Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Need advice...sell C5Z for 1st gen camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:31 PM
hifi875
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CTD
Nice! Did you build?
Yep for the most part besides the paint
Old 02-16-2015, 10:24 PM
civlant
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I actually did think about a newer GTO or G8 as an addition but if I'm looking at the replacement option for my C5Z then I want something a little more unique/head turner. That's part of the reason I like my Z so much is because you don't see them all over the place. Not that I see many GTOs or G8s either but its a little different when its a corvette. I wish I could just win the lottery and have both!
Old 02-17-2015, 02:35 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by civlant
Thanks guys. I actually did think about a newer GTO or G8 as an addition but if I'm looking at the replacement option for my C5Z then I want something a little more unique/head turner. That's part of the reason I like my Z so much is because you don't see them all over the place. Not that I see many GTOs or G8s either but its a little different when its a corvette. I wish I could just win the lottery and have both!
Well, that rules out f-body's and 5th gen camaro's too. Maybe a nice subaru or something. Those always stand out to me.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:05 PM
anarchy99
Advanced

Gmc typhoon
Old 02-17-2015, 07:34 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Well, that rules out f-body's and 5th gen camaro's too. Maybe a nice subaru or something. Those always stand out to me.
If you wnt something different don't get a 1st gen Camaro lol. every car show here in TX are full for 1st gen Camaros and Tri 5's. I happen to think the split bumper 2nd gen Camaro is the best looking Camaro made. But that is my personal opinion. Good luck on what ever you decide.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:11 PM
MikeNSX
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by civlant
I actually did think about a newer GTO or G8 as an addition but if I'm looking at the replacement option for my C5Z then I want something a little more unique/head turner.
How about something like this instead of the Camaro? May be selling it in the spring.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:42 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeNSX
How about something like this instead of the Camaro? May be selling it in the spring.

Nice!! How much???
Old 02-18-2015, 01:24 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MikeNSX

Love that car. I often want one because it just looks like it would hit you in the mouth if you start talking junk.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:40 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

more of a style question than anything else. a gen1 camaro has an image and style completely different.

the pros and cons list strongly favors the c5z

but

many people buy cars like clothes, for the fashion

take your pick
Old 02-18-2015, 06:16 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I've had both, and I would recommend a VW GTI. Seriously, you won't have more fun driving anything else, but it's so damn practical. Very easy to get 300 FWHP, which makes for an exciting ride.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:00 PM
anarchy99
Advanced

Wow
Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

others can speak to the driving impression differences, but I have to ask the question, does it matter?

most things say that the c5 z06 is the BEST performance per dollar available today. you won't be able to reproduce the driving experience of the c5, but unless you race (drag, parking lots, road coarse, etc.) does it matter? If you want a boulevard cruiser that has 4 seats to enjoy with your family for cruise nights and the 1st gen Camaro is what you have your eye on, then go ahead. Why not...
Old 02-19-2015, 01:08 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zeevette
I've had both, and I would recommend a VW GTI. Seriously, you won't have more fun driving anything else, but it's so damn practical. Very easy to get 300 FWHP, which makes for an exciting ride.
You can have MUCH more fun in almost anything else. The GTI is almost as good as the fiesta st, which isn't nearly as good as the focus st. I had the displeasure of taking out a golf R the other day. It made the list of one of the most memorably bad cars I've driven in a long time.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:29 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
You can have MUCH more fun in almost anything else. The GTI is almost as good as the fiesta st, which isn't nearly as good as the focus st. I had the displeasure of taking out a golf R the other day. It made the list of one of the most memorably bad cars I've driven in a long time.
I drove one of those ford focus st's just outta curiosity, back to back against a Taurus SHO - at the time I had just paid off my bolted g8 GT the SHO made me yawn and felt cramped and too high seating position, the focus was a riot.

IMO- absolute best bang for the buck and fun for your dollar for a DD (and I'm biased being in MA) is either a Subaru WRX or STi. Year round grins- run performance snows in the winter then ultra high performance summer only rubber the rest of the year, down pipe, factory exhaust upgrade, intake, Cobb tune and you've got a LEGIT performance vehicle that is as useful heading up to the ski mountain as it is ripping up some country back roads in late June.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:32 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Starting to drift OT, but since I've gotten older, I have learned to appreciate things like quality, which the VW has in spades. And if you don't think a FWD can be fun to drive; I would suggest most of the above cars mentioned for FUN. If you want fun, but quality matters... I would have lots of fun driving my Corvette, if I had a race track in my neighborhood, but just around town, it's noisy, smelly, can attract the wrong kind of attention, and there's no traction below illegal speeds.
Depending on region of the country, and whether the car's had a quality, ground-up resto, the first gen F have lots of hidden areas that rust badly. My best friend, who also owns a C5, has restored two 69 Camaros, and they were a lot more work than he planned, just because of rust. My personal favorite is the 67SS, which I owned in high school.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:46 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
others can speak to the driving impression differences, but I have to ask the question, does it matter?

most things say that the c5 z06 is the BEST performance per dollar available today. you won't be able to reproduce the driving experience of the c5, but unless you race (drag, parking lots, road coarse, etc.) does it matter? If you want a boulevard cruiser that has 4 seats to enjoy with your family for cruise nights and the 1st gen Camaro is what you have your eye on, then go ahead. Why not...
evo8 is the other if you're looking for pure performance

evo is actually a bit better as it's ability to use traction is higher
Old 02-19-2015, 05:00 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Assuming you get rid of your C5Z, what's the maximum budget?

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice...sell C5Z for 1st gen camaro?

Old 02-19-2015, 10:17 PM
anarchy99
Advanced

That's why I posted typhoon... Family room, can be had for fairly cheap now(under 10k), and it's AWD and turbo like the subarus but rare and still from the general... Still upsets alot of things street light to street light, and you'll have the only one at a local car show...
Old 02-19-2015, 10:47 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by racebum
evo8 is the other if you're looking for pure performance

evo is actually a bit better as it's ability to use traction is higher
Yeah but turbo lag and fuel economy both suck. Plus, let's be honest. It's a lancer, and it looks like a lancer. It seems like we all agree though, pass on the first gen camaro.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:53 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

keep the Z and add the camaro

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need advice...sell C5Z for 1st gen camaro?