Sponsored by:

[Z06] Suspension, and seat questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Qkslvrc5z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension, and seat questions

First off I was wondering if there's a way to lower my drivers seat? I'm about 6ft and when I put my helmet on at the track I have to keep my head to the side or lean my seat back so I don't hit the roof.

Next I've been looking at QA1 adjustable non-coilover shocks. And was wondering if anyone else was running them. Are they really worth it? How well do they work? How much did you drop your 60ft? And how good are they on the street?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:30 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Post your questions in the autocross/road racing section for better responses.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:00 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What year is your car? Newer cars have less headroom
Old 01-29-2015, 08:24 AM
Qkslvrc5z
Instructor

Car is an 02 z06

I use the car for drag racing and semi agressive turns on some curvey roads near my house.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:10 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Qkslvrc5z
Car is an 02 z06

I use the car for drag racing and semi agressive turns on some curvey roads near my house.
Well, that takes that idea out... If you have some fixed mounts built, you can definitely gain some headroom; you may be able to gain a little bit with manual rails, since the power rails are pretty big, but I'm not certain. They'll definitely have more info on the autocross board.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

QA-1's are primarily a drag shock. Not compatible with fast turns, autocross or road course duty.

What you are asking for doesn't exist in a non-adjustable shock. A drag shock requires a different relationship between compression and rebound than a road racing shock. A better choice would be some sort of double adjustable shock that will let you adjust compression and rebound separately. There is a post over in the tech section where a member is unhappy with is purchase of QA-1's on the street for just that reason.

The bottom line is that to do what you want to do tends to be expensive because you now are talking double or even triple adjustable shocks and those don't come cheap for good ones.

Also, shocks are like women, the good ones aren't cheap, so don't think that you are going to do this without spending a good chunk of money to do it right.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:22 PM
Qkslvrc5z
Instructor

I want an adjustable shock, just want a non coilover shock. Qa1 builds a non coilover shock that you can get single, or double adjustable. I'm just trying to see how other people like them, I don't autocross the car, I just go through some curves semi agressive just to enjoy my car some.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:58 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

I want an adjustable shock, just want a non coilover shock. Qa1 builds a non coilover shock that you can get single, or double adjustable. I'm just trying to see how other people like them, I don't autocross the car, I just go through some curves semi agressive just to enjoy my car some.
If your are trying to "enjoy the curves" you are looking for a good performance shock that is tuned for handling. That isn't a QA-1. It is primarily intended for drag racing. If you want a good 60 foot time the QA-1 is probably a good shock.

But don't expect the QA-1 even when reset to the limits of its adjustment to handle very well. It just isn't in the valving.

Probably better to get a set of double adjustable Koni's or a set of Penske's and learn how to adjust them. The Koni's aren't easily adjustable (you can adjust rebound easily but compression is harder to do on the car), but the Penske's have remote adjusters that are pretty easy to do on the car. Neither of those shocks are cheap, and there are others such as Olin's or some others. These shocks have the potential to do what you want to do, but the cost is pretty high.

Lastly, the stock 04 Z06 shocks actually are very good when it comes to bite off the line. The valving is very different from what was earlier on the car and they work exceptionally well.

Since you could do those for about 1/4 that of an adjustable shock, and they work in the curves too, it might be a very good compromise and you don't have to try to figure out how to tune it.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:03 AM
Deputy_Dangle
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The QA-1 set up isn't what your looking for. But I highly doubt you need/want a double adjustable setup for street use, especially if you know how or don't want to learn how to set them up properly. If you don't want full coilovers then look into a set of Koni yellows. Stance also makes a set of budget coilovers, I have had their products on a few other cars and they seem to be good quality.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:26 AM
Qkslvrc5z
Instructor

I've never had an adjustable shock for my own cars. But my dad has 2 cars I've helped him set up so I'm familiar with what a car needs, to plant the back end well. But one is a stripped backhalfed fiber glass front clip tube chassis 68 camaro race car the other is a street strip transam that is driven on the street to car shows and not much else really
Old 01-31-2015, 12:11 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

I've never had an adjustable shock for my own cars. But my dad has 2 cars I've helped him set up so I'm familiar with what a car needs, to plant the back end well. But one is a stripped backhalfed fiber glass front clip tube chassis 68 camaro race car the other is a street strip transam that is driven on the street to car shows and not much else really
Adjusting shocks for straight line as opposed to corners is very different. The previous posts are spot on, if your primary criteria is drag performance QA-1s will be okay. But it will fall far short of Koni or the new Ridetechs in corners.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Qkslvrc5z
Instructor

I really want just an all around improvement, if I lose some cornering performance that's fine. I mainly want straight performance but my car is mainly a street and strip car.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

I really want just an all around improvement, if I lose some cornering performance that's fine. I mainly want straight performance but my car is mainly a street and strip car.
You seem to be leaning toward a drag shock and that's fine if you're mostly strip oriented, but here's a link to someone who bought the QA-1's and is driving them on the street and isn't happy with them.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588857361

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension, and seat questions

Quick Reply: [Z06] Suspension, and seat questions