Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] 156+ in 1/2 mile roll racing. Mucho fun!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:36 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 156+ in 1/2 mile roll racing. Mucho fun!

Ran my 416 Stroker equipped 04 Z this last Sat at a 1/2 mile roll racing event in Gila Bend Az. Managed a best of 156+mph. 15 or so passes and could have done 25. Weather was great and one of the funnest events I've done with the car. I highly suggest it if you get the chance!
Old 12-15-2014, 08:28 PM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs1vette
Ran my 416 Stroker equipped 04 Z this last Sat at a 1/2 mile roll racing event in Gila Bend Az. Managed a best of 156+mph. 15 or so passes and could have done 25. Weather was great and one of the funnest events I've done with the car. I highly suggest it if you get the chance!
What modd/ cam in the stroker?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:26 AM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Can't tell you the cam specs. It's got a little bit of a lope, but I told the engine builder it was going to see a lot of street use so according to him we left 30+hp on the table going this more conservative cam.

Running a stock LS3 intake and Nick Williams 90mm TB with 1 7/8" ARH catted headers and X pipe into a stock TI exhaust and just recently elec cutouts. Stock 3.42 gears and MN12 trans.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:10 AM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Can't tell you the cam specs. It's got a little bit of a lope, but I told the engine builder it was going to see a lot of street use so according to him we left 30+hp on the table going this more conservative cam.

Running a stock LS3 intake and Nick Williams 90mm TB with 1 7/8" ARH catted headers and X pipe into a stock TI exhaust and just recently elec cutouts. Stock 3.42 gears and MN12 trans.
Trying to figure my cam specs now. Hardest part of the build.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:32 AM
dbs1vette
Drifting

After it was finished and on the dyno in my other car (02 Camaro) the shops dyno owner was telling me he and the shop owner who was the engine builder got into a rather large argument in regards to the cam selected for my engine. The dyno guy assured me he would have picked a cam with another 50-60hp that could still be driven on the street.

My car still has a little surging at low rpm that I can live with, but much more and it certainly wouldn't be fun as a dd. I hesitate to think what the dyno guys idea of a street cam is, as he had a truck with a cam that bucked and snorted like a wild mustang fresh off the range.

Cam selection is a tough one as different guys ideas of "street ability" come into play. I went with the cam selected by the shop owner as he was closer to my age by 25 years and I felt he had a better feel for what I wanted to live with as well as not tearing the engine down on a regular basis. I'll trade a little hp for everyday drive ability.

If your not going to spend much time on the street with it, then that opens up a lot more possibilities. As I've found with the car in two different vehicles now though, a 3" exhaust with straight through style mufflers definitely free up hp on the top end (Camaro) whereas something that necks the exhaust down and and has lots of bends and restrictive mufflers (Corvette) sure limits the upper end (20-30hp). Even with elec cutouts I'm still down 20hp.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:27 PM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

After it was finished and on the dyno in my other car (02 Camaro) the shops dyno owner was telling me he and the shop owner who was the engine builder got into a rather large argument in regards to the cam selected for my engine. The dyno guy assured me he would have picked a cam with another 50-60hp that could still be driven on the street.

My car still has a little surging at low rpm that I can live with, but much more and it certainly wouldn't be fun as a dd. I hesitate to think what the dyno guys idea of a street cam is, as he had a truck with a cam that bucked and snorted like a wild mustang fresh off the range.

Cam selection is a tough one as different guys ideas of "street ability" come into play. I went with the cam selected by the shop owner as he was closer to my age by 25 years and I felt he had a better feel for what I wanted to live with as well as not tearing the engine down on a regular basis. I'll trade a little hp for everyday drive ability.

If your not going to spend much time on the street with it, then that opens up a lot more possibilities. As I've found with the car in two different vehicles now though, a 3" exhaust with straight through style mufflers definitely free up hp on the top end (Camaro) whereas something that necks the exhaust down and and has lots of bends and restrictive mufflers (Corvette) sure limits the upper end (20-30hp). Even with elec cutouts I'm still down 20hp.

My car will be a 416. Ported Fast 102 to match the ported Trickflow 225cnc heads with hopefully a "streetable" cam my wife will like.

Currently the car is a full bolt on with 228R 113 cam and my wife has no issues with it and actually likes the chop.

Get notified of new replies

To 156+ in 1/2 mile roll racing. Mucho fun!

Quick Reply: [Z06] 156+ in 1/2 mile roll racing. Mucho fun!