a YouTube video on how to do this by cutting the air duct in half. DO NOT TAKE THIS SHORTCUT!!! Take the dash apart! My buddy & I did it in about a twelve pack and a half.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:33 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by crgrdd55
OK Folks! I just replaced my broken HUD in my 2005 C6 Coupe. There are several places that repair these, such as United Radio for around $300.00. Yes, it is definitely the best way to get very intimate with your console & dash, yaw sensor, blah, blah, blah. But, what I really want to point out is that some guy has a YouTube video on how to do this by cutting the air duct in half. DO NOT TAKE THIS SHORTCUT!!! Take the dash apart! My buddy & I did it in about a twelve pack and a half.
Could you still see straight after the twelve pack and a half?
Old 11-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Kins13y
Instructor

It is not the most fun but it took no where near 8-12 hours. Mine pointed too far down and I was able to rig it back up. Its not perfect, every time the car breaks traction it hops around a bit, but is working way better than it was.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Z_fox
Racer

Originally Posted by Kins13y
It is not the most fun but it took no where near 8-12 hours. Mine pointed too far down and I was able to rig it back up. Its not perfect, every time the car breaks traction it hops around a bit, but is working way better than it was.
Not sure what the problem was with your projector/ mirror but with mine it was the pin on the motor side as shown in the DIY post on repairing it. Once the screw was installed there was no play innit at all.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Kins13y
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z_fox
Not sure what the problem was with your projector/ mirror but with mine it was the pin on the motor side as shown in the DIY post on repairing it. Once the screw was installed there was no play innit at all.
You are correct that was what was wrong with mine but the little spring inside was all jacked up too. I removed the spring and because of that there is a little play. I wouldn't recommend fixing it the way I did but hey now it is visible so I have no complaints. Looks like your really getting wild when its losing traction too
Old 11-04-2014, 04:31 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, realistically, if all you are doing is going in and putting a screw in one side I think it's a 3-4 hour job if you're quick and 5-6 if not.

My problem was that someone had broken off 2 key mounting tabs on the dash itself and that had to be repaired as well as let set up overnight as well as securing my hard wired gps & V1 connection in a way that I was sure it would stay working and not have to go back in and rework it.

Doesn't help that the HUD itself was broke on both sides and I had to locate some specialty parts to make it work and the closest hardware store to me is an hour round trip. And it was still 100 degrees in the garage a month ago which required multiple breaks so I would still be breathing at the end of the day (heat kicks my butt).

Once you've done it I think you could do it again in 2-4 hours tops if everything cooperates.

Get notified of new replies

To HUD Repair

Quick Reply: [Z06] HUD Repair