Sponsored by:

[Z06] C7 zo6

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:12 AM
bradley21ss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 zo6

Looks like a simple blower install and we can outrun the new zo6. Looks like the ls6 is a better motor than the lt4.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:14 AM
r0nd3L
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sigh...
Old 12-10-2014, 01:00 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Uh no.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:57 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Outrun a C7 Z06 at Road Atlanta with a blower install...highly doubtful...

Outrun a C7 Z06 in a straight line...I mean...there are S10's and old Buicks doing that...doesn't seem too hard. My C5Z make 581whp/512wtq and is 3080lbs...I'd probably beat a C7Z in some roll race but...who cares...lol. The C7Z makes downforce, our C5's make LIFT...lol...you like LIFT?? I've added a myriad of suspension and braking this past winter in an ATTEMPT to match the new Z06 entirely...with data...that's my plan for this year...but it ain't gonna be easy, that's for damn sure.

So...add a blower and win...negative..
Old 12-10-2014, 04:23 PM
bradley21ss
Instructor

Originally Posted by RC000E
Outrun a C7 Z06 at Road Atlanta with a blower install...highly doubtful...

Outrun a C7 Z06 in a straight line...I mean...there are S10's and old Buicks doing that...doesn't seem too hard. My C5Z make 581whp/512wtq and is 3080lbs...I'd probably beat a C7Z in some roll race but...who cares...lol. The C7Z makes downforce, our C5's make LIFT...lol...you like LIFT?? I've added a myriad of suspension and braking this past winter in an ATTEMPT to match the new Z06 entirely...with data...that's my plan for this year...but it ain't gonna be easy, that's for damn sure.

So...add a blower and win...negative..
True.

What kind of stuff will you be adding to the C5 to get where you want it?
Old 12-10-2014, 04:36 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Old 12-10-2014, 05:56 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

lol
Old 12-10-2014, 06:37 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bradley21ss
True.

What kind of stuff will you be adding to the C5 to get where you want it?
Power wise I installed the AA kit, redid all the hydraulics, rebuilt the torque tube, etc. In addition I have AR longtubes, no cats, BB bullets. Dyno'd at 581whp/512wtq. From that point I went C6Z size tire package and widebodied the rear. I then grabbed the Pfadt featherlights and a johnny Oconnell swaybar setup. I sourced some C6Z front and rear brakes, installed them with braided lines and new fluid.

Currently I am prototyping an entire widebody setup from scratch and ditched the L5's. I will be doing a full rear spoiler on custom uprights, front splitter, canards, etc to get the downforce I need.

Lastly, I have considered going to an aftermarket traction control so I can utilize a launch control to allow a certain amount of tunable slippage. We'll see.

I'm targeting the Optima battery challenge this year in a car that doesn't look ***. They've got some fast cars, but the visual standards are slipping quite a bit. Cars aren't really trend setting, they are just built to win the event. I wish more weight was placed upon appearance/engineering/etc.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:28 PM
bradley21ss
Instructor

Wow thats going to be one bad car. How does the AA kit do at the track? Ive been thinking about going with the same setup S/C wise. Also can you run with a stock c6 zo6 at the track with your current setup?

Last edited by bradley21ss; 12-10-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:55 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

When you say track, my mind thinks road course...so, I'll assume that's what you mean. Initially I had some concern with heatsoak and some of that was validated. My clutch was a disappointment though...despite being rated for a higher output than I am making (based on the dyno I used), it's just not up to the task, so I am going to have to pull it all back out (not eager). Inevitably, I'd rather have a dry sump built 7.0. I had one but sold it to open my restaurant

In terms of a race between a C6Z and myself...it's not really a race straightline wise...my car is far faster. Considering C6Z's dyno in the 430whp range and I'm 150whp more, as well as lighter...really didn't surprise me much. Like I said...beating something straight really isn't too much of a challenge imo...it's everything else.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:41 PM
bradley21ss
Instructor

