Sponsored by:

[Z06] Opinions on work estimate mount tires/shocks etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:22 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Default Opinions on work estimate mount tires/shocks etc

Getting ready to unleash the beast in 2-3 weeks, and figured before I really take it outta storage and start driving it better get my mods/maintenance outta the way while the weather is still spotty.

I have 4 nittos to mount/balance - was quoted $20/tire by dealer, $50 if they're run flats. They're not so $80 seems extremely reasonable, need to make sure they're doing road force balancing. Also checked w/ corvette mike New England- quoted $220, seems night to me, I am guessing a) they assume run flats, and b) they don't have the equipment on site to do it and therefore sub it out and try to make a modest profit.

I have new bilsteins to install all 4 corners- corvette mike said approximately 2 hrs @ $90/hr- est. $180. Dealer quoted hard $147 front and $98 rear- $245. I have seen installs on YouTube, don't see how it could possibly be more than a 2 hr job by a shop familiar w/ vettes, so corvette mike gets the nod there.

I have an MGW shifter to install....was debating doing it myself, but tempting to have corvette mike do the install, said they have installed these before (plus for me) and wouldn't expect it to take more than 2 hrs....it would realistically take me double as I'd take a lot of time, have a buddy help out, and have a few a beverages in the process.

Dealer also quoted $80 for the alignment post shocks/tire install...I'm guessing I'll need one.

These rates sound reasonable? Anyone in New England familiar w/ corvette mikes work (purchased the car from them & they replaced ac system for me already)?? I really don't want to have any issues w/ the MGW post install, so even tho I have never installed one before I am leaning toward doing that myself.

Any other shop recommendations in southern ma for this kind of work? I have had plenty of performance work done @ slowhawk performance, but I doubt higher have the time to mess w/ this stuff this time of the year.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:54 AM
janky
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell you the MGW is quite easy to install (I've done mine twice), there's no reason why you shouldn't be entirely capable of that yourself and I find it more satisfying in the end. MGW has youtube videos covering it in detail.

I can't give you any feedback on your general pricing requests but personally I don't ever use dealerships for service. I might make an exception for mounting and balancing tires, however we have America's Tire shops all over here and they've always given me great customer service and good pricing.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by janky
I can tell you the MGW is quite easy to install (I've done mine twice), there's no reason why you shouldn't be entirely capable of that yourself and I find it more satisfying in the end. MGW has youtube videos covering it in detail.

I can't give you any feedback on your general pricing requests but personally I don't ever use dealerships for service. I might make an exception for mounting and balancing tires, however we have America's Tire shops all over here and they've always given me great customer service and good pricing.
Yeah the only reason I'd have someone else install the MGW is due to my travel schedule for work if I had a trustworthy shop where I could just drop the Z off and get ALL the work done (tires/shocks/MGW/oil change/clutch flush) and just pick it up and be done w/ it/ready for spring it is just easier. Otherwise I'll probably do it myself.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:43 AM
dan1546
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly none of those quotes seem out of line and 20 a tire for mounting and balancing is pretty good.

2 hours to install the mgw is about right but it is a pretty easy install and with all the info online something you can probably do yourself if you are so inclined...
Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Should I assume I'll need an alignment after having the tires mounted and shocks installed? I figured may as well rather than pick it up and have it be off then have to bring it back again...but on the other hand I have had bad luck messing w/ a good alignment on a sports car, seems like it sometimes takes a # of attempts to get it right....right now it tracks straight as an arrow, I'd be ticked off if I get the stuff installed and alignment done and have it be off after the fact when i could have left well enough alone.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:05 PM
XotiK ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do it all myself.

Depending on how they install the shocks, it may require and alignment. Some will pull the top a-arm off which could affect the alignment. If you use zip ties, the top a-arm stays in place and no alignment is necessary. I did my bisteins myself, in my garage in a few hours.

The shifter is rather simple as well about, 45 minutes in a weekend.

I pull wheels and take them to a guy I trust for the tire install. $10 each with balance.

I am one of those guys who does everything myself. That is only way I know it is done right, and I like doing it.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:01 PM
janky
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
Should I assume I'll need an alignment after having the tires mounted and shocks installed? I figured may as well rather than pick it up and have it be off then have to bring it back again...but on the other hand I have had bad luck messing w/ a good alignment on a sports car, seems like it sometimes takes a # of attempts to get it right....right now it tracks straight as an arrow, I'd be ticked off if I get the stuff installed and alignment done and have it be off after the fact when i could have left well enough alone.
Technically speaking you shouldn't need an alignment after changing tires and shocks. Unless you are noticing uneven tire wear from an alignment problem, there's really no reason to check it.

I will say that having my alignment altered to an aggressive street setup improved the feel of the car.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:25 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by XotiK ZO6
I would do it all myself.

Depending on how they install the shocks, it may require and alignment. Some will pull the top a-arm off which could affect the alignment. If you use zip ties, the top a-arm stays in place and no alignment is necessary. I did my bisteins myself, in my garage in a few hours.

The shifter is rather simple as well about, 45 minutes in a weekend.

I pull wheels and take them to a guy I trust for the tire install. $10 each with balance.

I am one of those guys who does everything myself. That is only way I know it is done right, and I like doing it.

Would like to do all work myself- not enough time. If I added up all the time jus to the Z06 could have devoted to it between detailing/waxing & washing, regular maintenance, performance mods, appearance mods, before we even get into actually driving it- then considered it is only driveable 6-7 months a year in MA - well you really need to prioritize how you spend you time & money on a hobby car like a Vette & how you allocate your time in general.

More power to you if you have the time & resources to doing all you mods and maintenance yourself (I'm actually jealous) - but not everyone has the time - even if they have the ability.

You could argue the guys who don't do their own mods and wrenching are less true "car guys" or "passionate" etc vs those who do, and you may have a point, but in my case I'd retort: what is more "manly" or a "car guy" thing to do- spend the majority of the time toiling over the car and squeezing in your time to actually enjoy it for what it is, or the guy who farms out the work and tries to get a decent deal/modest price on the work and then proceeds to spend the rest of the time allocated to the car to driving the **** outta it and putting it through its paces as intended?

I'd rather be in the position to spend equal time doing both, but that's not the case for me now right now.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 AM
lsxvette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

not sure where you are but im in new york and im looking to have a set of coilovers installed now i will let ya know what kinda quotes i get

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on work estimate mount tires/shocks etc

Quick Reply: [Z06] Opinions on work estimate mount tires/shocks etc