Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] tuning a near stock C5Z worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

I say yes to tune it. I can think of much worse things to spend money on.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:47 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
383/362 plus increased rev limit to 7k with dynojet tune, stock '04Z with vararam. Cost $600 for the tune+vararam, gained 28 whp from 355 stock plus a few mph in 2nd gear for autox with the increased limiter.
Those are darn good numbers for nothing more than a tune and Vararam CAI.

Headers would only net you about 5-10 more HP than those numbers. Of course with the 1 3/4s you would have more midrange torque.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:53 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 04silverZ06
I'm thinking of swapping in a Magnaflow X pipe as well if I get the tune while it's at the shop.

PS - not to derail this thread but the Honker is supposed to be one of the best CAI's available for the C5.
If you are going with the Honker and changing exhaust, I highly recommend the tune. Might as well get it dyno tuned at the same time, unless you are also planning on adding headers soon.

Changing the exhaust and intake is probably going to cause you to throw lean codes. Did mine.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:50 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
Is it safe to rev to 7k on stock valve train? Also how is your power curve past 6500? Your post seriously spiked my interest.

Edit: So after some research it seems like a beefier timing chain (from LS2) and changing valve springs are two points to consider if you go this route. As with anything on this forum, its disputable haha
I don't have a copy of the 383 run but these are the 3 runs before final tweaks. I plan to stick with stock valve springs but will probably put in a fresh set this fall/winter, car has 50k miles on the originals from 04. Some guys have run 7200 RPM. I figure the LS6 lightweight valves make it less risky than most other setups but I'm no expert to be honest.

technically I also have corsa xtreme mufflers and x-pipe along with a monster lightweight flywheel which might add a couple of extra hp at the wheels
Old 04-01-2015, 10:18 AM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been told that CAI without headers is a prime candidate for dyno over mail order due to the increased pressure and temp in cats. CAI and headers is a more well known combo and there are many mail order tunes for that, but without headers the temp pressure increase can be problematic.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:42 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeriderga

Headers would only net you about 5-10 more HP than those numbers. Of course with the 1 3/4s you would have more midrange torque.
he ran it on a dynojet, I have the same mods on my '03 Z and made about 10 less TQ and around 368whp if I remember correctly. Dynojets always read higher than mustang dynos and the mustang dyno I ran on (slowhawk in bridgewater, ma) is notoriously low.

So, in essence I don't think his numbers are high, dynojets are inherently on the high side and that one may be higher than some others. What is more important are the before and after gains as well as actual times.

I do think he would still gain 20whp and break 400whp on that same dyno should he add headers.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:04 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NASA requires that all competitors use dynojet numbers for classing so that's what I sought to be tuned/measured on, but yeah the main point is that intake+tune can add a significant amount of power over stock.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:36 PM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeriderga

I got the same HP with just my Blackwing and tune, but with 10 more in TQ.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Chevrolet would have engineered it to withstand more than the 6600 fuel cut off limit but for what kind of longevity. Would love to hear from one of the engineers on that but thanks for the graph. Power slightly tapers but will put you better back in the power band depending on the gear i'd assume.

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I don't have a copy of the 383 run but these are the 3 runs before final tweaks. I plan to stick with stock valve springs but will probably put in a fresh set this fall/winter, car has 50k miles on the originals from 04. Some guys have run 7200 RPM. I figure the LS6 lightweight valves make it less risky than most other setups but I'm no expert to be honest.

technically I also have corsa xtreme mufflers and x-pipe along with a monster lightweight flywheel which might add a couple of extra hp at the wheels

Quick Reply: [Z06] tuning a near stock C5Z worth it?