When you say track, my mind thinks road course...so, I'll assume that's what you mean. Initially I had some concern with heatsoak and some of that was validated. My clutch was a disappointment though...despite being rated for a higher output than I am making (based on the dyno I used), it's just not up to the task, so I am going to have to pull it all back out (not eager). Inevitably, I'd rather have a dry sump built 7.0. I had one but sold it to open my restaurant

In terms of a race between a C6Z and myself...it's not really a race straightline wise...my car is far faster. Considering C6Z's dyno in the 430whp range and I'm 150whp more, as well as lighter...really didn't surprise me much. Like I said...beating something straight really isn't too much of a challenge imo...it's everything else.
Yeah I was talking about a Road Course. Ive been thinking real hard about tracking my Z . Only mod I have now are wheels and tires I have the Forgline GA1rs 19" they are supposed to be the lightest wheels out. Thinking about trying to get in some events at Road Atlanta. What kind of times should a stock Z run at road atlanta. I know the c7 z has been around at 129.00 just wondering what a stock Z c5 would do.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:04 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I will never track mine so most of the spirited driving it sees is in a straight line on the street and I think I have enough to handle a lightly modded c7z in those conditions so I'm good with that... when people bench race and say "let's go run them" I highly doubt they will pack up their gear and head to the nuburgring, more than likely it's the nearest highway... now if you seriously run the cars on a road course then the c7 would be the clear winner... as far as looks that's debatable, I don't think the c7 will ever grow on me which I'm totally fine with
Old 12-10-2014, 10:27 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Power wise I installed the AA kit, redid all the hydraulics, rebuilt the torque tube, etc. In addition I have AR longtubes, no cats, BB bullets. Dyno'd at 581whp/512wtq. From that point I went C6Z size tire package and widebodied the rear. I then grabbed the Pfadt featherlights and a johnny Oconnell swaybar setup. I sourced some C6Z front and rear brakes, installed them with braided lines and new fluid.

Currently I am prototyping an entire widebody setup from scratch and ditched the L5's. I will be doing a full rear spoiler on custom uprights, front splitter, canards, etc to get the downforce I need.

Lastly, I have considered going to an aftermarket traction control so I can utilize a launch control to allow a certain amount of tunable slippage. We'll see.

I'm targeting the Optima battery challenge this year in a car that doesn't look ***. They've got some fast cars, but the visual standards are slipping quite a bit. Cars aren't really trend setting, they are just built to win the event. I wish more weight was placed upon appearance/engineering/etc.
That's quite a bit of mods you got going there, and I see your goal to have A very powerful but also tight handling race car essentially. But at some point would you step back and take a look at all the $$$ spent and not come to the conclusion that just buying a GTR or Z28 would maybe have been an easier route (and one w/ a warranty)?

I do think you could make a C5z do the same around a road course w/ the right suspension mods if you got a blower to make up for the power difference, not really that far off, sometimes people put too much emphasis on the latest and greatest being some perfection of engineering, but guess what? Another few years and the newest Z will be inadequate....what was that last blown Vette called again, the super duper one? Oh yeah the ZR1! And it even had that nifty window on the hood so you could see the plastic supercharger cover...so cute!

A the end of the day it's a significantly heavier rwd sports car w/ a factory blower, a fake stitched leather interior a fancy suspension and a body kit.

