[Z06] Rocker panel damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 AM
Givemeaboost
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Rocker panel damage

We seriously damaged the passenger side rocker panel on a 2003 Z06 trying to load it on a trailer. The damage is all underneath the car. I really don't know a lot about these things. So my questions are... Is it the same thing as a side skirt? Does it come up on to the outside of the car anywhere? Can you buy a new rocker panel/side skirt or would we be better off taking it and having it fixed?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

As I recall, the C5 rocker panels are no longer available from GM. Also, they are bonded on to the car and are a structural member of the car, are almost impossible to remove and are very difficult to install if you can get one. The bottom line is DO NOT DAMAGE the rocker panels.
Since you have already done so it sounds like you may need an experienced Corvette repair shop to correct the damage. If you think you can repair the damage yourself remember that you are not working with fiberglass but with SMC, or sheet molded composite. This requires a different resin than fiberglass.
After the car is repaired there are products you can buy to protect the rockers. On my lowered Z06 my rockers are 4 inches above the ground. They are protected by my long tube headers and cats, with the cats being 3 1/2 inches above the ground. I have banged them a few times.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:24 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know about the repair, but Elite Engineering has aluminum or composite frame rail protectors to prevent it from happening again.

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/c5-corvette/
Old 12-15-2014, 11:08 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

^^ That's what I run. They rub speed bumps before the rockers. they have the added benefit of including jack pads.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Givemeaboost
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
As I recall, the C5 rocker panels are no longer available from GM. Also, they are bonded on to the car and are a structural member of the car, are almost impossible to remove and are very difficult to install if you can get one. The bottom line is DO NOT DAMAGE the rocker panels.
Since you have already done so it sounds like you may need an experienced Corvette repair shop to correct the damage. If you think you can repair the damage yourself remember that you are not working with fiberglass but with SMC, or sheet molded composite. This requires a different resin than fiberglass.
After the car is repaired there are products you can buy to protect the rockers. On my lowered Z06 my rockers are 4 inches above the ground. They are protected by my long tube headers and cats, with the cats being 3 1/2 inches above the ground. I have banged them a few times.
Thank you so much for the info. I'm trying to learn as much as I can. This is all very useful!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Givemeaboost
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by john8642
Don't know about the repair, but Elite Engineering has aluminum or composite frame rail protectors to prevent it from happening again.

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/c5-corvette/
Thank you! That is an excellent idea
Old 12-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Givemeaboost
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
^^ That's what I run. They rub speed bumps before the rockers. they have the added benefit of including jack pads.
Thank you! Awesome! Good to know

Get notified of new replies

To Rocker panel damage

Quick Reply: [Z06] Rocker panel damage