Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Squeaky Clutch after Ranger Method fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:10 PM
Rosborn88
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Clutch after Ranger Method fluid change?

Just performed the "ranger method" fluid change on my clutch master cylinder. Noticed after the second fluid swap, that clutch is squeaky now, any ideas? It's an 02 Z with 37k on the clock. Bought her a year ago and have not experienced this until this evening. Fluid was due for a swap. Appreciate the any insight? Have not taken her for a spin post change, or for a while for that matter. weather continues to be, less than desirable here in Maryland. Thanks Guys.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:33 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Do you mean the clutch pedal squeaks inside the cockpit now, or do you mean something else? If it is the clutch pedal and the sound is coming from the footwell, but inside the car, I suspect you just pumped the pedal a bunch in the process of doing your fluid change and it is squeaking a bit.

Others may have thoughts, but if it is the clutch pedal, I can look at the shop manual and see if there is a lubrication fix (like lithium grease, etc.) that can be applied under the dash.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Rosborn88
Intermediate

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Do you mean the clutch pedal squeaks inside the cockpit now, or do you mean something else? If it is the clutch pedal and the sound is coming from the footwell, but inside the car, I suspect you just pumped the pedal a bunch in the process of doing your fluid change and it is squeaking a bit.

Others may have thoughts, but if it is the clutch pedal, I can look at the shop manual and see if there is a lubrication fix (like lithium grease, etc.) that can be applied under the dash.
Thanks for your reply "Quick04Z06". I should have specified where the sound comes from in my OP. It's definitely originating in the engine compartment. Sounds just like a hydraulics squeak.

Rob
Old 03-05-2015, 03:17 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosborn88
Thanks for your reply "Quick04Z06". I should have specified where the sound comes from in my OP. It's definitely originating in the engine compartment. Sounds just like a hydraulics squeak.

Rob
Not sure what to say about that. If I get a minute, I will take a look at the manual, but it is possible with the Ranger method to draw too much fluid and get air into the system. I could see where air would cause the system to sound different.

Maybe others will chime in.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Normal. Once you start the car, it goes away. The first time mine did that, I freaked. Nothing to worry about.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:04 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Normal. Once you start the car, it goes away. The first time mine did that, I freaked. Nothing to worry about.
Second this.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Rosborn88
Intermediate

Update:

Thank you to those who provided feedback, been out for a drive twice now since I first observed the squeak after the clutch fluid swap. It's gone and I agree that the last 2 comments of "normal" after the fluid change were the case. Time for spring cruising!

Get notified of new replies

To Squeaky Clutch after Ranger Method fluid change?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Squeaky Clutch after Ranger Method fluid change?