Sponsored by:

[Z06] Possible Z purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:00 AM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Possible Z purchase

Hello all! Damn I haven't been on here in years! I may be possibly purchasing a 2003 Z. I don't have too many details on the car yet as I found it at my local Buick dealer while browsing the web.

It's a black 2003 Z with 83k on the clock. Carfax says it was in Virginia for 59,000 miles of its life and was then in Washington state. It's a 3 owner car, with the last owner only putting 3000 miles on it here in Cali, then it was traded in. Dealer wants $18,500 for it and I think they are nuts. I still need to take a closer look at it to check for all the common issues. I am going to offer $16000 if I end up wanting it.

I've never owned a Corvette and it's always been a dream of mine to own a Z06 as I know for a fact they are amazing cars for the price. I've had a couple of GTOs, one being supercharged with over 500hp to the wheels. I worked for Chevy for 10 years as well. So I know my way around GM cars.

Looking at these C5 Z's right now just shows that they will still put a whoopin' on the newer stuff out these days. And only for a fraction of the cost.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:21 AM
johnnyzvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't go wrong with a C5Z! Great power, beautiful looks. I have an 02Z06 and love it! Good luck, hope you get it!
Old 01-22-2015, 12:18 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The 03 and 4 Z's were the best built, without the valve spring and trans issues that were on the early cars

Buy the car change the fluids if needed put on a new set of Michelines and enjoy.

I daily drive an 02Z when I bought it I only had to repair the heater control unit and the burp tank it cost me less than 100 bucks to make all the repairs needed.

I wouldn't buy the car myself because it is black, I don't need another job keeping a car clean.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:26 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
The 03 and 4 Z's were the best built, without the valve spring and trans issues that were on the early cars

Buy the car change the fluids if needed put on a new set of Michelines and enjoy.

I daily drive an 02Z when I bought it I only had to repair the heater control unit and the burp tank it cost me less than 100 bucks to make all the repairs needed.

I wouldn't buy the car myself because it is black, I don't need another job keeping a car clean.
Thanks for the tips Bob. I definitely agree about the color. I luuuuuuuv black cars and trucks. But I've never owned one for the reason you mentioned. My sister only buys black cars and she is always cleaning them. This Z might be an exception though. Here's the link to the Z.
http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1732fca5
Old 01-22-2015, 12:36 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi and welcome back. IMO that sounds high for the mileage....I got my 2003 Z from a forum seller for $22k, with 29k miles and some excellent motor work (460rwhp) 3 years ago. Hold out and find a private seller car off the forum IMO.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:21 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Hi and welcome back. IMO that sounds high for the mileage....I got my 2003 Z from a forum seller for $22k, with 29k miles and some excellent motor work (460rwhp) 3 years ago. Hold out and find a private seller car off the forum IMO.
Hello MotoJB. Seems we like the same thing

But your right. $18k+ is too much for this Z. Going to look at it first.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:35 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Nice! Great picture...

Yep but I haven't been on track for 5 years now. I miss it...but my neck doesn't.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:14 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Nice! Great picture...

Yep but I haven't been on track for 5 years now. I miss it...but my neck doesn't.

Excellent pic. The new season is about to start over here. Looks like you use to race in the expert class. Sorry to hear about your neck. Racing is like a drug. Once the needle goes in, it's over. My season will be short this year due to the club's new schedual being weird. My work and thier schedual ain't gonna work to well this year. But I'm still going to make it to about 4 races.

As far as the Z goes. The sales guy called me and said the car is super clean. Told me the paint isn't faded and the front isn't all scuffed up. Looking at the pics, this Z has been driven. The anniversary emblem on the front fascia looks pretty worn. Sales guy said this was a highway car. 90% of the miles are are all highway. I still need to look at it. I'll be headed there at lunch time tomorrow. I'll post some pics once I get them.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:46 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EVLGTO
Excellent pic. The new season is about to start over here. Looks like you use to race in the expert class. Sorry to hear about your neck. Racing is like a drug. Once the needle goes in, it's over. My season will be short this year due to the club's new schedual being weird. My work and thier schedual ain't gonna work to well this year. But I'm still going to make it to about 4 races.

As far as the Z goes. The sales guy called me and said the car is super clean. Told me the paint isn't faded and the front isn't all scuffed up. Looking at the pics, this Z has been driven. The anniversary emblem on the front fascia looks pretty worn. Sales guy said this was a highway car. 90% of the miles are are all highway. I still need to look at it. I'll be headed there at lunch time tomorrow. I'll post some pics once I get them.
Thanks, yeah, I was an "expert"! LOL. I went pretty well for a large, "old" guy and had a lot of fun. It is addicting.