The Z28 I'm more impressed w/ considering how well it goes around a track being even heavier and n/a- the spool valve suspension on THAT car and massive factory tires are something to be envious of....
Old 12-11-2014, 01:45 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Looks like a simple blower install and we can outrun the new zo6. Looks like the ls6 is a better motor than the lt4.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:45 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by neutron82
I will never track mine so most of the spirited driving it sees is in a straight line on the street and I think I have enough to handle a lightly modded c7z in those conditions so I'm good with that... when people bench race and say "let's go run them" I highly doubt they will pack up their gear and head to the nuburgring, more than likely it's the nearest highway... now if you seriously run the cars on a road course then the c7 would be the clear winner... as far as looks that's debatable, I don't think the c7 will ever grow on me which I'm totally fine with
Well, that's your lifestyle I suppose. I personally never really see much point in racing on a highway. I did a lot of that in my earlier street racing days 12-15yrs ago (actually did 155 in my modded Honda CRX with 100shot...redlined 5th gear...lol), but things like the Optima battery challenge, various events at the tail of the dragon, trackcross days (kind of like autocross but one lap at the track all out), etc. These are places where you WILL see guys in new ZR1's or this Z06 almost immediately...so...that's what I build my car in preparation for. I'm at those places, and you're not, so...while that seems unreasonable to you, it's actually very reasonable if you're out there.

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
That's quite a bit of mods you got going there, and I see your goal to have A very powerful but also tight handling race car essentially. But at some point would you step back and take a look at all the $$$ spent and not come to the conclusion that just buying a GTR or Z28 would maybe have been an easier route (and one w/ a warranty)?

I do think you could make a C5z do the same around a road course w/ the right suspension mods if you got a blower to make up for the power difference, not really that far off, sometimes people put too much emphasis on the latest and greatest being some perfection of engineering, but guess what? Another few years and the newest Z will be inadequate....what was that last blown Vette called again, the super duper one? Oh yeah the ZR1! And it even had that nifty window on the hood so you could see the plastic supercharger cover...so cute!

A the end of the day it's a significantly heavier rwd sports car w/ a factory blower, a fake stitched leather interior a fancy suspension and a body kit.

The Z28 I'm more impressed w/ considering how well it goes around a track being even heavier and n/a- the spool valve suspension on THAT car and massive factory tires are something to be envious of....
Ehhh...it wasn't like I bought the car yesterday and went on this mission...lol. I bought the car in 2011...supercharged and widebodied about 9 months later. At that stage considered a C6Z, but really couldn't justify it to myself, so decided to take the car a step further.

In all, I stole the car itself in 2011 when the economy/buying market was slumped (54k miles, 17,500.00 cash, 2002 Z, had AR headers and xpipe already). To date, having done all the work, I have about 31k in it and I've always owned it outright. So...I guess I always had the intent of going from this car to a C7.

At this point, while I am HIGHLY tempted by the C7Z, I just don't want the supercharger. I think my next car will be a C7 Z51, which I'll build into a widebody/aero'd, kind of Z06 looking platform, but retain the N/A engine with heads/intake/exhaust/tune. I think a modded Z51 widebody car with a lot of aero, and about 550whp N/A sounds better than the Z06 imo.

Gm was developing a high revving 7.0 liter for the Z06 but it couldn't hit emissions targets. It's a real disappointment because...I just didn't want to see a roots supercharged Z06 personally. I think it pushed me out of the sale.

Yeah I was talking about a Road Course. Ive been thinking real hard about tracking my Z . Only mod I have now are wheels and tires I have the Forgline GA1rs 19" they are supposed to be the lightest wheels out. Thinking about trying to get in some events at Road Atlanta. What kind of times should a stock Z run at road atlanta. I know the c7 z has been around at 129.00 just wondering what a stock Z c5 would do.
There are modded Z's on slicks with some aero (390whp range which is basically Intake/header/exhaust/tune) running 1:25's. I suspect a stock Z on street tires would be in the 1:40-1:45 range depending on driver capability.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:02 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Well, that's your lifestyle I suppose. I personally never really see much point in racing on a highway. I did a lot of that in my earlier street racing days 12-15yrs ago (actually did 155 in my modded Honda CRX with 100shot...redlined 5th gear...lol), but things like the Optima battery challenge, various events at the tail of the dragon, trackcross days (kind of like autocross but one lap at the track all out), etc. These are places where you WILL see guys in new ZR1's or this Z06 almost immediately...so...that's what I build my car in preparation for. I'm at those places, and you're not, so...while that seems unreasonable to you, it's actually very reasonable if you're out there.

Ehhh...it wasn't like I bought the car yesterday and went on this mission...lol. I bought the car in 2011...supercharged and widebodied about 9 months later. At that stage considered a C6Z, but really couldn't justify it to myself, so decided to take the car a step further.

In all, I stole the car itself in 2011 when the economy/buying market was slumped (54k miles, 17,500.00 cash, 2002 Z, had AR headers and xpipe already). To date, having done all the work, I have about 31k in it and I've always owned it outright. So...I guess I always had the intent of going from this car to a C7.

At this point, while I am HIGHLY tempted by the C7Z, I just don't want the supercharger. I think my next car will be a C7 Z51, which I'll build into a widebody/aero'd, kind of Z06 looking platform, but retain the N/A engine with heads/intake/exhaust/tune. I think a modded Z51 widebody car with a lot of aero, and about 550whp N/A sounds better than the Z06 imo.

Gm was developing a high revving 7.0 liter for the Z06 but it couldn't hit emissions targets. It's a real disappointment because...I just didn't want to see a roots supercharged Z06 personally. I think it pushed me out of the sale.

There are modded Z's on slicks with some aero (390whp range which is basically Intake/header/exhaust/tune) running 1:25's. I suspect a stock Z on street tires would be in the 1:40-1:45 range depending on driver capability.
Dude- you REALLY should look at the Z28 then if that's what you're going after, it has the N/A LS7 (I would assume the valvetrain issues ironed out at this point) and you can't really replicate the downforce/suspension/brake setup on that car without BIG dough. I think if you started w/ that and took the weight reduction a little further, added a medium cam and intake/headers it'd be extremely tough to match on a track. Hell, in stock form it already goes around a road course quicker than the GTR or a 911 turbo...food for thought.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:14 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

There are modded Z's on slicks with some aero (390whp range which is basically Intake/header/exhaust/tune) running 1:25's.
I think you meant 1:35's.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 zo6

Old 12-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Kins13y
Instructor

Dude- you REALLY should look at the Z28 then if that's what you're going after, it has the N/A LS7 (I would assume the valvetrain issues ironed out at this point) and you can't really replicate the downforce/suspension/brake setup on that car without BIG dough. I think if you started w/ that and took the weight reduction a little further, added a medium cam and intake/headers it'd be extremely tough to match on a track. Hell, in stock form it already goes around a road course quicker than the GTR or a 911 turbo...food for thought.
I really like the Z28. I think its fantastic. For the price though I couldn't skip C6Z's and ZR1's.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:59 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kins13y
I really like the Z28. I think its fantastic. For the price though I couldn't skip C6Z's and ZR1's.
This may sound crazy, but I don't think the C6Z is on the same level as the Z28, the brakes/suspension setup are more or less unparalleled. The ZR1 is tough to turn around a track faster than a C6Z and you said you were against superchargers....only knock on the Z28 is the weight, other than that it's more or less a race car.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Kins13y
Instructor

This may sound crazy, but I don't think the C6Z is on the same level as the Z28, the brakes/suspension setup are more or less unparalleled. The ZR1 is tough to turn around a track faster than a C6Z and you said you were against superchargers....only knock on the Z28 is the weight, other than that it's more or less a race car.
I checked the Motortrend Laguna fast list, I understand this is a little bench racing here but its about the closest thing to a comparable test between different cars I think you can get. They have the 2012 C6Z going around the track 3 seconds faster than the Z/28, yes that's the carbon ceramic brakes, and stickier tires. They also have an 06Z going around the track three seconds slower than the Z/28. My point here is you could save a solid chunk of money and throw some nicer wheels and match the tire of a Z/28 (sticky-ness) and I think also match the time. That being said that's mighty impressive for a Camaro, however writing off the Z06 to it in my opinion isn't something that should be done. Either way both would be a blast.

Quick Reply: [Z06] C7 zo6