Sounds exactly like what a car salesman would say. Be wary of his claimed usage and history. I prefer to buy from someone that has the real history and service records, first hand.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

Old 01-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Z06Corey
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Of course its mostly "highway" miles!

It would be good if you could score it for $16k. Over this way you'd probably be stuck in the $17-$18k range.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:26 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06Corey
Of course its mostly "highway" miles!

It would be good if you could score it for $16k. Over this way you'd probably be stuck in the $17-$18k range.
Exactly what I was thinking. $16k otd would be a winner.

Well I went and saw the Z. Drove it, took a real good look and listen. Car is super solid. That Z is a damn beast. Clutch is solid, has new front rotors and pads. Tires are about 70%. No burning smells. Everything works. The driver's seat does rock a little. No holes and very little wear on the seat bolsters and leather.

Paint looks great. No fading anywhere, but has the typical very light hairline scratches that can be seen on black cars. The rear axles are dry, but the center pumpkin looks like it's sweating a little. But nothing leaking at all.

Only thing I don't like is it has some ugly aftermarket led clear/chrome tail lights and a cheap *** shift **** that's broken. I believe it also has *** short shifter. Unless Corvettes come with very short shifting transmissions.
Newer interstate battery installed. Looked under the tray and wires, no acid stains anywhere.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:49 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

ME TOO ME TOO

recently parted this bike out but will eventually get another dedicated track bike.

new c5 z owner here as well, wouldnt trade it for anything, except for a panigale R
LOL
Attached Images   
Old 01-22-2015, 09:00 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~
ME TOO ME TOO

recently parted this bike out but will eventually get another dedicated track bike.

new c5 z owner here as well, wouldnt trade it for anything, except for a panigale R
LOL
Nice Kawi! I see you had a lot of nice "go fast" bits on her.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:11 AM
Z06Corey
Racer

Originally Posted by EVLGTO
Only thing I don't like is it has some ugly aftermarket led clear/chrome tail lights and a cheap *** shift **** that's broken. I believe it also has *** short shifter. Unless Corvettes come with very short shifting transmissions..
Urg..that would scare me away. I associate mods like that with an immature driver. At least the car sounds to be in decent shape otherwise.

The stock shifter is like a truck, so the stock one was cut, or a C6/aftermarket shifter was installed.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 AM
Z06Corey
Racer

I was never into the track (mostly had to due with time constraints) but I rode streetbikes for about 12 years. I remember getting a new 2001 GSXR1000 for $8,500 USD out the door, delivered to Connecticut in 2001 (MSRP was a little over $12K at that time). Back when the USD was strong!

Put over 30K on that bike in about 4 years. I had one season I did over 10,000 miles. Luckily I was young and could withstand the seating position!
Old 01-23-2015, 09:22 AM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Thanks for noticing , it was a 25,000 bike worth 5 grand lol as is any hobby toy with tons of aftermarket goodies.

I loved track days, will def miss it

Nothing beats backing the car out , washing it and going for a Sat cruise though!!!
Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Go to your local craigslist,, or the C5 FS section here on the forum.. Stay away from the stealership... Never been into bikes, BUT those are some pretty cool race pics....

Get notified of new replies

To Possible Z purchase

Old 01-23-2015, 12:49 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

I've looked at some of the cars for sale in here and there are some great cars to be had. Alot of them are out of state. Very clean. But the prices are a little steeper.

I'm currently trying to make a deal on the C5 Z I test drove at the stealership. Trying to get it for $15k otd. If this is possible, I'm going for it. It's a solid car for the price. I've been checking around craigslist and other dealerships. People are asking too much. This Z was originally priced at $21k, which is nuts. Then brought down to $18,400, which I think is still high.

I was quoted $50 a month from my insurance company with full coverage and $500 deductible. Not bad at all for a Z.

We will see what happens in the next hour or so.

Another thing. When I went on the test drive, another Vette happen to be coming the opposite way and the guy waved. Didn't know you Vette guys did the wave. That's pretty awesome.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:48 PM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I had 3 06 gtos. The z is more fun!

I also thought valve springs were a concern in 03. I thought 02 and 03 had it the worst.

Side note, I have been tempted to get a bike and track it. I promised to never ride on the main roads so this would be a way I could have a bike lol. I have dirtbikes and think I would be addicted to tracking sport bikes. Would love to know more about the whole sport/hobby! Are courses all over? Is it very expensive? I would probably get a 600 at first, is that smart? I wouldn't want a cheap no title bike since I would care about resale.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:26 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

there are 4-5 tracks within about a 3 to4 hrs of Ya

They aren't too bad

Looks through midwesttrackdays , sportbiketracktime and mcra
motorcycle club racing association

They give dates, tracks, times and prices

Quick Reply: [Z06] Possible Z purchase